Does the lack of QC in Leica lenses bother you?

myk7000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys,

I am a lucky owner of the 35mm 1.4 FLE summilux, a 50 ASPH summilux, and 21mm Super Elmar. I've also owned a couple other leica lenses and have handled many, many more.

I've noticed that almost every Leica lens I have ever handled seems to be a bit different from others. The aperture clicks vary widely in terms of how smooth they turn, or how easy it is to click into place. The focus rings are also all very different. For example, my 50mm summilux is super smooth in focus, but it takes way less pressure to get it moving than the 35mm FLE, which is much stiffer. My 35mm also has that problem with noise when you shake it... argh! 

Usually these differences in aperture and focus rings don't bother me (since the images come out fine) but every now and again I toy with the idea of paying to  tighten up my 50mm, or getting the aperture ring to be a bit tighter on the 21mm sem via a send-in. Curious to hear everyone else's thoughts on how bothered they are with the differences between their lenses.

Or perhaps I've been incredibly unlucky in that all three of my lenses are different in their focus and aperture resistances. Or maybe you guys have the same issue but never put a second thought to them and enjoy the difference in character between all these lenses. Thoughts?

Short answer. No it doesn't bother me.

I have a used and well loved 28mm Summicron

A new 50mm Summilux

A new 90mm APO-Summicron

Yes they are all different in feel. The 28mm feels kind of crisp and broken in. The resistance is minimal but the stops click in. Focus Is light and smooth

The 90mm APO-Summicron has only been used lightly and has a tight feel for both the aperture and focus. However the motion is super smooth there are no catches just a heavier resistance that will take years to go away.

My 50mm is new because my old 50 got stolen. I bought it used but my impression was that it was lightly used and I did my best to break it in. However it was a very long way from my 28mm Summicron.

The point is: for me, Leica lenses feel like baseball gloves, they break in over time with use and because each one is different mechanically and you are moving different chunks of glass in different ways, it isn't terribly surprising that they feel differently. So I don't blame bad QC. I kind of like it it; it doesn't feel synthetic to me; it feels real and mechanical.

All of my lenses, whether purchased new or used, have all focused superbly on my cameras.

My M240 needed some adjustments... the M7 and M10 both were good from the start. All five of my lenses are all spot on as far as I can tell.

Do they feel different? Well, honestly it never crossed my mind. None of them feel wrong. The end product works.

• Like 1

My 35 FLE rattles and yes, it bothers me. The aperture ring was so loose that many times the aperture setting changed accidentally. I sent the lens to Wetzlar and they fixed the aperture ring but the lens keeps on rattling. The focus ring is buttery smooth though. Nevertheless the images taken with this lens are nothing but impressive.

My 50 APO had a focus ring problem. When turning the ring I felt kind of scratching inside. I sent it to Wetzlar and the lens came back in perfect shape. The focus ring is much stiffer than the 35 FLE one. In Wetzlar told me this is normal and due to the internal design of the lens.

My 90APO is OK from the beginning and the focus ring smoothness is kind of in between of my two other lenses.

In summary, even though Im very happy with my Leica equipment, I would like they pay more attention to QC. Their customer service is fantastic though.

Edited by Neko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes sample variation is also a problem at Leica's. I noticed it with my M4-2 and a couple of lenses in the eighties and things did not improve significantly since then. Good examples are lenses with floating elements. Some are stiff to focus, others not. Doesn't depend on the model of the lens in my experience, only on QC. Dealers or reviewers stating that stiffness is normal with FLE lenses do not know their job. My 50/1.4 asph was stiff and it took me several months to get it fixed by Leica. It is now butter smooth as it should have been since day one. My 50/2 apo and 35/1.4 FLE are OK but not my 75/2 that i'll have to send in if i find the courage to waste several months again.

• Like 1

The more complex a product is, and the more variations, there is a greater likelihood of issues. Leica also holds mechanical clearances and tolerances tighter than most (if not all) lens manufacturers, for their goal of optical performance. Perhaps they also don't consider variations in focus feel or noises not related to photographic function to be quality issues. It would never occur to me to shake a lens; perhaps not to them either.

However, I agree there have been quality issues with some percentage of their items, and it could (and should) be improved. But many Leica buyers expect perfection, which will never happen.

I also had similar problem with focus stiff on my APO75 (additionally lens was relatively loud in near focus distance). After return form Wetzlar service few months ago everything is ok. Stiff focus was also in my Lux 50asph and - lesser - in Cron 35asph (all my lenses I was buying as new). QC by Leica definitely should be improved.

IMHO, focus scale also should be better fit (and I know, is only a esthetical matter...):

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/262199-apo-75-focus-tab-scale-question/

It would never occur to me to shake a lens; perhaps not to them either.

You can hear the noise with the normal mouvement of the camera.

You can hear the noise with the normal movement of the camera. After speaking with Leica I know the noise is not related with any fault of the lens. Anyway the first time you hear it is very concerning.

All lenses are different, and I wouldn't expect each one to feel exactly like ite brethren. Although there certainly may occasionally be QC issues, I think more often it is a case of expecting 100% consistency in the feeling of a new product when we're used to the feel of one which has been "broken in", at least that has been my experience.

All lenses are different, and I wouldn't expect each one to feel exactly like ite brethren. Although there certainly may occasionally be QC issues, I think more often it is a case of expecting 100% consistency in the feeling of a new product when we're used to the feel of one which has been "broken in", at least that has been my experience.

Agreed. I bought a new v5 Summicron a few years ago that was a bit stiff with a catch or two in focusing, quite unlike my older Leica lenses. But I just kept using it, and now it's focus is light and perfectly smooth. It just needed breaking in.

Copy variation is the most important. That's what QC generally refers to. The v2 28 Cron has obviously had some. You hear about it with the 50 APO also.

The OP does have a point. My 75 and 90 summarit are identical in build and handling. 28 cron is very light to focus. 21 SEM is more stiff. My older leica lenses are each a bit different: 50 cron v4, 90 TE are pretty close, but TE is ring focus, so that is another feel. 75 Lux and 135/2.8 are near identical in build and their long focus travel.

Aperture rings vary a bit.

Oh well ;)

Edited by uhoh7

Lack of QC? I see a fair amount of variation, but all within a band of high performance. It takes QA and QC alike to get there, especially given how much use some of these lenses have seen.

Lack of perfection? Let me just say that I'm glad my Summilux-M didn't cost the same as a Summilux-C.

Cheers,

Jon

I think it's always a good idea to buy lenses from a shop versus ordering online. This way you can check focus accuracy and any mechanical issues. Comparing a couple of copies might be quite revealing. My experience is that all lens manufacturers have copy variations.

• Like 2