What company is producing the Leica UVa II Filters for Leica-Camera?

Lins-Barroso

Don't know.  I've heard one of Leica's (sales)  employees say that they make them themselves, claiming that they saw it with their own eyes.

I was looking for a Series 7 UVa II recently.  Leica sells them at 3 times the price of the B+W equivalent.  A second hand UVa is less than half the price of the B+W, so I'm using that, without apparent problem, although it is only coated on one side, I think, and so less suited for digital bodies.  I may go for a B+W in due course, but they are hard to get in that size.

• Like 1

There is no discussion that the Leica filters (marked Version II) are made in Japan - this is clearly said on the filters. So how a salesman can say he has seen them being made by Leica, escapes me. I have heard that they are made by Marumi in Japan, but I don`t know for sure. A dealer in Japan told me that Marumi makes filters for others, but getting confirmation as to for whom is impossible.

The top brand of Marumi - Exus - appear to be of the highest quality and I use these on two SL lenses. I see no reason for paying 3 times as much for the same filter with a different name.

B + W is in any case a good choice and not difficult to find in S7 og S8.

Edited by Ivar B
  • Like 1