Best 35mm Summicron version for still life

colin_d

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Question for those Leicaphile experts, on Leica Wiki it says the f2.8 35mm screw mount lens focuses to . 7m yet the one I recently bought has .65m on the barrel. Not that it matters too much but I'm curious, is there a reason for the discrepancy.

Must be a screw mount version with goggles i suspect (SIMOO - 11006-P). I have no experience with this lens though, mine is an M version.

Mmmm it wasn't advertised with goggles so I'd be unhappy if it is a goggle version when it turns up. Wiki seems to indicate there was a f2.8 screw version without goggles, the only doubt is the .65m focus distance.

Mmmm it wasn't advertised with goggles so I'd be unhappy if it is a goggle version when it turns up. Wiki seems to indicate there was a f2.8 screw version without goggles, the only doubt is the .65m focus distance.

Yes but non goggled versions have never had that 0.65m distance if i'm not wrong. It could well be that someone has surgically removed the goggles of your lens which was quite common in that era. In such a case, you'd better make sure the focusing mechanism has been adjusted accordingly. Not a big deal, suffice it to check out that your lens brings up 35mm frame lines and focuses accurately. Now i have no experience with LTM Summarons at all. I would ask your question on the Collectors forum if i were you.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/forum/35-leica-collectors-historica/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Zeiss Biogon 35/2 does 0.7m, f/22 .

As an aside because the Biogon was mentioned. In my experience  medium and large format Biogons  perform best at wide apertures, wide open or one stop down, and still perform well until diffraction occurs at the same small apertures  where other lenses fail.

FWIW, when aerial survey lenses are tested for certification they are done at the widest (largest physical) aperture and Biogons excel.

If someone can convince me the same is not true for FF 35mm, I would appreciate it.

The Biogon 35/2.8 is no slouch at f/22 either.

After doing quite a bit more searching a number of reviews online stated that the Zeiss Biogon had minimal barrel distortion, was exceptionally sharp and was a modern design lens. This influenced my final decision to go for a f2 35mm Biogon. It's characteristics will suit my purpose particularly my indoor work.

I've owned and used many Leica lenses and loved them which was why I initially lent towards a Summicron or Summaron. But while I went through the process of returning the Summaron to the seller it gave me time to research across the net comparisons of the 35mm Lecias v Zeiss. Each has their unique image characteristics, Leica more the traditional beautiful look (this excludes the Aspherical versions which has a more modern look but way too expensive for me), Zeiss a modern crisp, snappy look with less distortion. And of course there is the issue of price. I have to pick the lens up tomorrow from the post office. With the ME lens selection, do I select the 35mm Summicron as the best choice?

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the thinking process. I've still have the 50mm Summitar as a companion to the 35mm Biogon.

Colin D

Edited by colin_d

Hello Everybody,

The screw mount versions which were originally sold for screw mount cameras came with a focusing mount which indicated focus from Infinity to 1 Meter.

It was the screw mount lenses adapted to function as bayonet mount lenses that indicated focus from Infinity to 0.65 or 0.7 Meters. Depending on variety.

When screw mount lenses were adapted so that they could be used on bayonet mount cameras: They were reconfigured internally & were given focusing mounts which would indicate focus from Infinity to 0.65 or 0.7 Meters.

Best Regards,

Michael