The versatility of the Noctilux 0.95 on the SL [image thread]

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Below are a few shots taken with the Noctilux 0.95. When I first bought this lens about 3 years ago, I really bought it for its fun use shooting in bars and getting all these squiggly circles and such. I was shooting it on a M240 at that time and at 0.95 struggled most of the time to nail focus. I traded it in with all the rest of my M gear for the S006.

I then bought an SL about 2 months ago and bought it prima marly to use with a new Noctilux 0.95, still trying to get all the squiggly bits (I like squiggly bits) but I then realised that this lens can also be used as a everyday lens on the SL due to the ease of focusing............ Below are some examples.

Maybe some of you other guys that also use the Noctilux on an SL can add some more pictures here showing off the versatility of this combination.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Neil D
  • Like 10

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

A few more with and without the squiggly bits

Edited by Neil D
  • Like 14

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Very nice Neil. The Noctilux probably balances very nicely on the SL, but I think photos from a 50 Summilux ASPH would look much the same.

maybe so but I don't have a sumerlux. Yes the balance is very nice
  • Like 2

Hi Neil....I think the mods want these here - 50f/1 (v4), mix of digital and film.  

Here are a few;  mix of digital and film...pretty versatile in my view

31045491453_f17ba727ed_c.jpg

2016-12-24_005-099 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

31259931550_bc1f09218b_c.jpg  

Fairmont Royal York, Toronto (Front Street) - 2016-12-07_019-067T by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

31239735632_dbb6455df6_c.jpg

2016-12-02_001-019 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

31032740421_d106742f43_c.jpg

Grounds For Sculpture: Hamilton, NJ - 2016-11-06-0033 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

30962288435_eb56e70d70_c.jpg

"Employee Shower" by Carole Feuerman - 2016-11-06-0009 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

29198656310_49d865530b_c.jpg

Bethany Beach, DE - 2016-09-02_076-149-2 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

31395194862_9011e8c669_c.jpg

"Searchlight, Starlight, Spotlight" by John McEwen - 2016-12-07_053-067 by Marc Tauber, on Flickr

28175604244_ce81e97f39_c.jpg

&qu

Edited by MT0227
  • Like 7

The creative opportunities the 0.95 provides (below 1.4) is where the magic lies and what makes it such a versatile piece of glass.  If this is not your thing than the 50lux may fit the bill better.  Granted, the throw may be longer and the weight heavier, but you do get something for these minor issues.  The Nocti also balances much better on the SL compared to the 50lux.

Very nice Neil.  The Noctilux probably balances very nicely on the SL, but I think photos from a 50 Summilux ASPH would look much the same.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Heres one from Scotland with a 6 second exposure

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Another here in B&W

• Like 2

You have some very nice shots, for sure :)

The .95 is hardly in the league of the smaller modern M 50s for landscape, though it does a better job there than they do at F/.95 ;)

The question for me would be: how am I going to lug that mass around all day? It would be alot of fun in a set piece shoot. Not so much as a daily driver, where a nice M body and small light prime is so powerful and so light.

I ski with mine often:

33353313665_cf82f575f4_b.jpg

L1057743 by Charlie Webster, on Flickr

The also garganutan 75 Lux, at least, utterly smokes from F/2 down.

The .95......not so much:

f22.jpg

In fact the smaller and lighter CV 50/1.1 whups it handily at F/2, at least in terms of sharpness, let alone the small 50s. 

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7/

Logically the .95 is the most specialized lens M lens you can buy. But I'm a big fan of it's distinctive look WO, where there is simply nothing like it. 

But logic is immaterial to inspiration, which obviously the SL and .95 give you, and it's wonderful to see the lens used in so many ways.  :)

Edited by uhoh7

You have some very nice shots, for sure :)

The .95 is hardly in the league of the smaller modern M 50s for landscape, though it does a better job there than they do at F/.95 ;)

The question for me would be: how am I going to lug that mass around all day? It would be alot of fun in a set piece shoot. Not so much as a daily driver, where a nice M body and small light prime is so powerful and so light.

I ski with mine often:

33353313665_cf82f575f4_b.jpg

L1057743 by Charlie Webster, on Flickr

The also garganutan 75 Lux, at least, utterly smokes from F/2 down.

The .95......not so much:

f22.jpg

In fact the smaller and lighter CV 50/1.1 whups it handily at F/2, at least in terms of sharpness, let alone the small 50s. 

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7/

Logically the .95 is the most specialized lens M lens you can buy. But I'm a big fan of it's distinctive look WO, where there is simply nothing like it. 

But logic is immaterial to inspiration, which obviously the SL and .95 give you, and it's wonderful to see the lens used in so many ways.  :)

You don't buy a Noctilux to compare it with charts of high res lenses. Stopped down it's a monster - I own it and the 75mm Summliux and would say it is not far off. It leaves nothing to be desired. On the contrary it gives much more.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

You don't buy a Noctilux to compare it with charts of high res lenses. Stopped down it's a monster - I own it and the 75mm Summliux and would say it is not far off. It leaves nothing to be desired. On the contrary it gives much more.

The Noctilux on the SL sits perfectly. If weight is an issue for some of our friends then an iPhone for a all day shoot would probably be the better choice, and when they are feeling strong upgrade to the iPhone 7 plus :) :) :)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Do you guys use the enlarge image button to focus or just focus without 'enlarging'?

I always zoom in then take the picture. If I have enough time, I will first move the focus point then focus then shoot

• Like 1

I always zoom in then take the picture. If I have enough time, I will first move the focus point then focus then shoot

Thanks Neil, I wondered whether the focus peaking was good enough to enable focusing without zooming in? or are you zooming in to see the actual image and not relying on the focus peaking?