M10 Thumbies

Leicauser7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had a chance to compare the two available (well, not really) options, Leica and 3rd Party?  I'm wondering which one folks prefer.  The Leica one looks a little cleaner to me though the other looks more ergonomic.

Also, does anyone have any idea where (or when) either may be available in silver?

Thanks.

• Like 1

The Leica thumb is just like the old thumbs up for the M240. Slips in and stays.

The Leica SL thumbs up had the screw. I don't like the screw because you need a key to take it so if you want the visoflex or flash on the M10, it's a PITA to remove.

My experience with the earlier Thumbs Up units with No set-screw is that they DO stay in place, not a problem at all and Tim makes really great things and I like the 2 that I have.

What I like about the new Leica M-10 unit is that it sits flush with the top of the camera, (like Tim's older units) and I feel it looks a bit more "integrated" to my eye.

This is purely an aesthetic preference, it wouldn't stop me from buying the Match Technical version, but i did order the Leica unit to try it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I agree the Leica unit looks better --also the two black set screws (if that's what I'm seeing) look awful on the silver version. Has the silver version been available anywhere yet, i.e., Europe?

I have heard the Match version is coming out in 3 - 4 weeks.

The set screw is on Top only, what you are seeing on the back is where a black rubber pad attaches, there is a hole on the back where the rubber slightly protrudes from the inner side.

Edited by roverover

Is that definitely what the Match version will look like? Bummer if that's the case as I love my current one for the 240 which sits flush.

yes, that is the images of the coming Thumbs Up M-10 units and here are a few more images.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by roverover

I like the ergonomics of the Match design, but quite simply it looks hideous. The Leica version is so much more minimalist and just blends in like a natural part of the camera. I'll probably end up with the Leica version. I just can't see spending that much on a beautifully designed camera and then ruining the esthetic with an add-on.