Red Dot -- UK Leica Dealer

Leicauser7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with this Leica dealer and if they are reputable. I am having a horrible experience with them right now. Worst customer service I have seen. Is this an outlier or have others had problems with them? I had only heard good things about them and am shocked by the inattention and unconcern of a salesperson. Would appreciate any insights. Thank you.

Edited by jaapv
Name removed

On a lighter note that the one with the crocodile  'Elvis’ snapping away in front of the display cabinets. So perhaps it is best to ring ahead of ahy visit to the store! He's there until 09:29!

Red Dot are one of the best dealers in the UK. I have bought plenty of kit from them and always found them to be friendly and with decent prices.

They possibly have the best used selection in the UK.

I am amazed that you are having any trouble with them at all.

• Like 5

I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with this Leica dealer and if they are reputable. I am having a horrible experience with them right now. Worst customer service I have seen. Is this an outlier or have others had problems with them? I had only heard good things about them and am shocked by the inattention and unconcern of a salesperson named Francis. Would appreciate any insights. Thank you.

Ivor and Elaine have consistently given me outstandingly good service.  I'm very surprised that you've had a negative experience. Both buying and selling they've been great to work with - and I know Ivor from years back when I bought my first M6 from Jessops tiny second hand camera shop off Pied Bull Yard in Bloomsbury. I've also dealt with Francis and found him knowledgeable and helpful.  Really shocked!

As an afterthought - wouldn't it be fairer to bring this directly to the attention of the owner rather than raising it on a public forum (especially when you name one of the employees)?  It can take years for a firm to build a reputation, but minutes to lose it on the pillory of an internet forum.

Edited by chris_tribble
  • Like 9

Ok that's fair --- I will say for what it is worth however that I am located in a different country and they have not been responsive to my emails. In any event, I am reassured by your feedback and hopefully everything will work out. One gets a bit concerned when they take cash wires only refusing credit cards and then the customer service seems evaporate once they have their funds and the customer having parted with cash and in a different part of the world has little leverage. I will try calling them tomorrow. Again, many thanks for the reassurance.

Edited by Leicauser7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I rate Red Dot Cameras highly and wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending them. I've always had excellent service from them and have purchased all of my leica cameras and lenses from them. I've dealt with Francis on the phone and face to face and have found him extremely helpful and efficient. Most recently, I met him when I picked up my M10 and have him to thank for establishing the waiting list with me at #1. Can't fault them.

I'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with this Leica dealer and if they are reputable. I am having a horrible experience with them right now. Worst customer service I have seen. Is this an outlier or have others had problems with them? I had only heard good things about them and am shocked by the inattention and unconcern of a salesperson named Francis. Would appreciate any insights. Thank you.

Ordered and paid for a secondhand Arte di Mano case on Wednesday via their online shopping cart. Item was delivered the following day together with full invoice. I've never had a problem with Red Dot and monitor their site .

Is it the case that a non-standard and loosely documented transaction based on a verbal discussion is being attempted. That can lead to problems. Or are we dealing with a service problem, a misunderstanding, or a conflict of opinion.

Edited by lucerne

Sorry - and surprised - to hear of your problem. I've never been in the shop (but next time I'm in London I will!) - my only dealings have been asking for a catalogue and buying a NOS baseplate for my M4-P. Maybe not representative - but, as others have said, Red Dot Cameras has a very high reputation in the U.K. I'm sure things will be sorted to your satisfaction. Just to 'complete the circle', please let the forum know how things work out.

Have bought a few cameras and lenses from Red Dot over the last five years and most recently my Leica M10. I have personally dealt with Francis a few times and he has always been an absolute pleasure to deal with and is very efficient and knowledgeable. Really surprised to hear of your troubles as they are one of the best Leica dealers in London and particularly good in getting in stock quickly and addressing any issues if they arise. I had my Leica M10 within two weeks.

I am sure that waiting for your Leica M10 can be frustrating at times - we have all been there -  but I am not sure that naming an employee who can't really get his side of the story back on here is the best way to get your camera any quicker. 

Edited by nico1974

I will definitely report back. The problem I am experiencing is a lack of attention, follow through and communication with respect to a shipping snafu -- the package was supposedly dispatched many days ago and their shipping service, a company called OCS, is horrendous. They never follow through or communicate what is happening and the Reddot team does not either, and the situation seems to go on day after day without the red dot team following up or paying attention. They don't reply to emails with any consistency or follow up with the 3rd party shipping company to ensure they aren't screwing things up even further. Why they don't take credit cards and use a known shopper like FEDEX or UPS is not clear, particularly as they claim to do a very large oversees "mail" business of Leica goods.

In any case, this is probably the bad exception that proves the good rule and hopefully I can report back an effective and fair resolution.

Haven't bought from them for a while but I have always found them to be very reliable, honest and great people to deal with. I'm not sure that it is very ethical to name an employee in this way on this or any forum 

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

Apologies don't mean to upset anyone here... I'm just looking for feedback and reassurance and that has been happily provided. I won't go into any further details as that will just open a Pandora's box.... as you point out I've probably already said more than I should but as they have my 5k of cash, don't reply to emails, don't follow up and I'm in another part of the world, I don't have many options.... Thank you

Hey - you certainly didn't upset me! I can appreciate the uncertainty of spendinding a lot of money with a company in a different country. Hope you have been reassured. No Pandora's Box - but please let us know that this has been resolved. And - if we are talking M10.. ..you lucky so-and-so..

Ok that's fair --- I will say for what it is worth however that I am located in a different country and they have not been responsive to my emails.

I too have found them very friendly and have purchased quite a few items through them without any problems.

They might just be extremely busy especially with the release of the M10 and the influx of used cameras that need to be sold.

I will definitely report back. The problem I am experiencing is a lack of attention, follow through and communication with respect to a shipping snafu -- the package was supposedly dispatched many days ago and their shipping service, a company called OCS, is horrendous. They never follow through or communicate what is happening and the Reddot team does not either, and the situation seems to go on day after day without the red dot team following up or paying attention. They don't reply to emails with any consistency or follow up with the 3rd party shipping company to ensure they aren't screwing things up even further. Why they don't take credit cards and use a known shopper like FEDEX or UPS is not clear, particularly as they claim to do a very large oversees "mail" business of Leica goods.

In any case, this is probably the bad exception that proves the good rule and hopefully I can report back an effective and fair resolution.

As others have said Red Dot are definitely a reputable dealer!

It sounds like the issue is more to do with the shipping company - if they aren't being responsive to you they're probably not being responsive to Red Dot either. I'm guessing you expected your parcel by now and it's not arrived? I have heard stories of parcels being held up in customs for some time which is out of everybody's hands. 

I can understand them not taking credit card orders from abroad - fraudulent transactions can result in chargebacks long after the goods have been despatched / received. The credit card co's don't provide protection for the seller, just the buyer. 

Maybe try a phone call instead of email?

Edited by earleygallery
  • Like 1

I'm honestly very surprised to hear this. They are my dealer of first approach. I once went into the store with a query about one of my lenses which I had brought in - I wasn't sure whether something I had noticed was normal. Neither was Ivor, so he spent 20 minutes on my behalf on the phone to Malcolm Taylor getting the definitive answer from the horses mouth (everything was OK BTW). I reckon this was customer service way way beyond what I might reasonably have expected. I've bought new from them, as well as having them handle a commission sale for me; all handled impeccably.