Why Real leather?

vladik

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over the time I’ve purchased number of new Leica M lenses. Great lenses nicely presented including ‘Real leather’ cases. Leather being organic material is likely to harbour and attract all sorts of bugs and fungus. I do keep my lenses in laboratory grade plastic containers with small bag of moisture absorbing material. Original Leica packaging gets stored away for possible future sale. Lenses that I do not use very often I expose to strong sunlight from time to time. I just wander why Leica is using real leather?

I tried Naugahyde but then saw a Nauga and could only understand the animal as horribly exploited only for its hide. Really, ever seen a Nauga steak for sale anywhere?

Edited by pico
  • Like 4

Because leather is nice to the touch, is durable, and if properly treated and kept clean, lasts nearly forever just like the lenses. 

That said, I don't keep my lenses hidden away in perfect containers and take them out once in a while to expose them to UV light. I keep them in my bag, usually with a lens hood screwed in and no cap, ready to be used. I don't have so many that they don't all get regular use... :D

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

None of my Leitz & Leica leather pouches has ever got the least bug or fungus issue since the eighties or seventies. I don't live in a hot country though. BTW my late Summarit 90/2.4 has the same leather pouch as regular Leica lenses instead of the fabric pouches of my 35/2.5, 50/2.5 & 72/2.5. FWIW.

Anybody know of alternatives to the Leica cases for lens not so endowned (Zeiss / CV)

There are vendors in China who offer leather pouches for every conceivable lens, it seems. Also, my wife tailored for me some quite nice cloth pouches in different sizes.

• Like 1

Leather is a killer.  Worse is the foam inside.   Save for resale.

If you must use plastic, be aware some plastics outgass and all that can go inside the lens fogging it up.  Do not know about pro plastic.   Fastidious Japanese store in glass cases humidity controlled as was reported in Leica Photography decades ago.

Anybody know of alternatives to the Leica cases for lens not so endowned (Zeiss / CV)

I have one of these for my Noctilux:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752411-REG/Lowepro_LP36302_0AM_Lens_Case_9_x.html

The neoprene pouches made by Zing are excellent for M size lenses; I have used them for years:  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75799-REG/Zing_Designs_560_101_SPBK1_Small_Drawstring_Pouch.html

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 1

I try to lead a cruelty free life style and do not consume or use any animal products or products tested on animals. Leather is not a by product, it is part of the mindlessly cruel way of life that most people just go along with. And by the way, most soft leather purses and belts are made from the skin from dogs skinned alive in chinese and Korean dog meat leather farms.,and there is all the fur trim! The animals..Foxes, dogs and Racoons mostly live lives in terror and die in terror

Edited by shootinglulu
  • Like 1