M10 Thumbies

Leicauser7

I've heard someplace (I don't recall where) that the Leica one sort of slides in and out and isn't really fixed in place like the 3rd party one. Is that right? Thx

I went to the Leica store in Los Angeles and played with the m10. The Leica thumb grip falls out much too easily. It does not have an ergonomic tilt. Rather, it is straight up and down and not as comfortable at the Match Technical is on the m240. The Leica Ambassador told me that the thumb grip falls out too easily because people kept taking it off and on. I take issue with that because the slides on the grip were fully painted, not rubbed off.

I went to the Leica store in Los Angeles and played with the m10. The Leica thumb grip falls out much too easily. It does not have an ergonomic tilt. Rather, it is straight up and down and not as comfortable at the Match Technical is on the m240. The Leica Ambassador told me that the thumb grip falls out too easily because people kept taking it off and on. I take issue with that because the slides on the grip were fully painted, not rubbed off.

Ah Ha!! That's what I had read elsewhere! That the Leica one does not perform well, slides out. Thank you for confirming! So in this case I will certainly be getting the one from match. Certainty does not look as nice but function over form!!! Thank you for confirming this. Its bizarre that the Leica one has such an obvious problem. Too bad, why don't they just add a set screw to secure it, which is what the design should have involved in the first place?

Ah Ha!! That's what I had read elsewhere! That the Leica one does not perform well, slides out. Thank you for confirming! So in this case I will certainly be getting the one from match. Certainty does not look as nice but function over form!!! Thank you for confirming this. Its bizarre that the Leica one has such an obvious problem. Too bad, why don't they just add a set screw to secure it, which is what the design should have involved in the first place?

Just thinking out loud - there is a chance that the Leica dealer's Thumb Unit might have been an early "pre-production" piece and the production unit or hot-shoe might be adjusted... I have 1 on order and planning to test it when the camera arrives.

If it is a loose fit, then there are still other options, but I am going buy it to try it before I give up on it.

As far as i know, no one has reported using 1 yet outside of a Dealer's store.

If anyone has 1 installed on their M-10, please give us a real-world report.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I tried one at Leica. Fit very well. I would have gladly bought it but it was black. I need silver. It fit very tight. Tighter than the thumbs up 1 by Match for the Q

Good info, thanks for the report. There is also a chance that the reported Thumb unit and Camera tried at the LA store might have both been at the limits of their production "tolerances" and just not a good fit for each other.

More will be known once the cameras start hitting the street.

the two metal spring clips in the flash hotshoe flatten over time with repeated use so that even an optical viewfinder would slip out easily if not readjusted. carefully edging a small flat-nosed screwdriver underneath each flattened spring increases the tension again. with this in mind & personal experience of this issue, i think the Leica guy was being honest.

• Like 1

I had the pleasure of visiting the Leica Store LA on Friday and bought the thumb grip. It fits in -- and stays in -- the hot shoe perfectly. I like how it stays in when I need it to stay and comes out easily when I want to use the EVF.

It struck me that Leica offering this is to the Thumbs Up as Apple building a flashlight into the iPhone was to the makers of flashlight apps -- an unhappy event for the third parties, and as a Thumbs Up user I'm sorry about that, but a benefit to the user. The company-made product has advantages.

After using it during the worst storm the LA area has faced in years, I can report it seems as weather sealed as the hotshoe cover that comes with the camera. And after three days of use, I can't imagine ever not having it. It is a great piece if engineering.

Now, let's see the extra batteries...

• 2 weeks later...