Sensor Gel Stick to Clean T Sensor?

ehecatl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi!

So I've recently acquired a used Leica T and I've discovered that the sensor might need cleaning. I am currently living in Turkey, and I didn't bring my rocket blower with me. However, I do have a Sensor Gel Stick —the blue one— with me. I've read that the orange one should be used with the newer Leicas. I've used the blue one with my M9 with great results. 

I've done a search through the forums on cleaning the T sensor, and I found a thread on the M240 forums on using either the blue or orange gel stick on that sensor. 

Has anyone used a blue gel stick to clean their T sensor? And yes, I know I should have brought my blower with me, so that's not an option at the moment. But I suppose if the blue gel stick will not work with my T, then I guess I should start looking for a camera shop in Ankara.

Thanks,

Santiago

Followup:

Well, I decided to take the plunge. Trying to be as careful as possible, I "walked" the sensor gel stick across the sensor, and then took a test shot. From what I can see, it sort of worked. I didn't ruin the sensor, but the dust that's on it might necessitate a wet clean. I think I'm going to hold off on that until I return to New Mexico over the summer. For now, I'm going to work around the spots in Lightroom.

S

Followup:

Well, I decided to take the plunge. Trying to be as careful as possible, I "walked" the sensor gel stick across the sensor, and then took a test shot. From what I can see, it sort of worked. I didn't ruin the sensor, but the dust that's on it might necessitate a wet clean. I think I'm going to hold off on that until I return to New Mexico over the summer. For now, I'm going to work around the spots in Lightroom.

S

Nip in to an optician's practice and buy either Zeiss Wipes if they have them (alcohol soaked 'napkins') - they fold to just the right size or a microfibre lens cloth. Both cost very little and gently used will cause no damage.

Best of luck

• Like 2

I dread having to clean my sensor with anything harsher than my 'Rocket Blower'.  I Change lenses quite often, but usually try to do it fast, camera pointing down, and blow the sensor and lens  just before mounting.  I also try to take a blank sky photo on a bi-weekly basis to make sure there are no dust particles on the sensor.  Often, they can be blown off before they have time to actually stick to the sensor. 

So far so good, about a year with this kit approx. 12,000 shots.  No major cleaning necessary no obvious spots.

Sample test shot to check for sensor dust. - different f stops are used to see what shows up.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I dread having to clean my sensor with anything harsher than my 'Rocket Blower'.  I Change lenses quite often, but usually try to do it fast, camera pointing down, and blow the sensor and lens  just before mounting.  I also try to take a blank sky photo on a bi-weekly basis to make sure there are no dust particles on the sensor.  Often, they can be blown off before they have time to actually stick to the sensor. 

So far so good, about a year with this kit approx. 12,000 shots.  No major cleaning necessary no obvious spots.

Sample test shot to check for sensor dust. - different f stops are used to see what shows up.

Strange dust spot - it looks like a gull....:lol:

• Like 1