Been offered a Leicaflex SL2. Will 80-200R ROM lens fit?

wlaidlaw

WOW, now that is a decent 180º turn, LOL.

VERY nice, I have often lusted over them.

I do have the Model 1a, so sort of something similar, but I really need to sort the front coating out on the lens, it is ghastly, and images are soft as because of it. I even contemplated buying a new lens assembly, there is a crowd near you Wilson (MW Cameras or similar) who had one, but they are not overly easy to deal with.

You have me thinking some more now, darn.

Enjoy, keep us in the loop how it goes please,

Gary

• Like 1

.....  It was love at first sight and only 5 days after Valentine's Day! .......

Wilson, I'm tempted to ask, what is the masculine equivalent of  La donna e mobile!

Get a Wrigoletto on? 

The O series arrived this morning. Opened the box only to be totally disappointed. The camera the dealer has sent me is a type 1 O series replica, with the horrible single lensed wire frame finder, that you have to hold at wobbling arms-length like a cheap point and shoot. The camera shown on the dealer's website was a type 2 with a "proper" reverse Galilean finder, that you can hold up to your eye. It appears to be the only O series currently for sale in the UK. Will I keep it or send it back - dilemma? Probably send it back is the answer.

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The O series arrived this morning. Opened the box only to be totally disappointed. The camera the dealer has sent me is a type 1 O series replica, with the horrible single lensed wire frame finder, that you have to hold at wobbling arms-length like a cheap point and shoot. The camera shown on the dealer's website was a type 2 with a "proper" reverse Galilean finder, that you can hold up to your eye. It appears to be the only O series currently for sale in the UK. Will I keep it or send it back - dilemma? Probably send it back is the answer.

No point keeping it if it's not what you want, Wilson. A bit sloppy of the retailer to send you the wrong camera.

For what it's worth, I have the first version 0-serie replica and the gun sight finder seems to add to the idiosyncratic 'charms' of the camera – if you have to fanny around capping the lens, part winding the film before changing the shutter speed, etc., you might as well make composition as awkward as possible too. I am often minded of Sal DiMarco's observation that, with the 0-serie replica, you get all the quality of 35mm film with the ease of large format. :D

One advantage (other than, presumably, price) of the version you have compared to the newer replica is that you don't have the awful Barnack engraving stuck on the back of the camera. The 0-serie is a beautifully made camera with a very refined paint finish. Only Leica can answer why they thought it a good idea to stick a cheesy plaque on the camera.

No point keeping it if it's not what you want, Wilson. A bit sloppy of the retailer to send you the wrong camera.

For what it's worth, I have the first version 0-serie replica and the gun sight finder seems to add to the idiosyncratic 'charms' of the camera – if you have to fanny around capping the lens, part winding the film before changing the shutter speed, etc., you might as well make composition as awkward as possible too. I am often minded of Sal DiMarco's observation that, with the 0-serie replica, you get all the quality of 35mm film with the ease of large format. :D

One advantage (other than, presumably, price) of the version you have compared to the newer replica is that you don't have the awful Barnack engraving stuck on the back of the camera. The 0-serie is a beautifully made camera with a very refined paint finish. Only Leica can answer why they thought it a good idea to stick a cheesy plaque on the camera.

Ian, 

The main problem is that I cannot see the gun sight finder properly. I have had cataract replacement surgery with single vision lenses and laser surgery. This gives me 20/20 distance vision but I need to wear +1.25 or +1.5 reading glasses for near vision. The gun sight seems to work in such a way that my arms are not long enough to use it without reading glasses and with reading glasses, the image in the lens is tiny. It is like looking through a telescope held a foot away from your eye. I agree about the finish on the 2000 model and the horrible Oskar Barnack engraving on the 2004 model. I have only tried the VF with 1.25 glasses. I will try again with 1.5 and see if that improves matters. I am waiting for Leica UK service to phone me back to see if Wetzlar can change the viewfinder to the reverse Galilean one. 

I must like making difficult for myself in photography. I have recently bought a Graflex Combat Graphic giant rangefinder KS-6 kit, where I have to load my own 70mm cassettes from bulk inside a changing bag and I have not worked out yet how to get the 70mm Rollei 400S film processed. You can buy a 70mm x 5M (170mm in diameter) reel from Hewes Products but nobody makes a developing tank to fit it.

Wilson

I am waiting for Leica UK service to phone me back to see if Wetzlar can change the viewfinder to the reverse Galilean one.

