Level coming back in FW update...

digitalfx

I think it makes sense. The camera obviously has some sensor since it can detect portrait v. landscape and bake that into the files.

The chips to accomplish this are tiny: here's an example datasheet for something that would do the job: http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/datasheet/group0/72/cb/80/a7/5e/fe/46/9d/DM00153214/files/DM00153214.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00153214.pdf

It's all of 4mm^3 -- 2mm x 2mm x 1mm. I wasn't even looking for small ones, this is literally the first on a search at DigiKey.

I can't imagine a physical switch being much smaller than that. A cursory search confirms that.

Hi there

I really don't think so - I've checked up on this and I don't think the hardware is available

Can I bet on mysel? :)

I checked too... the hardware is available but only from Leica Geosystems.

This small device will be glued on top of hot shoe. The advantage over M240 is tremendous. You can see ALL settings, including level by looking down on the camera. :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Size-28-5-8mm-Alloy-metal-shall-Semicircle-Level-bubble-Liquid-level-Indicator-for-Total-Station/1960842_32552112578.html

:D :D

I dug into the FW and found the code...I was able to get it working...see attached.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

I wrote Leica Customer Care on Jan 29 expressing my dismay about the missing level.  I got the following reply on Feb 8, and sent the info to Leica Rumors.  They posted the "rumor" the same day.  Does this qualify as insider information?

First I would like to apologize to you for the late reply.

Due to the high level of many email inquiries we are here slightly in the delay with the answer.

Be assured that we always try to answer promptly.

I would like to thank you for your suggestions and criticism at the Leica M10.

The missing horizon/level tool is in process and is integrated with one of the next firmware updates.

If you have further questions do not hesitate to contact me again.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards 

Peter Brieger 
Leica Camera AG 
Customer Care 

Produkt Support

Edited by dempski
  • Like 8

I wrote Leica Customer Care on Jan 29 expressing my dismay about the missing level.  I got the following reply on Feb 8, and sent the info to Leica Rumors.  They posted the "rumor" the same day.  Does this qualify as insider information?

Hmmmm - thanks for this Demski - I'm pursuing further enquirers, mixed messages from the mother-ship!

I'll come back here later on if I discover more (it'll be after the weekend now).

Best

• Like 1

That sounds good. Leica seems to listen to what we owners want and express.

All the best.

BTW: I really love the M10 but decided I won't get rid of the M (Typ 240), it is very useful to have two cameras with two different lenses on them. I never had this comfort before but really like it.

Hmmmm - thanks for this Demski - I'm pursuing further enquirers, mixed messages from the mother-ship!

I'll come back here later on if I discover more (it'll be after the weekend now).

Best

Thanks, Jono. I tried to light a fire under my preferred vendor to use his contacts at Leica to find out, but can't seem to get him motivated. I've drawn a line in the sand over the electronic level, and don't plan to upgrade if there is no chance of it being included.  If I remember right, Leica gave us the level on the M240 by a firmware update quite some time after launch.  Keep us posted.

My letter to Leica was a bit more complex than their answer.  I expressed concern that the omission may be taken as a signal of Leica's retreat from support for wide-angle photography on the M platform.  I believe people are being so strident about which features make it and which don't because they fear that with Leica's new ability to differentiate product lines, they may be shunted to the SL as has happened to video, or to an as-yet undisclosed new product.  I've invested a fortune in wide-angle lenses for the M platform and don't want to hear there is a limited future for them on future M's.

By the way, your reviews sold me on the SL and the 28 Lux.  I especially appreciated your use of R and M lenses on the SL, in addition to the zoom.  I don't know whether to thank you or send your name to my financial advisor for further comment.  In either case, your photos are inspiring.

Edited by dempski
  • Like 3

First I would like to apologize to you for the late reply.

Due to the high level of many email inquiries we are here slightly in the delay with the answer.

Be assured that we always try to answer promptly.

I would like to thank you for your suggestions and criticism at the Leica M10.

The missing horizon/level tool is in process and is integrated with one of the next firmware updates.

If you have further questions do not hesitate to contact me again.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards 

Peter Brieger 

Leica Camera AG 

Customer Care 

Produkt Support

I am very pleased to hear that, as the digital level on my Safari M-P is one of my favorite features - it is a great help when shooting with the camera mounted on a tripod.  Now, back to figuring out a way to afford an M10 (without trading away my Safari kit)...

Edited by Carlos Danger

Software takes time. My boss wishes it didn't. But then I wouldn't have a job to pay for our cool toys.

Specing what it should do, design, coding, testing the feature, integration testing to make sure nothing else broke.

Or you could just delay the entire camera to wait for it.  ;-)

• Like 3