One month in Europe - Leica X 113 or M8?

leicadude

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having owned both, the M8 delivers more beautiful files than the X113, with more character. I use mine filter-less.

You won't regret using one, there are many M8 lovers around who can give you some useful advice. :)

Thanks. That is good to hear. What about the maintenance? I've read that it may not be easy to get one fixed anymore. Is that true? I should probably hop over to the M8 forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a lot depends on your preferred focal length. On my last trip to Europe I used an M9 with a 2/35 Summicron plus a 2.8/24 Elmarit for tight spaces. (previous trip I also took a 50 and a 90). The 35 is an excellent all-round travel lens, IMO. I'd stick with your X! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. That is good to hear. What about the maintenance? I've read that it may not be easy to get one fixed anymore. Is that true? I should probably hop over to the M8 forum.

Leica services the M8. The LCD screen assembly has not been available for quite a long time already. If you put a brick through the screen or it just stops working, you are then sadly out of luck. Leica however offers upgrades that I hear are reasonable.

My M8 is going strong. If 10MP is enough for your needs, I would not hesitate getting one.

• Like 1

If you want to step over to M I would definitely go for the M10 indeed, as said earlier. But I take it you don't have any lenses yet, so that's quite an investment before summer. Starting with an M8 now is however a risk and you will probably want a full-format in the end, which would mean a waste of money and much ado with the filters in the mean time.

Because you are used to shooting with one focal length though, the M10 with a 35Summicron as a starting point could be an option. My personal experience is that my Summicron 35 pre-asph, which can be found for about €1200, is as new again for me on the M10.

The M6 is a totally different choice, for film, which cannot be compared to the step from an X to a digital M. You say you want to bring one main camera. That would be a lot: from X to M and from digital to analogue in one jump. And if this is your first trip to Europe and you value your photography from that trip, poohh!

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Ieicadude .......Have you taken you trip yet? .......What equipment did you decide to take?

How was the experience with your choice?

Leaving in August! :) I will stick with the X113. Just bought the handgrip and I am shopping for a good price on the Visoflex 020. 

• Like 2

Leaving in August! :) I will stick with the X113. Just bought the handgrip and I am shopping for a good price on the Visoflex 020.

A spare batt might be a good idea as well. I use my X2 quite a bit when I travel, and sometimes the batt seems to go from 50% to zero quite quickly. Also, if it's hanging off my neck, I've found it's a good idea to shut the camera off when not shooting. With all that bouncing around on my chest, the menu/ISO/WB settings are easily deranged.

• Like 2

A spare batt might be a good idea as well. I use my X2 quite a bit when I travel, and sometimes the batt seems to go from 50% to zero quite quickly. Also, if it's hanging off my neck, I've found it's a good idea to shut the camera off when not shooting. With all that bouncing around on my chest, the menu/ISO/WB settings are easily deranged.

Thanks for the tip!