Being happy with what you have

TheBogart

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello all,

This is a beaten to dead subject. I know. But everyone is going on a frenzy with the release of the Leica M10. Ok. It's fair. The high ISO, slimmer body and no video is making our hearts fall in love with this new Leica. But do we really need that? I start to think.

Tech is always evolving, giving us new features and new ISO and new things to turn our cameras into computers. But Leica has a different approach, the focus on "the essential", on "the moment", no gizmos, no pushing 100 buttons to make something happen. We all suffer from GAS and we always want more.

I have a Leica ME and a Leica MM1 to shoot digital, and a M6 Classic and a M2 to shoot film. 28/50/90 Lenses. What do i need more?

The CCD of the Leica ME gives me amazing colours. The MM1 gives me no color but high ISO and an amazing performance. Almost like film. The M6 and M2 are amazing to shoot with Tri-X and Portra. 28 Elmarit to Wide angle, The 50 Summicron with an amazing render and a 1964 90mm Cron that shines on the MM for portraits.

So i´m happy with what i have. I´m really happy, and i want to share that you all you. So no M10 for me :)

Edited by TheBogart
  • Like 14

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only have an m9 and a 50mm Summicron and I'm happy with that!

www.robertpoolephotography.com

wait till you try a 25mm zeiss or a 35 summicron. your horizon will lift! but i have to agree, if we can only have one camera and one lens its the M9 and 50mm summicron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

ehehhehe. That's True. But we need to celebrate what we have. Without going after new gear. Maybe this post is to tell myself that i cured my GAS when i bought the Leica ME. Eheheh

Yep....I was only half joking.  Since switching to digital 8 years ago (after using film/darkroom since the 70's), I've owned only the M8.2 (skipping the M8) and the M240 (skipping M9 and variants)....and still have the M8.2, which is a very capable machine.

But I'm going to trade my M240 for the M10, in part since my most important criteria/priority when evaluating a camera is how I see and focus on the subject, and the M10 VF hits those buttons.,,,along with a few other practical advantages, e.g., better weather sealing, low light capability, etc.

And I'll still keep my M8.2.

[but I sold all my film gear when I decided not to build another (5th) darkroom.  Good to also lose what you don't use.]

Jeff

• Like 1

So i´m happy with what i have. I´m really happy, and i want to share that you all you. So no M10 for me :)

I have tried it so often.... so often.....  M9.... MM1..... Q.... M10     and.....    I was happy every time with what I have......

I have had at least one Leica camera and a good Leitz lens since 1979. I've never been unhappy with any equipment that I have (or had ... even the Leitz Valoy enlarger). I will say that I prefer fewer to more options as far as equipment goes ... easier to insure too.

The one thing that I wish I had was more time to work!

I do not regret the hardware. I did very well when I was young in a mobile society defying risk, when we thought we were invulnerable. I miss having time, opportunity and an ability to carry more and walk without assistance.

The camera and lens has never been a factor. I did well enough with a Petri 7S to land a job as a daily newspaper photographer in Chicago in 1970.

Suck it up. (Talking to myself).

Pax,

Pico

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

I thought I was good for life with the M9 - but having been a 4x5 on tripod shooter, LV beckoned.  Now I'm good for life with the 240.  Critical focus was the issue - not IQ or ISO.  Photoshop skill solves those issues.

M10 does not tempt.  Roughly 2+ inches of native size in capture width is irrelevant.  For people coming from M8 - or new to M's, a different story

Anyone not tempted by the M10 is frigid, whatever bodies are in the basement....err bag ;)

But Leica is kind enough to throw $6600 worth of cold water on the impluse.

What was that song?

Love the one you're with.

Very practical :)

Really no need to go into elaborate rationalizations. We are tight. :)

Very very tight ;)

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 2

I'm very happy with what I have: M9 with Summicron 35, 50, 75. These far exceed my skill as a photographer...but I do enjoy reading these posts about what "camera or lens I should buy next". I think many are either much more capable then I, or else perhaps just chasing opto-mechanical Unicorns? 

this ^^^