Choosing a lens for the M246

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just "upgraded" from the MP240 to the M246.  I always convert to b&w and I figured I'd appreciate the Monochrom's improved dynamic range and resolution, not to mention the excellent low-light performance.

With my MP240 I shot the 50mm APO, but today I got to try a Noctilux .95 for the first time.  I'm very torn between the two lenses.  I shoot a wide range of subjects in different settings including street photography and landscapes.  I don't shoot wide open all the time, but I appreciate a shallow DOF.  I also shoot in low light fairly often.  Which of the two lenses should I get?

• Like 1

It's worthy of mention that the 50 APO was designed with the original Monochrom in mind, as this class of sensor better shows off the real resolving power if this optic. Horosu is also correct recommending the Rigid. Sumptuous on the Monochrom. Canon LTM's are also particularly lovely presuming you can find one that's isn't fogged or damaged.

The ZM 35 C is another frugal but stellar Monochrom match.

• Like 1

Whichever you pick should be reflective of your intended uses.  The 50/2 APO is very sharp edge-to-edge and has alot of DOF even at F2; I think it's a very good landscape lens.  For portraits I prefer the 50 Lux ASPH because I think its bokeh is better at F1.4-2.8.  I simply prefer the 50 Lux ASPH's draw (over the 50 APO).  I like the idea of a 50 Noc ASPH "just because", but I seldom used it because it its size / weight.  Plus nailing focus with the Noc isn't so easy.  With the M-246's ISO performance, the 50 APO is sufficient for just about anything I can throw at it.  I sold the 50 Lux ASPH to fund 50 APO.  I will right that wrong later this year :)  

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A 50 APO pretty much lives on my 246 now and I've been wondering whether I should part with my 50 Lux ASPH.  I've been pleased with how the APO draws compared to the Lux and find I don't really miss the shallower DOF of the latter, which surprises me.  Performance aside, I also very much appreciate the weight savings over my chrome Lux.

Edited by pharyngula