M10 flash issue

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica should just put a flash socket on their camera bodies.  Because you just can't use a viewfinder and a flash in the hot shoe at the same time.  It's been the same problem since their first digital M(8).

Time to grow up and accept that a lot of good photographers do use flash.

• Like 4

I don't understand the need for Evf. The flash gives a lot of light, so no need for super accurate focusing. The ovf. gives some advantages over other finders, you can monitor the flashlight in the finder, all other finders go black in the exposure moment. What tires my eyes or rather my brain, is trying to focus the rangefinder in close ups using large apertures. But with flash,, 35 or 50 mm. Lenses at two meters or more using f. 8 to 16, focusing is not an issue

• Like 1

I don't understand the need for Evf. The flash gives a lot of light, so no need for super accurate focusing. The ovf. gives some advantages over other finders, you can monitor the flashlight in the finder, all other finders go black in the exposure moment. What tires my eyes or rather my brain, is trying to focus the rangefinder in close ups using large apertures. But with flash,, 35 or 50 mm. Lenses at two meters or more using f. 8 to 16, focusing is not an issue

I understand where you are coming from. I shoot a lot of corporate and environmental portraits so I like to keep the aperture as wide as I can. Such as F2 of f2.8 on a 75mm or 135mm (Elmarit). This way I can get control of the background and stop the portrait from been overpowered by the background. Quite often I am shown to a meeting room with busy walls to do the portraits. So I have to shoot wide to take the emphasise off the backgrounds. A lot of offices that I have been in screw the pictures onto the wall, so if I take them off there are marks left on the walls from where they were.

So with 20 or 30 portraits to be shoot I do find my eyes get tired, so I like the reassurance of using the EVF to nail focus. Plus I have to use flash to get the consistency throughout the session. With daylight the sun moves, so if the shoot takes two hours then the shots at the start of the shoot look nothing like the shots at the end of the shoot!

That is why, for me, I need to be able to shoot flash while using the EVF.

• Like 2

That is why, for me, I need to be able to shoot flash while using the EVF.

All it would need is either a multi-functional grip like for the 240 or a flash socket adapter of some sort. I do so hope that something appears like this because I definitely see EVF and Flash (SF-40) or Flash Trigger for Elinchromes as a necessity at some stage in my studio. LV could also of course work but I am confortable with a Viewfinder.

But with flash,, 35 or 50 mm. Lenses at two meters or more using f. 8 to 16, focusing is not an issue

I shall have to experiment more and check that out when I get my M10. Rangefinder focus in a studio with two elinchromes and a SF-40 on the camera, so no EVF I wonder if I can do that successfully? I talk here of using the Macro-Elmar 1:4/90 with and without the Macro-Adapter-M. If I can do that I would be very happy, and could forget about using the EVF and maybe once focussed with the Rangefinder press LV and that could be my focus accuracy check?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes LV is certainly an option and is great if you are using a tripod, a hood for the screen would be good too. However, if you are hand-holding then the camera is not as secure as when you have it pressed to your eye and you are now more susceptible to camera shake. And camera shake is really noticeable when you are mixing flash and available light.

Always using a Quadropod in the studio and the lens hood. Never or hardly ever hand-holding in that situation.  I of course would use like also to use the Visoflex, but the slot would be taken up with either the Skyport for the Elinchroms or the SF-40 flash. Hopefully a solution will come up eventually.

Edited by Guest

Leica should just put a flash socket on their camera bodies.  Because you just can't use a viewfinder and a flash in the hot shoe at the same time.

...or Leica should put a flash socket on the side of the Visoflex.

• Like 1

Fuji's solution for using an EVF and flash together with the new GFX is ingenious and straightforward. When I saw that the flash socket was used for a removable EVF I was disheartened, because, I, too, sometimes need both an EVF and a flash for event photography. Then I looked carefully and saw that Fuji's removable EVF has a flash hot shoe socket on the top of the removable EVF. It would be great (but hardly to be hoped for) if Leica made an EVF with a flash hot shoe on top....We can, at least, dream....

Fuji's solution for using an EVF and flash together with the new GFX is ingenious and straightforward. When I saw that the flash socket was used for a removable EVF I was disheartened, because, I, too, sometimes need both an EVF and a flash for event photography. Then I looked carefully and saw that Fuji's removable EVF has a flash hot shoe socket on the top of the removable EVF. It would be great (but hardly to be hoped for) if Leica made an EVF with a flash hot shoe on top....We can, at least, dream....

The GFX also has a flash port on the body, but that camera will see heavy studio use by many buyers so that is a must.

• Like 1

I forgot another reason that I have just come across. Using a non-rangefinder lens with the camera and I needed to add flash into the sceen. With the M240 and MF grip, no issue, but try doing that with the M10. I wanted to change up from my M240 to the M10 but I can't because of this issue.

Dear Leica, I love your cameras but please add a PC socket!

• Like 4

I forgot another reason that I have just come across. Using a non-rangefinder lens with the camera and I needed to add flash into the sceen. With the M240 and MF grip, no issue, but try doing that with the M10. I wanted to change up from my M240 to the M10 but I can't because of this issue.

Dear Leica, I love your cameras but please add a PC socket!

It seems this could be handled with a very simple add on, just a small device that replicates and passes on the electronic connections at the front of the hot shoe and connects to the hot shoe to power a PC socket. I hope Leica or a 3rd party makes one as it should be a simple solution to this problem and allow people to use R and other lenses with their M10 and flash.

It hasn't been made yet, and the Visoflex has been around for a few years. I can see some possible considerations, for instance, the EVF will remain connected. Does it accept flash   trigger power peaks? Does the camera switch certain circuits from the flash control module to the EVF module when the EVF is attached? etc.

I think the adapter - if someone ever produced it - should separate the circuit for flash from the circuit for the EVF and then send the different signals to two different hotshoes. As I certainly don't know anything about the electricity for both devices, having never seen a M10 hotshoe, I know this is mere theory.

1. The M240 is still available.

2. The SL is the same size and weight as an M240 with the EVFand MF grip attached.

3. Enough people went on about how the M ddn't need video and all that stuff and should be smaller until Leica actually built it and now the other group are saying to add it back in. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It looks like Leica see the SL as a way of truely differentiating the M line from the "general purpose" SL. The 240 was like this because there was no SL. Now there is.

On occasion I too, would appreciate a separate flash socket, either TTL or PC. But I realise I'm far in the minority and it's not going to happen unless the M gets bigger again. So I'll just use the SL which is designed to have both flash and EVF and does it better than the 240 ever did anyway.

Gordon

• Like 6

Thanks Gordon, so to address your points.

1. Yes, and I am still using my M240s.

2. For me, that would mean buying 2 M10s as that is the form factor I wan to use. And also buying a SL. That would be an extra €6900 on top of €13000 for two M10s. Ouch! Also, using two different cameras systems would drive me nuts. Buttons would be in different places, etc.

3. Not looking for video. Very few 'stills' cameras can compete with the Panasonic GH4 or even better the GH5 anyway.

All film Leicas have a PC socket, that is all I want, a PC socket. One little PC socket. Is it too much to ask for, a PC socket.... Please, can I have a PC socket.... Nice PC socket... Nice precious... Lost! Lost! My Precious is lost!!   

OK, Im stepping away from the computer now.   :wacko:

• Like 4