M 90/2 Asph Apo Summicron "MFD in CANADA"

marknoll

Advertisement (gone after registration)

They are Summicron 90 Apo produced in Midland in Canada so engraved at the bottom of the lens: "DESIGNED BY LEICA CAMERA MFD. IN CANADA".

WestLicht shows it an auction last November 2015.
Here is the description:

Apo-Summicron-M 2 / 90mm ASPH. ELC *: one of only 12 lenses produced as samples by ELC, engraved 'DESIGNED BY LEICA CANADA MFD. CANADA 11884 ', before the production of the lens moved to Germany.
Serial No.:3815641

Another from WestLicht in 2006:
Apo-Summicron-M 2 / 90mm ASPH. 11884: pre-series lens very rare Canadian production, the standard lenses were manufactured in Solms Significantly later, engraved: DESIGNED BY LEICA CAMERA MFD. CANADA 11884
Serial No .: 3856424

All I know is from ERWIN PUTS me that refers to 500 pieces made in 1998 by n. the number 3856300 to 3856799.
And from GIUSEPPE Ciccarella that, talking about Leitz Midland writes "... even Leica Camera AG in Solms in late 1998, when it ran into production problems, resorted to the former Leitz Canada. The APO-Summicron-M 90 f / 2 aspherical was recomputed and produced initially in Midland with aspherical lenses grinded by sophisticated CNC machinery. "

I thank those who will give me more information.
Hi Mark

• Like 1

I have heard that story before. It seems Leica has, for reasons unknown to me, produced a prototype run of the Summicron 2/90 asph in Canada before series production started in Germany. No idea how many lenses were actually produced in Canada, but I'd be surprised if it were 500.

Cheers,

Andy

According of what I learned at the time of release of the 90/2 AA, the Canadian plant couldn't meet the tolerance requests needed for a consistent production of that lens.

Very few were made in Canada.

After the production swiftly moved to Solms, the internal attachment of some glass had to be modified to make sure it couldn't move.

My very early German 90/2AA had to be exchanged by Leica. It was impossible to adjust. It was nicknamed the Apo-Thambar.

It was said also that the very first German lenses were sold with boxes with Made in Canada printed on them.

Edited by Leicaiste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So the first Canadian prototype may have a rough positioning of the elements with an inevitable lesser sharpness, and in any case a different performance from the model produced in Solms. Is this true?

The Canadian's are more prone to have some misalignment and could be difficult or impossible to adjust.

But it is not totally impossible to find a good one.