M-D users : has the vanity wear off ?

proenca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there,

While my M9 is in Solms replacing the sensor and other stuff, I've always lusted for the M-D.

So of course, now I'm thinking about one and already have one demo unit targeted : its the right price and its mint.

I've tried the M10 in Leica Store Porto and while its wonderfull and the improved VF is great ( I'm sure my 28mm lux would be a perfect companion ), it doesnt make my heart racing.

The M-D does. For a lot of reasons : challenging myself, returning to a M7-ish experience without the hassle of developing and handling film and I've tried the M-D in Leica Store as well. Its great the handling and the fact that the back is clear.

I'm, however, worried that is a novelty thing and after some time, it will wear off. 

Not buying the camera to impress anyone, just ticks all the right boxes - and then some. 

I imagine that M-D buyers must feel the same but then the novelty wears off ? It doesnt seem so, since there are slim to none M-D on the used market and its flooded with M240/M262 and even M9 to an extent.

Lets hear those M-D experiences :)

I don't have an MD  .... so consider my comment for what its worth

the idea of no LCD is neat so maybe as a second camera........but checking and adjusting gets you better photos  and less time in post.

For me the "novelty" will wear off

....I think novelty is exactly the correct word.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone that replied.

Also for Alex, I did not knew the other topic ;)

Anyhow, I found a chap who wants to sell his MD that was a demo unit. Less than a dozen actuations. For M240-ish prices (average than m240 used prices) so I guess I own a MD now, picking it tomorrow ;)

• Like 3

Thanks everyone that replied.

Also for Alex, I did not knew the other topic ;)

Anyhow, I found a chap who wants to sell his MD that was a demo unit. Less than a dozen actuations. For M240-ish prices (average than m240 used prices) so I guess I own a MD now, picking it tomorrow ;)

Enjoy... :-)

• Like 1

While I enjoyed my M9-P, the M-D brought me exactly the good feeling I had when working with my M6 and the MP. It is exactly the camera I wanted and needed. I never missed the rear display, since the pic is in my head and then on the storage card. If it does not come out as I imagined or hoped it would - bad luck. I do not depend on the pictures I take, it is a hobby. Hobby shall be fun, relaxing. Hearing the "click!" and imagining the pic will be a good one is part of that fun.

A clean and finger- and noseprint-less camera back is another part ...

Marcus

• Like 3

Get yourself a good deal on a used/demo M240 and spend the "saved" money on a new lens and a nice Luigi bag with door:

BlackGPSrearClw.jpg

I think you. have the wrong photo. The M 240 halfcase is more elegant than the M 240 with GPS grip. But, it 's not the same feeling like the M-D for shure.

Edited by Paulus

I can think of some practical advantages. Nicer to hold. No screen to break. Now the public is REALLY convinced it's a film camera. 

I can think of some disadvantages. Can't check calibration if you use lots of lenses. Can't check your frame if it matters. Can't show anybody a pic, even with M9 they like it. 

For me, it couldn't be my only M. But anybody who gets off on using one, more power to them. 

• Like 1

Still love mine, the fact that I do not have to scroll thru pages of menu possibilities is good for an old man like me.

It is exactly like I used to work in art school. Sure it is more work.

I do have an A7 for other purposes, but I never take it with me on photo trips.

Had a M8.2, then the ME and went through a whole lot of others for the past two years (Fuji XPro2, XT, Panasonic, Nikon Df etc.)... then sold the lot (except Fuji) and got the M-D with a 50 lux... mind you this was years after my last Leica M experience. Next day left for a trip to NYC and was surprised by how good most of the pictures looked, how well focused most of them were and most of all, how much fun it was to actually take a picture and MOVE ON... no checking the screen for focus / exposure, no sitting at a cafe going through the last pics... For me, it took me back to actually experiencing my surroundings more, looking for the next photo, not checking the one I just took...

And no, putting tape on or a case is very, very different than the M-D... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the M-D for about three months now and absolutely love it.  In fact, my M Monochrom (CCD) has been sitting at Leica NJ for most of those same three months (I'm getting REALLY impatient) having the RF calibrated and I've used nothing but the M-D.

I even use it with the Noctilux, wide-open, and while I do occasionally miss focus, most of the time its right on.  I can't imagine a more challenging combination to shoot with than M-D and Noctilux, but I am really enjoying it.