M10: sell or keep the M246

thomi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M10 is not a MM but has a very good sensor. Should I sell the M246 and use the M10 for monochrome too?

I tested the two bodies with the same APO Summicron 50.

ISO 25k

F4

Shutter speed calculated for the M10: 1/350

Shutter speed calculated for the M246: 1/750 (because there is no Bayer Filter)

I could use half the ISO with the M246 to get the same shutter speed as with the M10.

Check the comparison: left picture M10 converted in Lightroom to monochrome; right picture M246

My Conclusion

The M10 is outstanding. Much better than the M240 at high ISO.

The M246 remains the reference for monochrome.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by thomi
  • Like 2

I'm at the exact same decision point. I have my 246 for sale as I'm looking to simplify. I'm not a pixel peeper but at 25k the 246 does look better but I would never shoot that high an iso.  I would think that much lower iso's would be hard to tell?  I have my 246 packaged up or I'd compare.

• Like 1

M10

M246

Edited by thomi

The M246 is much better. It is not about the noise. It is the amazing amount of detail that is still retained in the M246 pictures even at very high iso.

Amount of detail is only important for NASA or NSA....  if you make art, its irrelevant

• Like 2

Having recently purchased the M10 and being a M246 owner I have contemplated simplifying things .

Being a subscriber to Reidreviews gave me a good insight into this question.

Reidreviews.com has an excellent in depth comparison worth a read on this 

The article is entitled.

"B&W Studio tests Leica M10, M240, M246"

I concluded that the M246 was still the most capable made for B&W photography  but the M10 is closer but not quite there.

Edited by rfunnell
  • Like 3

Having recently purchased the M10 and being a M246 owner I have contemplated simplifying things .

Being a subscriber to Reidreviews gave me a good insight into this question.

Reidreviews.com has an excellent in depth comparison worth a read on this 

The article is entitled.

"B&W Studio tests Leica M10, M240, M246"

I concluded that the M246 was still the most capable made for B&W photography  but the M10 is closer but not quite there.

That's it.

Surely this is going to be a discussion which will continue ad infinitum.

At some point the M10 Monochrom will be released, then the M11 which will produce the debate as to whether the M10M is better than the M11. Then the M11 Monochrom will be released, followed by the M12…

You get the picture.

Maybe it's simply time to concentrate on getting the pictures.

• Like 5

Surely this is going to be a discussion which will continue ad infinitum.

At some point the M10 Monochrom will be released, then the M11 which will produce the debate as to whether the M10M is better than the M11. Then the M11 Monochrom will be released, followed by the M12…

You get the picture.

Maybe it's simply time to concentrate on getting the pictures.

I totally agree. This discussion does not mean any thing about the quality of pictures. Most famous pictures were made with old lenses and low performance film. Here I just want to discuss technical progress that will continue. It's a boys discussion. But also fun. As log as I do not stop going out with my M2, MM, M10 etc. searching for the perfect light, good composition etc.

I use the video function a lot on my m246 as I love doing b&w films and the camera produces superb footage. However, the video yes/ no topic has been done to death in another thread. I reckon I will skip the M10 as I have a two year old MP 240 and wait for M11. But the M 246 will stay with me for a long time and could be a future classic.

I use the video function a lot on my m246 as I love doing b&w films and the camera produces superb footage. However, the video yes/ no topic has been done to death in another thread. I reckon I will skip the M10 as I have a two year old MP 240 and wait for M11. But the M 246 will stay with me for a long time and could be a future classic.

Good reasoning. What you are waiting for will probably be called an MP 440 and not an M11. But I'm curious anyway how they're gonna manage the nomenclatura

• Like 1