28MM Question - Elmarit ASPH or Summaron

B-A-C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new Summaron has caught my eye.  I love the retro looks.  That being said I am also interested in the Elmarit for 28mm.

My main factors are:

- Performance

- Size

- Looks

I haven't had the chance to try it yet but I feel that the Summaron is just too far back in regard to optical performance.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

Optical performance is great (at least on film) – it is not "far back" at all. However, you have to ask yourself whether you'd prefer 0.7m minimum focus, F2.8 aperture, more easily available E39 filter size and no infinity lock. You have to try out both lenses and see for yourself, there is really no point canvassing opinion on an online forum.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

Agreed, the only thing to do is to go and handle the two lenses. If after that you still have not 100% sure feelings about one of them then come back to this post and ask. Of course money no obkect, then you would buy both and sell one a few weeks later.

Getting your hands on a 28 Summaron may not be that easy......ordered one on the day it was announced and I'm still waiting on delivery.

Definitely a special purpose lens, but for people trying to make a decision on buying one, it's difficult.

One can say it has a classic "look" not just physically but optically.

Understanding whether that "look" is for you, can only be answered by trying one.

Edited by 4X5B&W
  • Like 1

Getting your hands on a 28 Summaron may not be that easy......ordered one on the day it was announced and I'm still waiting on delivery.

You might want to chase up your dealer, anecdotally most buyers seem to have received the lens within a month or so of ordering. I was lucky enough to find one in stock with a provincial UK retailer.

I agree with you that the lens has something of a "classic" look. Difficult to describe but I find it sharp in a non-aspherical way, if that makes sense? I tested the lens out a couple of times before buying and although I was predisposed to liking the lens (it had already taken my fancy when I saw it announced) I was immediately struck by the results when I had my films developed. If I hadn't seen something in the results compared with my 28mm Summicron I wouldn't have bought the lens because it is less convenient than the Summicron and Elmarit (for the reasons I wrote above). The "classic" look reminds me of the 50mm lens on the 0-serie replica – very sharp but different to modern Leica lenses.

Is it impossible to show the differences in photos on-line as opposed to when printed?

Does any here use one on a digital M?

It would be impossible for me to borrow one to try out at anything approaching a reasonable cost.

There are quite a few members of the forum who are using this lens with a digital M and numerous examples posted. Personally, I'm not all that taken with the amount of vignetting some of these examples display. This sensor induced vignetting adds a claustrophobic quality to the photographs that I'm not so keen on.

You would be welcome to borrow my lens if you are ever nearby. Leica in Mayfair will happily let you borrow their demo copy as would, I guess, other Leica retailers. I do recommend that you do try it first because it is a slightly fiddly lens to use and there is no substitute for seeing your results with your own eyes.

• Like 3

Very true.  I would like to try one but there is no dealer within hours of where I am.  In fact I'm not sure if the Leica store even has them.  

Definitely a special purpose lens, but for people trying to make a decision on buying one, it's difficult.

Understanding whether that "look" is for you, can only be answered by trying one.

I can't speak too much about the Summaron because I've never tried one. I like the look of images taken with a vintage lens so I would probably like it, but the f/5.6 max. aperture seems too limiting to make it worth the cost. I absolutely love my 28 Elmarit and wouldn't consider selling or trading it. It's small, lightweight, and takes great images. If I had to choose between them, I would choose the Elmarit. Take that for whatever it's worth.

• Like 1

You might want to chase up your dealer, anecdotally most buyers seem to have received the lens within a month or so of ordering. I was lucky enough to find one in stock with a provincial UK retailer.

I agree with you that the lens has something of a "classic" look. Difficult to describe but I find it sharp in a non-aspherical way, if that makes sense? I tested the lens out a couple of times before buying and although I was predisposed to liking the lens (it had already taken my fancy when I saw it announced) I was immediately struck by the results when I had my films developed. If I hadn't seen something in the results compared with my 28mm Summicron I wouldn't have bought the lens because it is less convenient than the Summicron and Elmarit (for the reasons I wrote above). The "classic" look reminds me of the 50mm lens on the 0-serie replica – very sharp but different to modern Leica lenses.

There are quite a few members of the forum who are using this lens with a digital M and numerous examples posted. Personally, I'm not all that taken with the amount of vignetting some of these examples display. This sensor induced vignetting adds a claustrophobic quality to the photographs that I'm not so keen on.

You would be welcome to borrow my lens if you are ever nearby. Leica in Mayfair will happily let you borrow their demo copy as would, I guess, other Leica retailers. I do recommend that you do try it first because it is a slightly fiddly lens to use and there is no substitute for seeing your results with your own eyes.

Thank you Ian. I'm sure that's good advice.

My local dealer, Ffordes, 80-odd miles away, doesn't have a demo copy, so I'll have to wait till I'm next in London. Your offer is very kind. 

• Like 1

Perhaps you could consider to buy the Elmarit 28 to actually use, and substitute a much less expensive Summaron 35 f3.5 for appearance: it looks about the same as the new Summaron 28?

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not the appearance of the lens that's the potential attraction, though it does look nice. It's a combination of the convenience of the very small size and the prospect of what I imagine to be very nice handling of the transitions between bright light and shade which are sometimes dealt with quite abruptly by modern lenses. I think I've seen it in some online photos but I can't recall if they were film-based, whether there was some other explanation, or whether I'm imagining it.

So until I try one I probably won't know whether it's all wishful thinking on my part!

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not the appearance of the lens that's the potential attraction, though it does look nice. It's a combination of the convenience of the very small size and the prospect of what I imagine to be very nice handling of the transitions between bright light and shade which are sometimes dealt with quite abruptly by modern lenses.

If so, then the question is really whether you prefer the vintage look vs. the modern look and whether that look is worth giving up the extra stops of speed. The size, weight, and price differences of the lenses are negligible, though the Elmarit is probably more convenient in actual use.

Have you tried it? As in actually taken photos with it?

No I haven't but I do like what I've seen from others. 

My comment isn't meant to be negative, but if I was only buying one 28mm lens I'd go for the more versatile Elmarit (versatile in terms of being faster and having a less 'characteristic' look, less vignetting etc). 

Do you only have the Summaron or do you have another 28mm to use as well? 

• Like 1

My comment isn't meant to be negative, but if I was only buying one 28mm lens I'd go for the more versatile Elmarit (versatile in terms of being faster and having a less 'characteristic' look, less vignetting etc). 

Do you only have the Summaron or do you have another 28mm to use as well? 

The Elmarit is certainly a fine choice and has advantages that I listed earlier in this thread but I don't recognise your description of the Summaron as a "fun" lens, which to me is something more like a Holga or Lomo lens. The Summaron really is very good indeed and left me deeply impressed when I tested it out late last year.  At £1900 it really ought to be good but that doesn't always follow. I tested the lens a second time after Christmas and seeing the film from that convinced me of its merits. In fact I liked it enough that I seriously considered seeing if I could persuade the Leica shop in Mayfair to sell me their demo lens (not because I didn't want to make an order and wait but because I was concerned that sample variation might mean I wouldn't get such a good one). Fortunately, the one I bought seems as good and I have now sold my 28 Summicron (which answers your second question :D ). Incidentally, the strong vignetting at F5.6 is really a digital thing – it is not like that with film.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1