How likely is a "bad copy" of 50 Lux? Thinking of ordering from EU site but concerned.

eyeheartny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's known as a lens that has fine tolerances. You have a few options;

1) buy the lens and body from the same place and ask them to check them together.

2) but from somewhere with a good return policy; 25% on a 50 lux is a lot of shipping!

3) buy a used lens that's known to be good.

All options have positives and negatives... and none are a sure bet. I'd go with #2 from a reputable seller.

My final keeper 50 came from the Miami Leica Store. They had two used copies. They were willing to shoot the lenses wide open at minimum focus distance and send me the files. One lens was better than the other. I can nail focus on this lens wide open on my M262. I did eventually send it to DAG to have him relube the lens with the good, old grease he has on hand. 

If I wasn't clear I apologize--I'm looking at new items but sold through European dealers to take advantage of the VAT discount plus the lower pricing.

The purchase is subject to US customs duty and some of savings will be offset by this amount.

Edited by james.liam

A bad sample of a lens can not be made better.  Lens Rentals addressed this in their blog, a bad sample can be made adequate (by them) but it will never be a good sample.  I've purchased a few bad samples, Leica does not improve them, nor does DAG.  These comments are not specific to 50mm.   Buy with the option to return the lens or exchange it for another.   

• Like 1

I am on the other side of the Pacific Ocean from you (about as far away from Wetzlar as it is possible to get).

I've bought from a few European vendors and from the US without any issue whatsoever.  Delivery, service, warranty - no problem. What I do tend to do is send items back to Wetzlar myself - provided Wetzlar knows it's coming, and what the issue is, I don't find them too bad at all.  My only issue is that it seems to take a disproportionate length of time for the items to get from Leica, through German customs and onto shipping back to me.  Conversely, there is considerable peace of mind in having the mothership do the work.

As long as the product is made by Leica, the factory will honour the guaranty worldwide, even if the local importer may not.

This is entirely right.  I don't know what the "grey" market in Leica products is - I expect it is an invention by an aggressive vendor.  I have bought Leica products new from the US, Asia, Europe and locally, and have never had a problem with Leica servicing it.  As Jaap says, if it's made by Leica, they'll fix it, and if it is less that 2 years (?), they'll do it under warranty.  I've had things fixed out of warranty by Leica for no charge.

As for the 50 Summilux, I have a silver chrome version I bought from Ken Hansen in NY in 2010.  It was a little stiff at the point in the focus thrown where the floating lens element is activated (at least, I assume that is what it was), but after some use it is now buttery smooth.

Great lens.  Never had a focusing issue with it.  Like Ian (Wattsy), if I was buying it now, I'd go for the rather beautiful black chrome version with the red lettering ...

Great lens.  Never had a focusing issue with it.  Like Ian (Wattsy), if I was buying it now, I'd go for the rather beautiful black chrome version with the red lettering ...

Is the lack of a focus tab a consideration? I also prefer the sleeker look of the built-in hood on the standard 50 Lux. It looks like if I assume import duties will be assessed at 3.7% for a new lens (anyone else know if LeicaShop orders get import duties assessed?), there's about a $500 all-in savings vs purchasing from a US-based retailer. Not earth-shattering but not nothing either. I had conflated the price of the black lens in the EU with the price of the silver lens in the US, so savings are less than the 25% I had previously thought. I may go with Adorama or another reputable retailer in the US and make sure they don't charge tax in CA. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Where are you in California?  I've only had pleasant dealings with the Leica Store in San Francisco.

The lack of a focus tab does make a difference - I now have only two tabbed lenses (the 28 & 50 Summilux) and all the rest are without tabs.  The tab is useful in knowing instinctively where the lens is focussed, but to be honest, I don't mis the tabs on my other lenses (75 Summilux, Noctilux, 21 Summilux) as they are larger lenses, and tend to have longer focus throws.

The black chrome version comes with a hood.  I'm not sure how effective the slide out hoods are - I use them more for protection.  The nicest hoods, I think, are the vented ones like the one supplied with the black chrome 50 Summilux.  Sadly, I have sold the lenses I had with those hoods (the "petal" hood for the 28 Summicron and the M60 35 Summilux).

Saving is a saving, I guess.  You might want to check to see who has what in stock.

One final thought, the black and silver chrome 50 Summiluxes are made from brass, and chromed over.  I really like this, but it makes the lenses heavier than the ordinary black version, which is anodised aluminium.

Good luck!  I think a black M10 with the black chrome 50 Summillux would be fantastic.  Add the 28 Summilux when you have the cash, and you're sorted!

Is the lack of a focus tab a consideration? I also prefer the sleeker look of the built-in hood on the standard 50 Lux. It looks like if I assume import duties will be assessed at 3.7% for a new lens (anyone else know if LeicaShop orders get import duties assessed?), there's about a $500 all-in savings vs purchasing from a US-based retailer. Not earth-shattering but not nothing either. I had conflated the price of the black lens in the EU with the price of the silver lens in the US, so savings are less than the 25% I had previously thought. I may go with Adorama or another reputable retailer in the US and make sure they don't charge tax in CA. 

Lenses are assessed at 2.3%, not 3.7%... again, the carrier may or may not collect the duty... 

My only problem was stiff focusing with this lens but it took Leica several months to fix it.

Leica NJ tried but couldn't fix sticky focus on my lens. So I sent it to DAG and he had it back to me in a week...working perfectly... by replacing grease with his supply of original Leitz stock grease, which Leica no longer uses. Sometimes newer isn't better.

Jeff

Lenses are assessed at 2.3%, not 3.7%... again, the carrier may or may not collect the duty...

Ah ok, thanks for the correction. So yeah, it's a healthy discount for ordering from the EU. Roughly $600. I'll probably take the chance and order one whenever my M10 is available. Combined with the discount on the body it's about a $1400 USD savings. Enough to find a secondhand copy of a second lens! ;)

I prefer maintaining good relations with a few US dealers. Because of that I'll be able to trade my M for an M10 without losing any money compared to an outright sale, and without the hassle, delay or any sales risk. Plus it helps keep those independents in business.

Jeff

I prefer maintaining good relations with a few US dealers. Because of that I'll be able to trade my M for an M10 without losing any money compared to an outright sale, and without the hassle, delay or any sales risk. Plus it helps keep those independents in business.

Jeff

Just tried to PM you about this and either your PMs are turned off or your mailbox is full! :)

A bad sample of a lens can not be made better

Of course it can.

There are all kinds of issues that can make a lens 'bad' and most of those issues can be corrected. In the event of a lens being beyond calibration or repair then in all likelihood it will be replaced. I had a 50mm Summicron that had repeated focus calibration issues, but the third time I put it in for repair I was given an apology and a replacement lens, despite it being outside of the warranty period.

It's entirely possible to receive a problematic new lens, but any issues shouldn't be too hard to rectify.