I love my Leica IIIg

pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Perhaps this post might introiduce a new topic.

I've waited years to find a super clean IIIG. Finally got it in my older age. :)

Next I am looking at the Goldberg IIIG converted to M-mount!

Also a Leicavit for it.

Edited by pico

I love my IIIg too...   :)

PS - but does a IIIg thread qualify for the M-System section???

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 7

Every Leica photographer should really own one of these little gems...

Edited by A miller
  • Like 10

Every Leica photographer should really own one of these little gems...

It's a pity that the new Summaron 5.6-28mm isn't available in M39 screw mount.
I would appreciate a black one for my black painted IIIa syn.
And with modern glas and a better optical design there should be possible a widest aperture of f 4.0 without getting taller.

It's a pity that the new Summaron 5.6-28mm isn't available in M39 screw mount.
I would appreciate a black one for my black painted IIIa syn.
And with modern glas and a better optical design there should be possible a widest aperture of f 4.0 without getting taller.

I agree, you'd think Leica could have kept the screw mount and just thrown in an M adapter...

• Like 1

Absolutely gorgeous. But I'd post it in the Leica Collectors & Historica section rather then the M section, since the design is really a predecessor of the M line.

I guess it depends on how you interpret "predecessor." Indeed, the IIIg evolved from the LTM line of Leica bodies, but wasn't introduced until 1957, 3 years after the M3. It incorporated some M-like features, such as the 50 and 90mm frame lines. Wilhelm Stein, the principle designer of the M-Series, along with Adam Wagner and Friedrich Gath designed the IIIg, so in some ways it can be viewed as a sort of hybrid I suppose. Nevertheless, it still has a thread mount...

Lovely camera by the way!

• Like 1

Absolutely gorgeous. But I'd post it in the Leica Collectors & Historica section rather then the M section, since the design is really a predecessor of the M line.

It is interesting that the IIIg was manufactured along side the M3 for a while.

Edited by pico

Yes, the IIIg was introduced well after the M3, at the same time as the M2. The M3 was criticized for being larger than the traditional Leica, so perhaps they tested the waters for continuing the III series with the IIIg. I remember it was still in the US catalogs around 1960, shown after the pages on the M3 and M2. When I was considering a Leica in the later 1960s my Leica friend really praised the IIIg, but it took me about 50 more years to get one. Here's mine, with the 2.8 Elmar that was introduced at the same time as the IIIg.

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Like 6

Yes, the IIIg was introduced well after the M3, at the same time as the M2. The M3 was criticized for being larger than the traditional Leica, so perhaps they tested the waters for continuing the III series with the IIIg. I remember it was still in the US catalogs around 1960, shown after the pages on the M3 and M2. When I was considering a Leica in the later 1960s my Leica friend really praised the IIIg, but it took me about 50 more years to get one. Here's mine, with the 2.8 Elmar that was introduced at the same time as the IIIg.

attachicon.gifIIIg 2.8 Elmar.jpg

Very nice but that case has to go!! Liberate yourself!!
  • Like 1

Very nice but that case has to go!! Liberate yourself!!

Why?  When out & about my IIIg is generally nestling comfortably in a Mr Zhou half-case (which also has a thumb grip on the rear).  Provides protection whilst aiding handling.

• Like 2

Why? When out & about my IIIg is generally nestling comfortably in a Mr Zhou half-case (which also has a thumb grip on the rear). Provides protection whilst aiding handling.

Keith - horses for courses but in my humble opinion the case is totally unnecessary unless one is a total klutz. The sensory experience of touching the beautiful camera directly with one's own skin as well as experiencing this significant compactness of the camera body our experiences that are lost with a case. To me it is just not worth the squeeze Again just my opinion

I try not to wear a condom when I don't have to

Edited by A miller

In buying a lot of old cameras over the years I've noted that the ones that lived in cases are generally more pristine, with fewer tiny wear marks and dings, just as lenses that have always had filters have fewer front scratches. I try to care for my tools, and so tend to keep covers on them when possible. But the point is noted that the small size is a tactile pleasure without a case.

The IIIG is an M because M stands for Messsucher, rangefinder.

My IIIG included a Leicavit. It works perfectly. Not a sign of use of the camera  (big deal?) Besides Leicavits I use Rapid Winders, invented by our late Tom Abrahamsson on all my Leicas, and an almost adequate replacement for late model Leica film cameras is Leica's motor winds. I own them all. There is not one advance lever used on any of my Leicas.

The tiny rangefinder window of the IIIG works better for me than any later M because it includes a variable diopter. I can NAIL focus now. Why do not modern Leica include the same? (Answer - they delayed for decades and think the electronic visoflex is adequate. It is not.)

Edited by pico
  • Like 3