28MM Question - Elmarit ASPH or Summaron

B-A-C

• 2 weeks later...

Two extra stops of light come in handy indoors.

I really like the 28 Lux wide open for environmental portraits.

The 28 Lux wide open generally renders beautifully. Sharp across the frame (except extreme edges) but not brutal (like the Zeiss 1.4/35 for example). Beautiful oof rendering, hard to describe what exactly it is that sets it apart from the 35 Lux for example.

The 28 Lux at 2.8 is sharper across the whole frame than the 28 Elmarit.

The (only) advantage of the Elmarit is size and weight imo. 

Edited by anickpick

Thanks.  What about the overall contrast?  The 21mm and 24mm equivalents to the slower lens have striking global contrast / saturation. Their fast brethren have beautiful background renderings but less bite.  (I have a 28mm Summilux and love it, but was wondering what I'd be sacrificing / gaining if I went for less weight, as is sometimes desirable.)

Thanks.  What about the overall contrast?  The 21mm and 24mm equivalents to the slower lens have striking global contrast / saturation. Their fast brethren have beautiful background renderings but less bite.  (I have a 28mm Summilux and love it, but was wondering what I'd be sacrificing / gaining if I went for less weight, as is sometimes desirable.)

I understand the Elmarit has outstanding contrast.  Many say it's better than the Cron.  That being said I'm sure the Lux is awesome as well.  Personal preference.

Well, I was in the same situation. Especially when traveling, less weight is always welcome. That is why I own lenses such as the 28 Elmarit or 90 Macro Elmar.

However, those lenses somehow do not inspire me as much as some of the faster alternatives, and so they do not get much use despite the weight advantage. Of course, this is a personal preference of mine. 

I used to own the 21 Lux (but sold it at some point). I would say the 28 Lux has more micro contrast and a flatter field curvature.

At the same time, the 28 Elmarit, while being a really good lens, does not quite have "the bite" of the 21 Super-Elmar.

Edited by anickpick
  • Like 1

How long did you wait before receiving the summaron? How long are you still watiting?

I ordered about a week after it was officially announced (IIRC) and it was delivered to the shop end of December, so a couple of months wait. After that I had to wait a further 10 weeks to pick it up.

An enthusiast lying in front of the Leica Headquarters in Wetzlar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M10 with 28 Summaron

• Like 4

Has anyone else seen this:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=20258

A reasonable question from The Digital Picture.  I must admit, I'm wondering... 

Besides, it's never in stock yet!

So reasonable it's boring; covered before, elsewhere, by others, any time Leica has released a product like Leica is able to release when one's market dynamic is unique. So far it hasn't even drawn many responses from its members. Too bad, eyeballs and clicks are what it's all about in the blogosphere as is evidenced by the hefty list of advertisers at the bottom. But I did hit the page so I have done my part for the empire...

BOT, Elmarit, unless you want the Summaron, of course.

s-a

• Like 2