Film developing tank for 170mm diameter reel?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone suggest a film developing tank for a Hewes 170mm diameter stainless steel film reel? This is the only reel currently available for developing 70mm/50 exposure, 15 feet/4.6 metre length film from my Graflex Combat Graphic 70mm rangefinder camera. The Jobo and Paterson tanks appear to be considerably smaller diameter than this. A tank designed for 220 film would probably be what I need. I am quite happy to have a non-rotational tank that I can just roll backwards and forwards and looking at the reel, I don't think it would fit in a tank with a central core. I have sourced from Maco Direct, Rollei 400S 70mm film Panchromatic B&W in bulk 30.5 metre lengths and have six spare Linhof 70mm cassettes on the way to me to add to the 4 cassettes I already have. I have one cassette of unexposed very elderly but freezer kept 70mm Ektachrome 64 and I can get this processed by John Salim but he will only do E6 processing not black and white.

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

EDIT AGAIN!

I found a large stainless steel tank. Honeywell Nikor.

It has a deep, slip-on, non-vented lightproof top.

7" in diameter.

3 1/2" deep.

I have no idea what it is supposed to fit. I never used it.

I can make a shapshot of it.

Edited by pico

I was excited to see you have the same Graflex Combat 70 I had, and hastened to the storage area to see if I had forgotten to sell the tanks. Nope. All gone! Sorry, but still very cool to know someone who has the camera. FWIW, mine was complete in the Halliburton type aluminum case, #7.

Folks, if you are ever lucky enough to find a Graflex Combat 70 that works do not fire the shutter without film loaded! You will likely wreck the mechanism. Mine went for a premium because it was in fine shape.

Good for you, Wilson. There is a big aerial processing lab in Florida that processed 70mm B&W.

EDIT: The lab was here: http://www.aerialphotolab.com/

Sadly, they quit processing but on their page they promise to post their replacement.

Jack,

I also have the whole KS-6 kit with all three lenses, Halliburton case and flash. Only missing item is the filters. The seller gave the impression that the camera really was not working at all. However with a bit of cleaning and patience, loading some 70mm film, everything is now working, including the clockwork motor drive, albeit a bit reluctantly and sluggishly and the rangefinder. It is going off to Cameraworks-UK for a total CLA of both the body and lenses. I have been looking for one of these kits for around 10 years and am very excited to have one, apparently all in working order, just needing a TLC service. 

I was wondering if a square cut film tank would work but they are a pain to agitate, as you can't roll them backwards and forwards. 

Wilson

• Like 1

EDIT AGAIN!

Silly me! I found a large stainless steel tank. Honeywell Nikor.

It has a slide-on lightproof top.

Just shy of 7" in diameter.

3 1/2" deep.

That's too deep, and a little too wide. I have no idea what it is supposed to fit. I never used it.

I can make a shapshot of it.

That would be appreciated. Thanks Wilson

• 5 years later...

Hewes makes a 70mm Loader for their 70mm spiral. The 70mm spiral has a diameter just under 175mm, and fits the Nikor 90mm or 70mm film tank.  The Nikor tank requires a darkroom. JOBO made a reel and tank for 70mm, also needing a darkroom. The JOBO 10M loader was intended for 35mm, 60mm, and 70mm, if you can find the film guide. With the exception of the Hewes reel and loader, now available, this gear is rare and has been obsolete for decades. For those of you that can hand load a spiral, great. I don't care to try. In the event you can't find a tank, use a bucket. The other challenge is bulk loading. Find a Linhoff 70mm loader. Intended for Hasselblad (6x6).  When loading for RB67 (6x7), crank 60 turns plus 10 turns. The spools for Linhof (Hasselblad) and Kodak hold different lengths of film. Linhof spool has a slot and Kodak spool does not (uses a metal clip). 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Given my ever progressing arthritis and degenerative spinal scoliosis, the Combat Graphic is really too heavy for me to hold now, so it just sits on a display shelf as a curiosity. My weight limit now tops out at a Leica R9 with a power winder and the 21-35 Vario-Elmar-R. I run a test length of 70mm film through the Graflex every so often, to make sure that the expensively repaired clockwork motor drive, now with 3D printed titanium parts, keeps running freely (and also for amusement of its imitation of a Browning M2 0.5" machine gun). I will probably sell my spare 70mm Linhoff and Hasselblad 70mm cassettes, as they are a pain to load, using zinc oxide medical tape to retain the leader in the slot. I will still have 4 Kodak cassettes, which with the clips are easier.. 

Wilson