Noctilux f1 or 0.95?

Mikewest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yap, I had both.

In the end, I sold the F1 to fund the 0,95 and then sold the 0.95 because I was out of Leicaland.

Now, I'm back into Leica and in the **slow** process of getting some lenses... Noctilux is not really on the list, but if money is no object, I'd buy the 1.0 version in a heartbeat. 0.95 ? not really. 

on 1.4 and up is as good as a lux asph 50mm. below that is sharp ( noctilux wise ), much sharper than the 1.0. but ZERO character. the 1.0 ? has loads of that. not much sharpness, but boy, does it has character.

• 1 year later...

Hello folks.. I just would like to know whether I could get more impressive DOF with the Noctilux f1 than Summilux 75mm f1.4. I already have Lux75, and plan to buy the Noctilux f1.. But I can't decide.. I checked these lenses depth of field indexes; Lux75 produces thinner/narrower band of depth of field, at their minimum focusing distances. I just would like to know whether I get more impressive DOF with the Noctilux f1 at its mimimum distance at 1m or not... I couldn't find any compreative reviews, or, photographs on the net.. If you have both lens your comparative photographs will be greatly appreciated. Cheers..

@ Metin Colak:

I have both, because I love the "Mandler-look" and I couldn't decide which I preferred. Time will show if I keep them both. 

The word "best" is always an individual opinion. I think the best thing you can do is to search up 1000 of the most interesting pictures on Flickr taken with each of these lenses, and study the OOF rendering in full size, together with some of the EXIF info. Then you might be able to make your own opinion.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 3

I have the f1 v3 and it's a keeper for sure. I've tried the 0.95 and wasn't drawn to it. Agree with those that say 0.95 is very modern, sharp and clinical like 50Lux and the f1 has a very unique character. The size and physical handling differences between the two are very obvious to me. Because of my f1, I sold my 50lux even and got a tiny 50 elmar-m as a complement 50 to the f1. Suggest you try the f1 for some time to see if you like the way it draws at different apertures and you might find its versatility even at smaller apertures can work for all round shooting.

• Like 2

@ Metin Colak:

I have both, because I love the "Mandler-look" and I couldn't decide which I preferred. Time will show if I keep them both. 

The word "best" is always an individual opinion. I think the best thing you can do is to search up 1000 of the most interesting pictures on Flickr taken with each of these lenses, and study the OOF rendering in full size, together with some of the EXIF info. Then you might be able to make your own opinion.

Dear Evikne,

Thank you for your comment.. I saw a lot of photos on flickr taken with the Noctilux f1. I own Summilux 75 which is really an amazing lens, it exhibits 'Mandler look', escpecially at f1.4. I just would like to know is there any noticible difference between these two lenses at their minimum f stops and minimum focusing distance. I always work with the f1.4 on my Summilux 75.. If I buy it I will use it at f1 mostly. So I just try to justify the price for me.. Maybe it would be better to own both like you.. Thank you for your helpful comment once again...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Late to respond here.

Noctilux-M 1.0/50 OR Summilux-M 1.4/75mm are complementary each other.

(this was I believed for long)

I use them along from my film day (remember Kodachrome ?) and appreciate them on sensor, but...

But things change with time.

I now try to get compromise happily :p with one and only lens that I use for long also (longer than the two "Noct 50/ Lux 75" ).

That one "type" is the Summilux-M 50mm pre-asph. (version II and III ) that I use with different flavors (Silver Chrome, Titanium, Black anodised to choose from ;)).

Summilux 50 asph. (nice to have/use) sold some years ago, not in my taste (for what I produce for myself ).

• Like 2

I purchased a mint, but used, Noctilux 50mm 0.95 a month ago from Ken Hansen. I also own the Summilux 50mm which is my go to 50mm.

I think that every M shooter should own a Noctilux at least once in their life. Now, I have mine.

Regards,

Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a f1 v2 and it is really sharp and focuses spot-on. My favourite lens, no contest. It is my second f1, the previous one was soft and a nightmare to focus, probably needed a service and adjustment, but I lost faith in it. I think they may also just vary from copy to copy, and you need to hope to luck out on a good one. 

I have recently acquired a f1 v2, it was badly out of adjustment. Many thanks to the forum member Boojay who recomended that I take the lens to Malcom Taylor. He has fixed the problems and the lens is now working well.

The lens was in a mint condition, the problem was that it had probably been sitting in a box or a display cabinet and the grease had gravitated to the bottom thus affecting the focus. On my example it was so out from the factory setting at 1metre,10 metres and infinity he suspected that it had been poorly assembled in the first place. This he says is not uncommon, he has also found differences in the assembly of the same type of lens and has had to reassemble the lens using some of his own parts. Whether this is down to the individual assembling the lens or the availability or difference in the  manufacture of certain parts at the time.

He did say that he has had to adjust the focus on more Canadian assembled lenses than Germany but he can't put his finger on why. He is a most fascinating man with a great knowledge and experience of Leica cameras and lenses.

I have just acquired a 75mm f1.4 summilux, Canada, this lens was in a good condition but had definitely been used, I took it to Malcom Taylor when I collected the Noctilux, he has tested it and it is slightly out of adjustment which will probably be corrected by a clean and lubrication. I also gave him my M4 to service, straight away he had noticed that it had been serviced by someone before and that they had replaced a seal in the viewfinder incorrectly, the problem too he said is that well meaning people have a go at servicing or repairing Leica equipment without being "factory trained" and can often make a problem worse.

I am looking forward to comparing the f1 Noctilux with the 75 Lux.

• Like 2