28MM Question - Elmarit ASPH or Summaron

B-A-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've noticed before how flare resistant the summaron seems to be, have you managed to track down filters and did you use a filter here?

Yes, I bought a Heliopan yellow 5 in E34 from Lumiere in Germany. I didn't use it in that photo. There's a discussion about filters in this thread (probably best to skip to page 2), which also mentions a third party hood I didn't previously know about that accepts E39 filters.

• Like 1

Interesting... I was set on wanting the Elmarit soon in the future, but in the few photos I have seen, I'm definitely liking the Summron rendering. When I first got my M6, a friend let me borrow the 35 Summaron 3.5 and I really liked that lens a bunch.

I guess I don't take people so literally. I took him to mean it is rather poorly suited for landscape photography compared to the other options available. He explained his reasoning for the statement and it makes sense (at least to me). It's certainly not the lens I would pull out of my bag for landscape photography, given the other options.

If you disagree, that's fine. But an explanation of why you disagree is a lot more cordial, not to mention helpful to the O.P., than a snarky comment.

Yes I appreciate all the comments.  I do want to use a 28 for landscape as well, so I appreciate the information on the quality of landscape photos with the Summaron.

One last shot. M-D, Summaron LTM

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Brightened

• Like 2

My review of the 28mm Summaron in Dutch but with lots of pictures http://www.milanswolfs.be/leica-28mm-summaron/ compared to the older 28mm Summaron in screw mount and the 28mm Hektor f6.3L1008054.jpg

Thank you.  Beautiful review and model.  Translated below.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.milanswolfs.be%2Fleica-28mm-summaron%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Edited by B-A-C
  • Like 2

Just received my new 28 Summaron, and have to say anyone who thinks that because it's a classic design it cannot produce modern optical performance is sadly mistaken.

The image quality is excellent.....EXTREMELY  sharp with excellent contrast through the central areas of the of the image, it softens in the corners so I wouldn't think people would be using it for critical architecture images for instance, but the APPARENT  depth of field when used creatively will be very interesting.

Physically it is very very attractive, and amazingly compact. It certainly has the look and feel of a premium product.....dare I say a "special order product"   ;)

I am EXTREMELY  happy with this lens, it will be on my MM1 permanently....with my 50 Rigid as the complementary lens.

• Like 3

Just received my new 28 Summaron, and have to say anyone who thinks that because it's a classic design it cannot produce modern optical performance is sadly mistaken.

The image quality is excellent.....EXTREMELY  sharp with excellent contrast through the central areas of the of the image, it softens in the corners so I wouldn't think people would be using it for critical architecture images for instance, but the APPARENT  depth of field when used creatively will be very interesting.

Physically it is very very attractive, and amazingly compact. It certainly has the look and feel of a premium product.....dare I say a "special order product"   ;)

I am EXTREMELY  happy with this lens, it will be on my MM1 permanently....with my 50 Rigid as the complementary lens.

Please photographs (everyone), I'm very interested in this lens.

Thanks,

Mike.

Hopefully I can make an image small enough to display, seem to have trouble getting the files small enough for this site.

I have images at Getdpi but can't seem to post them here.

Ah it worked this time....

Hopefully I can make an image small enough to display, seem to have trouble getting the files small enough for this site.

Ah it worked this time....Not the image quality that you see in the DNG and RAW files but   :rolleyes:

I can say that, the image is extremely sharp, shot wide open (as I expect to shoot it other than subjects in close) and I am very happy with the purchase.

Edited by 4X5B&W
  • Like 2

Love this little lens,  Shot yesterday, wide open on M10.   The compression to 1000px and 500k seriously downgrades the image.

• Like 4

At the risk of seeming to change the thread: has anyone compared the new or old Summaron with the Nikkor-W 2.8cm f3.5 from the 1950's. Also, if the optical formula for the new Summaron is the same as the "old" Summaron, is it possible to tell them apart other than by details in the mount?

Please photographs (everyone), I'm very interested in this lens.

There's some photographs and Puts-esque lens evaluation in this recent 'review' (on PC Mag of all places).

Most of the recent photos in my Flickr stream are from this lens – I don't think I've shown them all here.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 3

There's some photographs and Puts-esque lens evaluation in this recent 'review' (on PC Mag of all places).

Most of the recent photos in my Flickr stream are from this lens – I don't think I've shown them all here.

Thanks Ian, most useful. I'll keep an eye on your Flickr site for more examples.

Mike.

• Like 1