M10 flash issue

jto555

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have one major issue with the M10, which is why I am holding off on upgrading to the M10. I know most users will not have this issue.

I need to use flash and the EVF at the same time. I shoot a lot of corporate portraits, so for consistency I have to use flash. Also, if I am photographing a lot of people I use the EVF because I find my eyes can get tired if I am doing 20 or more portraits and I use the rangefinder. With the M240 I have the MF hand grip and flash bracket and the system works!

Leica seem to want to make a 'digital clone' of the M7, so could they not have included a PC socket in the M10?  :wacko:

I am sure people will recommand the SL, but for my other work the M is the camera I want to use so I am going to stick with that.

• Like 5

Did anyone try wifi using an iPad instead of the Visoflex with a flash in the hotshoe?

Another solution could be doubling the hotshoe with an adapter like this: https://www.amazon.de/Foton-Doppel-Fotoschuh-Adapter-SZ3/dp/B004RZ2KOS

Though of course the item shown in the link will not give you the functions necessary for the visoflex. Some gifted electronic wizard might build one - and sell it for Leica prices.

Not a perfect solution by any means, but you could use the rear screen in LV with a flash or trigger in the hot-shoe. Probably only works acceptably if you're using a tripod though.

That is exactly what I did yesterday with acceptable end results.

On another forum, with another camera, I saw a similar problem handled by making up a thin electrical cable that connected the center and side electrodes of the body's hot shoe to a hot shoe equipped flash bracket. The EVF slid in over the thin cable and contacts, since it doesn't use the flash synch contacts at all. I suspect the same thing could be done for the M10. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree this is an issue for the people who need flash. I thought the M240's handling of this with flash bracket and USB multifunction grip was ingenious.

The connector for that grip is still under the baseplate, just covered up by that SD card picture/panel. It was actually a member here, edw (thanks dude) who discovered it.

Come on Leica, all this killing of functionality is painful and very unproductive!

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 2

Personally (it's me, not you....) I did the whole EVF with MF grip and SCA adaptor thing on the M240 for a while and ended up buying an SL. With the grip and EVF the M240 and SL weigh almost the same and they're also the same size. As an M shooter I should find the SL not as satisfying but with flash it was the opposite. The SL instantly removed my frustrations.

I know you already saw this coming but it really is the solution. Instead of two M's I just now carry an M and SL to these type of events. I use the M where appropriate and the M where appropriate.

I can still love my M and I have one on the other shoulder when I'm shooting weddings and events with the SL. They both get used.

Having the SL makes the M10 even more attractive to me.

Gordon

• Like 3

I agree this is an issue for the people who need flash. I thought the M240's handling of this with flash bracket and USB multifunction grip was ingenious.

The connector for that grip is still under the baseplate, just covered up by that SD card picture/panel. It was actually a member here, edw (thanks dude) who discovered it.

Come on Leica, all this killing of functionality is painful and very unproductive!

I thought the WiFi aerial was behind that panal.

Personally (it's me, not you....) I did the whole EVF with MF grip and SCA adaptor thing on the M240 for a while and ended up buying an SL. With the grip and EVF the M240 and SL weigh almost the same and they're also the same size. As an M shooter I should find the SL not as satisfying but with flash it was the opposite. The SL instantly removed my frustrations.

I know you already saw this coming but it really is the solution. Instead of two M's I just now carry an M and SL to these type of events. I use the M where appropriate and the M where appropriate.

I can still love my M and I have one on the other shoulder when I'm shooting weddings and events with the SL. They both get used.

Having the SL makes the M10 even more attractive to me.

Gordon

Hi Gordon, I don't like the idea of carrying two different camaras on a job. Or three? two M10's for my event work an an SL for portraits. The bank manager said NO!  :rolleyes:  What would be a bit easer is to trade in one body for the M10 and keep an M240, but again that is two different bodies. So, for me, I think I will have to hold off and hope Leica at least put a PC socket in the new modal, or go back to the MF grip. Unless Ramarrens solution works.

John

On another forum, with another camera, I saw a similar problem handled by making up a thin electrical cable that connected the center and side electrodes of the body's hot shoe to a hot shoe equipped flash bracket. The EVF slid in over the thin cable and contacts, since it doesn't use the flash synch contacts at all. I suspect the same thing could be done for the M10. 

Hi Ramarren, would you have a link to that forum post?

Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but would something like this work? maybe there is a leica shoe compatible version?

http://www.kenro.co.uk/products/flashguns/nissin_universal_shoe_cord/

no, won't work, as the EVF has contacts in the front of the flash shoe

• Like 1

Forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, but would something like this work? maybe there is a leica shoe compatible version?

It would be great if Leica made a version of this with electronic contacts for the EVF. It certainly would be a low cost way of addressing the issue.

• Like 1

This Nissin SC 01 looks like the older Nikon SC 28 - which works very well for flash on a Leica body (I have the SC 28 for the M9 and I am sure it will work for the M10, since the flashes are compatible with both cameras.  

It will not work for the EVF. 

To use flash and the EVF together we would need a sort of Y-Adapter: one connection for the flash, the second for the EVF. Should not be impossible to make, though I fear that the Leica market is too small for other producers.

Edited by UliWer

Maybe the wifi / wlan option can offer a solution to the problem.

Maybe not right now, but with some firmware modifications?

But going back to the original problem .... I find focusing through the EVF (2) much more difficult than the standard view finder.

(Don't know the M10 / EVF combi)

I think the thin wires are a very unreliable, if not dangerous option, as there are 5 cables required.

Maybe the modification of the EVF with parts of an extension cable flash plate and micro plug could be looked at

Edited by esquire53