Lens flare from 21 SEM Lens Hood

Ken Abrahams

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed previously, most things have in my experience of the site. I discovered an unusual lens flare while performing longer exposures in strong ambient light. Finding the cause of the problem took a good deal of experimentation. After checking ND filters and and trying  with and without the filter wasn't really possible but next I tested with and without the hood and even took the SL remote cord out and closed the seal to check for leaks.

In the end I placed lens cleaning cloth over small viewing hole in 21 mm lens hood (which allows use on rangefinder cameras) and viola!   

Problem solved. next time I will have some gaffer tape in the bag. Unless that is, a different metal screw on lens hood is available for the 21 SEM for use on the SL?

ken 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Kendoo
  • Like 3

I agree with Neil....the SEM should be razor sharp across a majority of the frame.  Was this a long exposure with some movement in the trees?  something does not look right.

Are you sure its lens flare..........On the top of the right hand bush its all messed up, doesn't look like lens flare to me??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Crikey, you could be right about the ND filter creating the flare but the cut out as you say is still making the flare. Trust me its lens flare or some kind of glare acting on the lens/filter and not something else.  The lens wasn't directed towards the light as the sun was behind me. Sure the longer exposure created movement in trees but over two different scenes and days the very noticeable flare patch in the same area of the image occurred. I don't have to explain why I was using an ND filter thank you very much Jared. The only thing I could do to stop this flare was place my lens cleaning cloth over the viewing hole in the 21 SEM lens hood. I was ably to fasten the lens cloth to the hood using a hair band. I keep a hair band in my kit for when using the Leica MM camera (ccd) because it leaks light around the lens mount when using longer exposures in ambient light conditions.

ken 

Edited by Kendoo

Exposure took sixty seconds. The bush moved, presumably because it was windy.

I cant believe these comments which are presuming that I must be somewhat dense or incapable of detecting an issue? Its only "movement". I remember a time when as a young teenager holidaying on the coast and lunching at Philip Island Yacht club. I mentioned to a family friend that his boat was drifting out to sea. He said don't worry about it its all anchored down. I repeated myself a few minutes later and my advice effectively dismissed again. All he had to do was look out the widow to see it for real!  Well you should have seen the look on his face when he saw his boat a few kilometres out to sea. His son swam in shark infested waters to retrieve it. Anyway I don't like some of these responses about the lens hood and I probably won't post on the forum again and well noting these condescending replies. Ken  

Edited by Kendoo
  • Like 1

I cant believe these comments which are presuming that I must be somewhat dense 

If you take the trouble and look at the context of my remark again: one member said the bush looked funny. I pointed out that it was motion blur. Nothing to do with you.

Crikey, you could be right about the ND filter creating the flare but the cut out as you say is still making the flare. Trust me its lens flare or some kind of glare acting on the lens/filter and not something else.  The lens wasn't directed towards the light as the sun was behind me. Sure the longer exposure created movement in trees but over two different scenes and days the very noticeable flare patch in the same area of the image occurred. I don't have to explain why I was using an ND filter thank you very much Jared. The only thing I could do to stop this flare was place my lens cleaning cloth over the viewing hole in the 21 SEM lens hood. I was ably to fasten the lens cloth to the hood using a hair band. I keep a hair band in my kit for when using the Leica MM camera (ccd) because it leaks light around the lens mount when using longer exposures in ambient light conditions.

ken 

I think you may have misunderstood me.  I wasn't asking WHY you were using an ND filter--that's your decision.  I was asking WHAT ND filter you were using.  I'm not understanding how light coming in through the cutout is causing the flare.  It must be reflecting back into the lens, but off of what?  If the ND filter is sticking out in front of the lens hood, then that would make sense, but if the ND filter is INSIDE the lens hood, I'm unclear what the path is for the reflection.  

Honestly jus trying to understand the path the light is taking.

- Jared