EVF-2 - Wide Angle compatibiites?

roverover

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious about the EVF-2, the Olympus specs do Not offer any help, i am wondering what the practical limitations of using Wide Angels lenses with the M240 and an EVF-2 are.

My Q: What is the Widest lens that will work in a usable way with the EVF-2, before having to purchase a dedicated Wide Angle VF if anyone has experience?

The EVF-2 (or, indeed, the V-F2) will work with every lens you can properly attach to your M. All it does is showing the image as received by the sensor. It will even work with a pinhole.

The only practical limitation I have yet encountered when using wide angle lenses is that my feet or even my belly tend to appear in the picture, and I can see those in the EVF when I bother to look.

The EVF-2 (or, indeed, the V-F2) will work with every lens you can properly attach to your M. All it does is showing the image as received by the sensor. It will even work with a pinhole.

The only practical limitation I have yet encountered when using wide angle lenses is that my feet or even my belly tend to appear in the picture, and I can see those in the EVF when I bother to look.

Thank You for the reply. I get it now, the EVF will display everything the Sensor sees TTL, i presume the only reason to have a dedicated Wide Angle VF then is to have frame lines if an EVF isn't on hand.

There are several reasons for people to prefer external optical viewfinders. They work in the dark, they show a bit more than what the sensor sees TTL, they do not suffer from blackouts and delays, they don't give off light, the colors are natural, they also work on film cameras, they look nice. The EVF has other advantages.

I have used the EVF-2 with an 8mm fish-eye, with 180º field of view, which is about as wide as you can get. It worked just fine, within its inherent limitations of low pixel count and slow refresh rate. After you have used the superb SL EVF, everything else seems primitive. 

Wilson

There are several reasons for people to prefer external optical viewfinders. They work in the dark, they show a bit more than what the sensor sees TTL, they do not suffer from blackouts and delays, they don't give off light, the colors are natural, they also work on film cameras, they look nice. The EVF has other advantages.

Thank you for the additional perspectives, they make sense, it is always good to have options.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have used the EVF-2 with an 8mm fish-eye, with 180º field of view, which is about as wide as you can get. It worked just fine, within its inherent limitations of low pixel count and slow refresh rate. After you have used the superb SL EVF, everything else seems primitive. 

Wilson

Thank You - this is good information and it is nice to know that the EVF can function all the way out to that wide of a FOV.

I used to have the external view finder for the WATE, but since the introduction of the M240 and EVF (I use the Olymus one) that's all I use for the 16-18-21. There is no comparison between the V-F2 and the SL but it does work okay.

Cheers, Tom