Time for New "Q"

M,

Something to consider: I just acquired the SL 601 and use it with a Zeiss planar 50mm f2.  It is exceptional!  (And, I've tried the Leica 50 1.4, which I like very much).

Focus peaking makes MF a breeze.

I'm going to add a 28mm or 35 mm, and then perhaps consider selling the Q. 

The 24-90 zoom is absolutely superb but quite bulky and heavy and were it otherwise I'd  use it when traveling.

I traded all of my T items and lenses, but might even reacquire some of the lens - for compactness. (10 mp is more than enough for 95% of the time, but it's still a psychological hurdle at the moment!)

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Well a Q 50 lux + the Q 28 lux with weather sealing and tilting screen and I could almost sell all my other gear and just operate with the 2 cameras

and that's probably something Leica does not want you to do ;)  

• Like 1

While I love the Q I wouldn't invest in a "Q line" of products (say 28, 35, 50) because it would mean that at some point in the future all that expensive equipment will hit the trash.

The Q is a special case to me, a fantastic street/landscape camera that I hope to use and keep some years. But I know that in 8-10 years its value in the resell market will be very low and its a lot of money lost. I wouldn't lose that money on 3 cameras.

That's why if I feel the need to get a 50 someday, I'll purchase a used M and as used 50. When the body hits the trash, the lens (or lenses) stay.

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 2

Noise level in the M10 is not strikingly better, just *slightly* better if any.

http://www.pictchallenge-archives.net/TESTNUM/LeicaM10_1.html  (French but you can compare ISOs at end of page)

I've found and downloaded a couple of "night" DNGs with zero banding; to me although the case of really dark pics at night happens not so often, this is striking... it eliminates the need for ambitious filtering... But I recognize I'd not switch instantly for this feature alone.

• Like 1

My Q continues to be my primary travel camera. 28mm is perfect for travel.  My full frame Canon gear and "L" glass carry the load for everything else.

I tried the M240, did not like rangefinder focusing.  My Q has better manual focus IMHO.

I tried the SL and did not like the size and interface.  It is bigger than my Canon FF!  My Q has a far better interface.

Both trials were done with M lenses.  Now I am hooked.  Small lenses with perfect optical image quality.

The simplicity of the Q brings out the real photographer in me.

The solution is very simple for me: The next Q should be a QL -- the Q body with a SL mount for M lenses.

I am convinced that the Q is the best camera for my requirements.  I am also convinced that M glass has the finest optical quality.

• Like 2

While I love the Q I wouldn't invest in a "Q line" of products (say 28, 35, 50) because it would mean that at some point in the future all that expensive equipment will hit the trash.

The Q is a special case to me, a fantastic street/landscape camera that I hope to use and keep some years. But I know that in 8-10 years its value in the resell market will be very low and its a lot of money lost. I wouldn't lose that money on 3 cameras.

That's why if I feel the need to get a 50 someday, I'll purchase a used M and as used 50. When the body hits the trash, the lens (or lenses) stay.

Well I think in this day and age, anything digital will will has lost quite a bit of resale value due to the advancement of technology. You just have to consider what your enjoyment is worth in the meantime. While everyone has to live within a realistic budget, you can't expect a return on your money when it comes to digital devices. Computers, cellphones, tv's, cameras. At some point, they all become outdated and obsolete. If we stick to your timeframe of ten years, thats basically a dollar a day if you were to buy a Q on the used market. Not a bad deal if you get enjoyment and create memories with it! 

• Like 2

My solution for this is is the Q plus the fuji XT-2 and 35/1.4 (50 eqivelant) lens. The fuji is excellent and I love the rendering of the 35/1.4 lens. The XT-2 doesn't have the smoothness of the Q at high iso but all the same  the files are very clean. For my event and landscape work I use the Sony A7rII

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

I just can't live with the fixed 28mm lens unfortunately , but having looked around I just end up with a used M240 and a selection of lens, or a Sony Alpha 2!!!!!!!.

What I'd love though is a QL! with a Vario lens and the M10s sensor, although the sensor isn't of that great importance to me. I love the camera, and think it's the Leica bargain of the century with that lens but what else can I do?

HELP

My SL Covers: 15,21,50 and 90mm.   I was going back and forth deciding if I should go with the 28lux or Cron on my SL or the Q,  I went with the Q for a few reasons, (1) Q lighter to carry, (2) I get AF, OIS and Macro capability at 28mm which can be useful, (3) the 28mm M lenses are just too small on the SL for me, not the greatest balance and ergonomics.  

I now have a LNIB 35mm FLE which is no longer being used as much and available for sale if you are interested.

M,

Something to consider: I just acquired the SL 601 and use it with a Zeiss planar 50mm f2.  It is exceptional!  (And, I've tried the Leica 50 1.4, which I like very much).

Focus peaking makes MF a breeze.

I'm going to add a 28mm or 35 mm, and then perhaps consider selling the Q. 

The 24-90 zoom is absolutely superb but quite bulky and heavy and were it otherwise I'd  use it when traveling.

I traded all of my T items and lenses, but might even reacquire some of the lens - for compactness. (10 mp is more than enough for 95% of the time, but it's still a psychological hurdle at the moment!)

Rob

Edited by MT0227