Buying a 007 and help choosing lenses

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 120 vs 100 is a tough question. I have both and love both and you can't go wrong with either. The 120 is great due to its macro ability besides its usual incredible S look. However, the 100mm I believe will suit you better. Its fast focusing and to me a bit more useful in general purposes with its 80mm equivalent fov. The DOF of both can be tiny if you like, at close focus its like 1mm dof! I think a 45/100 combo is a great starting point. Like many of us, you'll eventually have the 120mm too and probably a lot of others. The 70mm is the bargain of the bunch and is a great way to get started as a one lens solution. Price considerations aside, the 45/100 combo can do almost anything and really would cover you for most situations. For my M and SL, I have always found 35mm to be the most universal and when traveling "light" with the S, the 45 is the lens I take. Last year on a trip to Italy, I did not want a bag full of glass. I took just the 45/100 combo and never felt I was missing anything. I was shooting vintage cars and scenery and used my feet to get things in between to the two focal lengths.

Also, I use a Peak Design hand strap which uses a tripod mount plate and is very secure and easily removable. This is my prefered way of carrying the S. Walking the streets all day and its comfortable for a medium format camera. M's and SL I use over the shoulder, the S and a lens is just too big for that, to me.

You're going to love the results of the system whichever lens you choose. Having gone down the obsessive route with lenses and picking up all of them except the 180mm and 30mm, if I had to do it again, I might just have stuck with the 45/100 combo.

Thanks for the advice! Do you have a link to the hand strap?

"I've never used a tripod designed for a larger camera like the 007.  From what I've been reading I will need a ball head and possibly a leveling plate (depending on the design of the ball) in addition to the tripod itself.  Could somebody please recommend me a tripod and ball head that would be tall enough for someone who is six feet tall?  I'd be great if the tripod could collapse to be small enough to fit into a backpack or carry-on bag for flights and easy transport.  I also don't want to spend too much on one, but I do appreciate the need for something stable with this camera."

I use an RRS TVC-3x, RRS leveling base and an Arca-Swiss d4. The Arca-Swiss PO is a good alternative ballhead. I'm 6', btw.

Edited by Photoskeptic
  • Like 1

The RRS TVC 24L is a pound lighter than the 34L, retracts 1.5 in. shorter, is rated to support 40lb (vs 50lb).....and still accommodates a 6 footer, especially with a robust head and leveling platform attached (both include 4-section legs).  I find it sturdy, yet still light and small enough for travel with a system comparable to the S007.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I use a Gitzo GT5562LTS with an Arca Swiss cube head. It's a particular set up, not for everybody I guess. The tripod is a Gitzo 5 series, which is the sturdiest type of tripod made by Gitzo to be used with the heaviest camera gear. Probably an overkill on the S. However, it's a 6-leg tripod with no central column, which means that is sufficiently compact to easily fit in a luggage (50cm). 6 legs usually mean that the tripod can be flimsy and not as sturdy as a 3 or 4 legs. However, because it's a 5-series it ends up being very sturdy and very compact. The cube head is superb for architecture photography, but it's heavy. Yes, the whole set up is heavy, no questions about that. And it's very expensive too, but it works great even for long-exposure when it's windy. 

Regardless of which tripod/head you choose, keep in mind that the weight rating of tripod makers is misleading in the sense that a camera set up that weights let's say 15lbs requires a tripod rated way more than 20lbs to be sturdy, especially if you do long exposure or you use telephoto. My second suggestion is to buy a good tripod/head or you will end up buying it twice. At the end, no matter how expensive a tripod can be it's still a fraction of what the S system cost and it will likely outlast the camera. 

• Like 1

I have a Gitzo tall 3-series with a cube (7.5 lbs total) for absolute solidity, but then I don't tend to take it out on walks. (The fourth leg section is for uneven ground, not height.) I've ordered a Novoflex TrioBal. With just a clamp, it's 3.5 lbs. With an Arca P0, it's 4.3 lbs. I hope that proves stable and portable. We'll see. 

--Matt

I've decided to go with a BH-55 head with the screw release and either the TVC-24L or 34L... tough decision between those two. I'm confused about quick release plates- could someone please recommend me a simple plate that fits the S 007 and the RRS screwed quick release? Also, would it be worthwhile getting a leveling base?

I've decided to go with a BH-55 head with the screw release and either the TVC-24L or 34L... tough decision between those two. I'm confused about quick release plates- could someone please recommend me a simple plate that fits the S 007 and the RRS screwed quick release? Also, would it be worthwhile getting a leveling base?

BS2-L plate. I've already provided thoughts, and links, for everything else.

Jeff

Here is the Peak Design link for the hand strap:

https://www.peakdesign.com/clutch

I haven't tried others but this one seems perfect to me. Easy to tighten while in use. I also use it on my SL and 24-90 combo.

My son has this rig and I tried on on my S but could not get it to work. That said, my S system is permanently housed in a Peak designs bag. It is brilliant.

Was it a size or fit issue with your S? Mine is very comfortable. I transfer it between by S and SL. With the M's, I prefer a Artisan and Artist adjustable shoulder strap.

I too have the Peak Design bag, I've not tried it with my S. I found it a bit snug with the SL. I much prefer a backpack in general. While not nearly as convenient for lens swapping and such, its so much more comfortable. Especially while traveling.

I have both those Tripods, the 24L is best for a the S, very strong and lighter than the 34, check out the Arca Cube if you can, its excellent!!

Edited by RVB
  • Like 1

I cannot say enough good things about the Arca Swiss D4 geared head, It's just brilliant. I put mine on simple Surui legs and it's fabulous. I got an S007 l-plate off eBay which fits perfectly. After the D4G I would never go back to a simple ball head for landscapes.

Gordon

I agree 100%. No other head can do what this one does.

Edited by Manolo Laguillo

I wanted to thank you all again- you've got a really great forum here. I look forward to contributing more and sharing some of my photos. I ended up making out pretty well and have my kit together just in time to head off to South Africa in a few weeks. I got:

New 45mm Elmarit- $3995

New 100mm Summicron- $5500

Used (mint) 120mm APO Summarit CS- $3540

New s007 body- $11,000

Used (mint) F stop Lotus with medium slope ICU- $220

RRS TVC-34L

Arca-Swiss D4 geared

Now I've got to get some ND and polarizer filers and I'll be good to go.

• Like 4

I wanted to thank you all again- you've got a really great forum here. I look forward to contributing more and sharing some of my photos. I ended up making out pretty well and have my kit together just in time to head off to South Africa in a few weeks. I got:

New 45mm Elmarit- $3995

New 100mm Summicron- $5500

Used (mint) 120mm APO Summarit CS- $3540

New s007 body- $11,000

Used (mint) F stop Lotus with medium slope ICU- $220

RRS TVC-34L

Arca-Swiss D4 geared

Now I've got to get some ND and polarizer filers and I'll be good to go.

Great kit you got, congrats! :) About filters, might I suggest to go for square filters rather than round, they are much more flexible and practical in use; just get an adapter ring, and yo can use your system on all lenses. I wrote an article on filters for landscape here, which might be of interest to you:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/07/best-filters-landscape-photography-review.html

Have a great trip to SA and post some images when you are back! :) Best,

Vieri