I just bought an Olympus XA for the hell of it....

A miller

...and a Squaretrade warranty for when it brakes...all for a little over $200...

http://www.diaxa.com/xa.htm

Anyone have one?

Anyone jealous? :)

Hmm. Last one of those I had broke 22 years ago; I had three, all three broke unrepairably. I think I paid $80 for the third one. 

When working, it's a decent little camera. The lens is prone to flare a lot, however. Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

I had an XA2 until a year ago. I was gifted it in the RFF annual x-mas giveaway and passed it on after I'd tried it out. I realised I'd really want the XA for more control. It's a great concept, I think, so tiny.

Nowadays my go-to "tiny" camera is a Minox 35GT which I got for a song. Also a simple meter, shutter speed priority and a great lens. Hyperfocal all the way. And it's really very sturdy too. Just in case you're looking for yet another cult :)

Looking forward to the photos.

br

Philip

...and a Squaretrade warranty for when it brakes...all for a little over $200...

http://www.diaxa.com/xa.htm

Anyone have one?

Anyone jealous? :)

• Like 1

I had an XA2 until a year ago. I was gifted it in the RFF annual x-mas giveaway and passed it on after I'd tried it out. I realised I'd really want the XA for more control. It's a great concept, I think, so tiny.

Nowadays my go-to "tiny" camera is a Minox 35GT which I got for a song. Also a simple meter, shutter speed priority and a great lens. Hyperfocal all the way. And it's really very sturdy too. Just in case you're looking for yet another cult :)

Looking forward to the photos.

br

Philip

Thanks, Philip.  It arrived today and so far I am  not sure about the focus patch.  I'll take it with me tomorrow morning for my challah run and see how it works.  Will report back.

• Like 1

Betting how many days it takes you to start looking for the 28mm version (XA-4), remembering your great shots with that focal length.

The XA-4 pairs nicely with the Contax T with its 38 mm lens. (It was't called the T1, just as Nikon F not F1). But you're leaving the Leica big-buck-gear-talk zone - ACTION becoming the key word.

Betting how many days it takes you to start looking for the 28mm version (XA-4), remembering your great shots with that focal length.

The XA-4 pairs nicely with the Contax T with its 38 mm lens. (It was't called the T1, just as Nikon F not F1). But you're leaving the Leica big-buck-gear-talk zone - ACTION becoming the key word.

Thanks, Tri.

WEEELLLL, I got it and played with it and quickly realized that I am simply late to the party.  The focus patch is horrible most probably due to age (and probably not much one can do about this and is probably pervasive in most models).  And then there are my fat fingers.  Life will pass me by as my fingers figure out the focusing.

Will be returning it...

Next will be the Minolta TC-1....

With the XA-4 28mm version you can go hyperfocal. In those days spies all over the world had these particular ones because of the outstanding lens and the macro function. "My name is Adam. Adam Miller!"

The TC-1 is more than clock-work, it's a jewel. As long as it works

Edited by tri

With the XA-4 28mm version you can go hyperfocal. In those days spies all over the world had these particular ones because of the outstanding lens and the macro function. "My name is Adam. Adam Miller!"

The TC-1 is more than clock-work, it's a jewel. As long as it works

Thanks a lot, Tri.  Evil you are, and I am just lucky that we are dealing with toys valued at a few hundred bucks :)

You can easily use the XA with zone focus for street, f8, about 10 feet, good to go.

Exactly right, it is just that Tri was pointing out the 12" vs 32" minimum focus distance.  Also the 35mm FL is a bit more tricky to zone focus at closer distances (say 1-2 meters) at least at f8 and f5.6.

The one thing with the XA-4, for me anyway, is that it is a bit of a 2 trick pony - good for the close distances and then infinity, but will be hit or miss for those intermediate distance scenes.

I am going to go ahead and take the XA with me tonight to Hong Kong and play around with it for a few days.  It is very cute.

