Which backpack for the SL?

MRJohn

I use Peak everyday backpack 20L, it fits my SL, 24-90, 3 M lenses a Q, lots of accessories and charger plus an ipad and MBP 13", I didnt recommend bring an ipad with MBP though, its cramped with loaded gears above.

I don't have 90-280 but it should fit, if not buy the 30L. I've been through lots and lots of bags, this one closest to my expectation.

• Like 1

I've got the Lowepro Whistler which I used on a recent ski trip. I carried the SL plus 24-90 and 90-28 on a couple of days but it was heavy. With one lens it was fine. It's fairly big and a bit awkward to manoeuvre on small chair lifts. It kept the snow out and the camera and lenses safe despite a couple of falls. There's plenty of space for accessories too. I recommend it.

I am a huge fan of  ThinktankPhoto and MindShiftGear - they are sister companies, with a slightly different focus.

Think tank make overbuilt bags and rollers that will survive years of professional use/abuse

From their range i would look at the Trifecta, Shapeshifter or Streetwalker 

Mind shift makes lightweight outdoor bags, with the same build quality and attention to detail.

I would pick the Firstlight or Backlight bags for an SL kit.

the trail16L ultralight is perfect for an M or SL and a few M lenses, a light jacket, water and snacks for a day out.

• Like 2

Main issue with most backpacks is that they are too deep for M lenses, which rattle around.

I keep my M lenses in little microfibre bags (actually Oakley bags for their glasses)

but the Trail 16L is designed for mirrorless, so its space is much smaller than bags designed for huge pro SLR bodies

• Like 1

Main issue with most backpacks is that they are too deep for M lenses, which rattle around.

The only time I use a backpack for an M system is when I have the M system in a small shoulder bag and throw the whole thing into a backpack to get through an airport, train, or bus station. :)

Backpacks are most useful to carry large, bulky, heavy gear when a roller case is awkward or a shoulder bag is too heavy. I don't own one at present because I haven't needed one for a while. The SL with both zooms and my Super-Elmar-R 15 mm would be a perfect candidate for a backpack for a long field walk, however, due to its size and weight.

The biggest beef with backpacks is that they're awkward to get equipment in and out of since you basically have to take them off and put them back on every time you want to get inside. Something like the Trifecta is nice because your buddy can get to a specific piece of equipment for you without having to unzip the whole bag each time.

• Like 1

I saw this in the shop and thought, "If I ever want a backpack for the SL, that's the one."

Think Tank Photo Trifecta 10 DSLR Backpack

Thanks, this looks great! The only downside I see is that if you start with the 90-280 attached, that is fine. But if you have two other lenses and you switch and continue with a smaller lens, then there might be no place to put the 90-280. If there was an empty middle compartment that would be fantastic. So with the current setup one could use for sure 1 extra lens in the main compartment, a second would need to go to the top (space permitting).

Think Tank Street Walker Pro. Camera, both lenses, accessories - perfect fit and ergonomic. Comfortable.

Have you used it in rain or snow, without cover?

How does it fit with waist belt removed?

Also curious if the shoulder harness stows away.

Thanks for feedback.

Jeff