I don't think you'll get a timely or meaningful response asking through Leica UK. Always best to ask Wetzlar in my experience. That said, I'd be interested to hear their response to the question as I'd consider having the swap if it is remotely reasonable in cost.  :D

I don't think you'll get a timely or meaningful response asking through Leica UK. Always best to ask Wetzlar in my experience. That said, I'd be interested to hear their response to the question as I'd consider having the swap if it is remotely reasonable in cost.  :D

Ian, 

You are of course, absolutely correct. Sent an email therefore, to our favourite action lady at Wetzlar. I will send you a PM if I have any success. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Wilson , I have just received my Leicaflex SL entirely revised from Wetzlar. Leica still has parts for the camera I purchased in 1969 ie 47 years  !  It works well and I have recently get out for Street Photos (SP) in Paris

just to test if I can use for this purpose , as I said to GaryB. You can see some pictures in "I like film" thread.

A little heavy in comparison with my 4 M RF I use normally for SP

Leicaflex is a solid camera like a German Panzer tank  :) speeds  fully mechanical like the MP.

If you want to use your Vario on your Leicaflex , Wetzlar can remove  the ROM contact , but it's better you sell to someone who has R8 or R9 . It's a pity to remove these contacts !
I had an R8 with a Vario Elmar with Rom (now sold) and I asked Leica if I can
use this Vario on my Leicalfex.
Brief, you can not use the Vario with Rom on the Leicaflex !

Regards

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

Henry, 

I have decided I really am a dyed in the wool rangefinder man, apart from my purchase of the new SL, which I really like. However I am just not sure about this "O" series purchase after the disappointment. I am waiting to hear back from Andrea in Wetzlar to see if they can change the "O" to a reverse Galilean finder. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Darn. Sorry to hear that the inflated sense has deflated quickly, I hate that when it happens.

Me? I'd send it back, and either abandon altogether the idea, or seek another version that you desire.

Changing, if indeed possible, will be costly, and a drawn out affair I reckon.

Start again.

Gary

I really like the camera itself other than the VF. Until you have seen one, you just cannot imagine how beautifully made and finished they are. They make other modern Leica products look rather ordinary. Leica obviously really enjoy making these anniversary products and make a big extra effort to make them something special.

I have had a number of series IV/V 50mm Summicrons over the last 30 years, have never been terribly impressed other than its neat size and sold them on again fairly quickly. I bought last year, one of the 50th anniversary 1999 year chrome LTM 50 Summicrons, expecting it to be better than all my older LTM lenses but still nothing special. When I ran the focus and resolution tests on my M240, to my very considerable surprise, it was nearly as good as my 50mm ZM Planar, which is my "go to" lens when I want super sharp, with high micro contrast for technical photos. That may also be due to its being the only chrome/brass Summicron IV/V I have had, as opposed to black/aluminium. There certainly was a period a few years ago, when the odds of getting a really good Leica lens seemed to be higher on brass bodied lenses than aluminium. 

Someone on RFF suggested an SBOOI Leitz finder. Someone (a trade seller) has one for sale in Brighton, so I might go and look at it this afternoon. It would not cost a lot to get Alan Starkie at Cameraworks to paint it black and then pick out the engraving in white. 

Wilson

I really like the camera itself other than the VF. Until you have seen one, you just cannot imagine how beautifully made and finished they are. They make other modern Leica products look rather ordinary. Leica obviously really enjoy making these anniversary products and make a big extra effort to make them something special.

Someone on RFF suggested an SBOOI Leitz finder. 

Yes, the attractiveness of the 0-serie as a very well made product (I wouldn't be surprised if Leica made a loss on these products) is pretty much the reason I have kept it. I don't really use it but it seems a bit pointless to sell the camera because I don't think they fetch much more than the price of a mass produced piece of ephemeral technology like an iPad. It is practically an objet d'art and I nice thing to own. The half-case is extremely well made and a cut above anything I've seen Leica sell for the M system. The black paint finish is IMO finer than that on the MP. If Leica repeated a project like this now, I think these cameras would have an RRP comparable to the M10.

Regarding the SBOOI, I'm not sure if the little strap on the half case wouldn't get in the way? It fits right across the cold shoe (which isn't the greatest price of product design).

Regarding the SBOOI, I'm not sure if the little strap on the half case wouldn't get in the way? It fits right across the cold shoe (which isn't the greatest price of product design).

Nothing that a quick trim with a scalpel would not cure.