Returning to Leica, M10 or MP240 advice please

Eoin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Unfortunately there are no Leica stores here, the one and only Leica dealer is not showing any M10s in stock to make the comparison.

Interesting that you can't justify the upgrade at the moment.

My M240 still works wonderfully (touch wood)

The Voigtlander 35 Nokton i recently aquired has opened up "available dark" photography for me

For the past 8 years i worked as a photojournalist for a large daily paper, when i wasnt actively working, i would grab the M and go for a walk. I would also frequently use it when i needed a discreet quiet little camera, or when shooting bands.

My M240 and laptop went everywhere with me in a thinktank retro7 bag.

4 months ago i was made redundant, and i am now working in a camera store, my M typically sits at home in the bag, rather than going everywhere with me (i still take it when i am not at work)

As photography is now something i enjoy to relax, not something i do to earn a living, i dont require the latest and greatest, its a toy not a tool, but if i hadnt been made redundant, i would likely be trying to decide between the black and chrome....

Edited by Echo63
  • Like 1

I think that's the right decision too, Eoin. I think you'll be extremely pleased with the M10. 

The M10 firmware is still shaking out but you know they'll get it right very soon.

I wouldn't worry about 'long term serviceability' ... in realistic terms, none of my digital cameras but two have ever needed any service at all. My Olympus E-1 is now almost 14 years old and still going strong, still making beautiful photographs. Whether it dies and spends its declined years as a pretty shelf ornament or I sell it off to another enthusiast, it's certainly returned all the value it ever needed to, for me. The E-1 shows no sign of giving up yet; I expect the same with my M-D and SL somewhere in the next decade.  :D

Eoin:  "Already the M8's LCD is no longer available (manufacture period 2006-2009) 7-8 years later after the last unit rolled of the production floor."

Cameras (these days) like computers will not have a long life .........even Leica

Buy the one you want and live with your choice ......If your looking at Leica, money should not be a concern. In 3 years when the M11 comes out your M10 will be worth a lot less. With or without a warranty you are gambling that you wont get a lemon.......does it really matter? You really don't have any control over that either way. Except to choose a reputable dealer and a gently used camera.

We all like the M240 and we all like the M10

From all your posts I'll bet you get a new M10... enjoy you cant go wrong :)

Edited by ECohen

Voting for the M10. Held one recently and the slim design really was nice compared to the fat M240. Also put on the EVF and if needed that is a major improvement. The dial for selecting ISO I am not a fan of. Was stiff and I found selecting ISO on the 240 better. But overall, it's worth it for bringing back a thinner design.

If money is no object, and unless you really want/need video, it seems like the M10 would be the clear choice, being that it's the newest Leica offers.   If money is an object, and you either like video or aren't emotionally troubled by just disabling it, then the original M240 seems like the clear choice, being that it has the same sensor as all its derivatives but will cost the least.  

Thank you all for your advice.

I have placed a very small (refundable) deposit with the only Local/National dealer here in Ireland, for a Black M10.

Expected delivery is end of March/April to coincide with world wide release to smaller dealers. (so I'm told)

If I choose to find one elsewhere in the meantime, I will receive a refund.

I couldn't ask for fairer than that and think I'll just sit and wait my turn.

In the meantime I may find a nice 2nd hand version of the Apo-Summicron 75mm to complete my Leica Lens trinity.

Thanks again for everyones input, I am more comfortable taking this route.

E

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you all for your advice.

I have placed a very small (refundable) deposit with the only Local/National dealer here in Ireland, for a Black M10.

Expected delivery is end of March/April to coincide with world wide release to smaller dealers. (so I'm told)

If I choose to find one elsewhere in the meantime, I will receive a refund.

I couldn't ask for fairer than that and think I'll just sit and wait my turn.

In the meantime I may find a nice 2nd hand version of the Apo-Summicron 75mm to complete my Leica Lens trinity.

Thanks again for everyones input, I am more comfortable taking this route.

E

Well I'm excited for you !

Aprils around the corner