Been offered a Leicaflex SL2. Will 80-200R ROM lens fit?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The SBOOI is a good idea, leaving the camera unmodified. I've used on on my LTM models as it gives a great view for a glasses wearer.

Tom, 

I have ordered a near mint SBOOI and told the original dealer that I will keep the O series. Looking at the camera in detail while I was loading a film just now, it has never been registered for warranty, nor passport and seemingly never even opened up by how stiff the bottom cover release was. I assume it must be old unsold dealer stock, that someone found at the back of a cupboard. In which case it was good value at the £649 I paid for it. I ran off about 30 shots at Z  with no film to free off the shutter and curtains and all sounds correct to my shutter speed calibrating ear (the left one) now  :)

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

I don't think you'll get a timely or meaningful response asking through Leica UK. Always best to ask Wetzlar in my experience. That said, I'd be interested to hear their response to the question as I'd consider having the swap if it is remotely reasonable in cost.  :D

Leica said that the cost of changing the viewfinder on the O Series Type One from wire frame to Galilean, would exceed the cost of the whole camera. Not sure about that myself as it looks to me as if all that would be needed would be to remove the wire finder and top plate, then drill and tap four new holes for the Galilean. However as the Galilean finder was only ever issued on a limited edition, Leica would not even be prepared to consider doing it. Slightly surprised at this somewhat negative response. I would have thought it was something that Leica's à la carte division could do with about 2 to 3 hours work. However it forced me to get a SBOOI viewer, which is actually far better to use than the reverse Galilean on my I[C] Standard. I also have got a FISON hood, with tatty chrome on the front section, which I picked up for next to nothing. I will cut it back to bare brass then paint it satin black with my air brush. I may decide to paint the SBOOI black at the same time, then pick out the engraving in white with a fine point paint stick but it doesn't actually look that offensive in chrome. The SBOOI was a bit loose in the shoe, which I cured by sticking a transparent self adhesive 3M Bumpon cylindrical sticker onto the bottom of the viewer, in between the two arms of the shoe fitting and then trimming it down with a scalpel until the viewer was a firm but not stiff fit in the shoe. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

Leica said that the cost of changing the viewfinder on the O Series Type One from wire frame to Galilean, would exceed the cost of the whole camera. Not sure about that myself as it looks to me as if all that would be needed would be to remove the wire finder and top plate, then drill and tap four new holes for the Galilean. However as the Galilean finder was only ever issued on a limited edition, Leica would not even be prepared to consider doing it. Slightly surprised at this somewhat negative response. I would have thought it was something that Leica's à la carte division could do with about 2 to 3 hours work. However it forced me to get a SBOOI viewer, which is actually far better to use than the reverse Galilean on my I[C] Standard. I also have got a FISON hood, with tatty chrome on the front section, which I picked up for next to nothing. I will cut it back to bare brass then paint it satin black with my air brush. I may decide to paint the SBOOI black at the same time, then pick out the engraving in white with a fine point paint stick but it doesn't actually look that offensive in chrome. The SBOOI was a bit loose in the shoe, which I cured by sticking a transparent self adhesive 3M Bumpon cylindrical sticker onto the bottom of the viewer, in between the two arms of the shoe fitting and then trimming it down with a scalpel until the viewer was a firm but not stiff fit in the shoe. 

Wilson

Thanks for letting me know. I'm not surprised at Leica's response, both the suggested cost and the unwillingness to do it. 

Regarding the SBOOI, it looks like a good solution. Can you get the half case on without having to cut the strap?

Edited by wattsy

Thanks for letting me know. I'm not surprised at Leica's response, both the suggested cost and the unwillingness to do it. 

Regarding the SBOOI, it looks like a good solution. Can you get the half case on without having to cut the strap?

Ian, 

I haven't tried yet but as the case will definitely not close with the SBOOI, I will either use the wire frame when using the case or most likely use the O without the case and the SBOOI. I think if you try to use the strap, it will fit but press a bit too firmly on the rewind knob, risking tearing film. As I spent four hours last week, picking many years' worth of bits of shredded film out of the motor drive in my Graflex Combat Graphic, which had jammed it solid, it is an exercise I am keen not to repeat  :)

Wilson

• Like 1

Ian,

The strap does sort of fit with the SBOOI, by raising the rewind knob a little bit, which does not affect its function but of course, like I said above, you cannot close the front. 

Wilson

• Like 1