M8 - parts and maintenance - risky to buy

leicadude

I think it's a silly price to pay for such an old digital camera, which should the LCD fail, basically becomes a paperweight. 

not at all. your M8 just becomes an M8-D without extra charge. just figure out how to set it to basic ISO and .dng-recording and use it.

and then the LCD usually dont completely fail but do get ugly "coffee" stains that are making it difficult to check the quality of pictures taken. from what i hear, the menue usually keeps readable so you can still use the camera.

• 5 years later...
On 2/18/2017 at 1:03 AM, biggles said:

Hi all.

1st post here.

I too am considering the M8 as my starting point in the M world.  They sell for around 2k here in Australia.  It feels a bit high for something thats 10 years old with known issues but that seems the price of admission.

If i pull the trigger on one, i'll likely start with just one lens. Probably a Zeiss C 35/ 2.8.  See how i like it and go from there.

Regards.

I got (shutter,IR) upgraded M8 for $ 500 and lost interest in much newer Fujifilm  XPro and Panasonic GH.  Time after time shot my X Vario. M8 is like endless  finest Kodak film experience, LOVE  IT!