Just bought my first Leica - What are your best tips?

Beena22

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So I spoke to Red Dot and they negotiated a £200 discount with the person they were selling it for. I'm very happy with that. Great service from them.

Finally got to take it out in the light today during my lunch break. Loving how it handles and the Nokton is proving to be a winner. Here's a couple of snaps I took

Great! Seems the rangefinder is ok!

• Like 1

hi beena22, great buy!

i own a m9 and i am very happy with it.

now you have a leica rf so why not consider just one leica m lens? start with a summicron 50, older versions are just as good as the newer versions. shooting a summicron will give you the look en feel of what leica glass is capable of. i own a summicron m 50 f2 (latest version), an elmarit m asph 28 f2,8, a Zeiss tele-tessar 85 f4 and a c biogon 35 f2,8.

i dont need more lenses. i hardly use the 35 and 85. i am also a 50mm guy. the best lens for general use and the 28mm for perspective shots and landscape.

the more lenses you have the more difficult it is to decide what lens to shoot with. consider shooting a week with one lens and see what jour pics look like.

bye.

Edited by sjariev
  • Like 1

hi beena22, great buy!

i own a m9 and i am very happy with it.

now you have a leica rf so why not consider just one leica m lens? start with a summicron 50, older versions are just as good as the newer versions. shooting a summicron will give you the look en feel of what leica glass is capable of. i own a summicron m 50 f2 (latest version), an elmarit m asph 28 f2,8, a Zeiss tele-tessar 85 f4 and a c biogon 35 f2,8.

i dont need more lenses. i hardly use the 35 and 85. i am also a 50mm guy. the best lens for general use and the 28mm for perspective shots and landscape.

the more lenses you have the more difficult it is to decide what lens to shoot with. consider shooting a week with one lens and see what jour pics look like.

bye.

I'll see what's available when I have saved enough money up to buy one. It's going to be a good few months until that point so a bargain may come along.

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings from Malaysia!

I've just recently bought a used Leica M9 after selling my Fujifilm X-T2 with its 56mm & 18-135mm lenses. Been wanting a Leica since I saw it in the movie Euro Trip years ago.

Anyways, I have few newbie questions too (I hope Beena22 wouldn't mind).

1. I'm using my M9 with the CV Nokton 50mm f1.1 and saw really obvious vignetting wide open. Any tips to reduce this? Like what's the lens selection should I set in the menu that can help to fix this? I set it to 50mm f1 but doesn't reduce the vignetting at all.

2. The sharpest recommended aperture stop for the CV Nokton 50mm f1.1?

3. I just ordered the B+W 58mm Digital MRC F-Pro UV filter, would it screw with no issue on the the CV Nokton 50mm f1.1 thread? Because I've read some saying their filter won't screw properly directly on the lens but no issue on the lens hood's thread.

4. Just ordered a lens tab from https://www.lenstab.com/product/taab-standard/ for my CV Nokton 50mm f1.1 lens and a hotshoe thumb rest. Any other recommended useful accessories for the M9? Beautification accessories also can be considered. (FYI I bought this with a spare battery from the previous owner so I got that covered)

5. I'm using wireless SD, the Toshiba Flash Air 32gb W-03 with the M9. So far for 4 days it seems normal and OK. Has anyone run into any issue with this card?

6. What's the best setting for sharpening, color saturation, contrast, etc for great SOOC JPEGs? (I'm shooting DNG+JPEG, but sometimes I want to share with other people on the spot)

7. What/which kind of service should I get for my used Leica from the Leica store since this is a used body? (previous owner said he sent the M9 to swap for the new sensor already, so that's covered too)

8. Will Leica charge me if I want to send in my M9 for services? If yes, do you know how much it costs roughly? (I'll convert to my currency to guesstimate the price here in Malaysia)

9. What's the closest minumum focus distance for M-mount lens available out there? So far I see the closest is 50cm. Planning to get a 35mm lens next and really want a closer minimum focus distance because my CV Nokton 50mm f1.1 is at 100cm

Edited by barteria