I will say that in the end it is me who is the jealous one after missing out on this great camera early on when the focus patch was in full force... :(

• Like 1

You are so right about the focus patch.  Even when I had mine (new) it faded over the years.

And the tiny focus lever is a bit of a stretch.

Good images, and great to slip in your pocket...not the easiest to use, always...and that's about it.

cheers...

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

I bought the cheaper version with the three focusing zones (petrol pumps being one, IIRC) when I was a student and I was given one of the proper rangefinder versions by a pal a couple of years ago.

I used to carry the former with me everywhere - the design was a work of genius and the quality of the lens was outstanding given the cost. Perhaps I will load it with some film and take it with me on a short break that we have planned.

The electronic shutter release button used to be a bit hit and miss, though.

The genius was Yoshihisa Maitani. He also designed (or was head of the team designing) the OM-series, and the Pen. I still have an XA and an OM4, I carried the XA everywhere as well. It was also a highly competent back-up, in case the main camera failed.

Stefan

Very interesting story about the design of the camera. The designer cut out a block of wood and tried different shapes. Kept modifying the shape until it just felt good. Then he experimented with the finish of the camera. Note that it is not a flat black of a shinny black. He had always admired the texture of fresh volcanic rocks. Not too dull and not too shiny. Started experimenting with finishes to copy that texture. Took a long time to find one that felt and looked like the volcanic rocks. The one he liked was a basalt.

Kept trying to duplicate the finish. Finally was about to give up when he mixed up to blacks with something different (and kept secret) and behold that was it. Look carefully at your XA. Look at the finish. Then close your eyes and feel the texture and shape of the body. I sometimes take mine and just feel it and think of the time it took to come up with the combination of feel and shape. When I do this it relaxes me.

Makes me appreciate that someone would take so many years to come up with such a fine camera. It is a classic camera and not only feels right but has a lens that is excellent and really small. Enjoy your camera, as a design professor, I used it as an example of an object designed by an inspired designer who would not give up until it was as perfect as possible.

• Like 3

Very interesting story about the design of the camera. The designer cut out a block of wood and tried different shapes. Kept modifying the shape until it just felt good. Then he experimented with the finish of the camera. Note that it is not a flat black of a shinny black. He had always admired the texture of fresh volcanic rocks. Not too dull and not too shiny. Started experimenting with finishes to copy that texture. Took a long time to find one that felt and looked like the volcanic rocks. The one he liked was a basalt.

Kept trying to duplicate the finish. Finally was about to give up when he mixed up to blacks with something different (and kept secret) and behold that was it. Look carefully at your XA. Look at the finish. Then close your eyes and feel the texture and shape of the body. I sometimes take mine and just feel it and think of the time it took to come up with the combination of feel and shape. When I do this it relaxes me.

Makes me appreciate that someone would take so many years to come up with such a fine camera. It is a classic camera and not only feels right but has a lens that is excellent and really small. Enjoy your camera, as a design professor, I used it as an example of an object designed by an inspired designer who would not give up until it was as perfect as possible.

ok, so the camera is growing on me.  I am starting to get the hang of using the faint focus patch.  The ergonomics are completely and utterly sublime.  For my purposes, if the lens was a 28mm and the focus patch was a little more contrasty, it could become one of my most used cameras.

George - Thanks for the info.  Out of respect for you and the time it took to write your comment, I went into my coat pocket, picked up the camera, closed my eyes, and fondled it, imagining an ancient Japanese lava rock.  Please don't tell anyone I did this...

Seriously, I have some tests shots from my recent business trip to Hong Kong that I will share soon...

• Like 1

Here are a few throw away samples (testing focus, exposure, how the lens rendered tones, etc) from my recent business trip to Hong Kong two weeks ago...

These are with Tri-X, which I rated at 800 and developed at 1250 (which produced nice popping contrast at the expense of some sharpness on the computer screen (but not on test prints I had made)...

The first three were shot wide open (f2.8)...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by A miller
  • Like 10