35 Summilux Asph. Vs. Asph-FLE

Leicauser7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I happen to have an example of the pre-FLE version of this lens that exhibits no noticeable focus shift.  So, strictly putting that issue aside, I am wondering whether the new (FLE) version would deliver meaningful improved performance or not.  I'm particularly interested in perceived sharpness at closer focusing distances.  I realize there have been many reviews of the newish FLE lens, but I haven't seen the comparison discussed extensively from this perspective and would appreciate any thoughts.  Thank You.

I happen to have an example of the pre-FLE version of this lens that exhibits no noticeable focus shift.  ....

Please be aware that fokusshift is caused by the lenses optical design, it does not - really not - depend of different lens mounts or any other reasons which are not in the glass. So if fokushift does not bother you, the FLE will not bring so much advance. 

Perhaps I'll try to compare both versions on short distance once. Though at the moment I can only use the M9 for this, perhaps the better resolution of the M10 sensor is more revealing in this respect. So I'd rather wait some time until it's there. 

Well, all I can say is I have performed extensive focus shift testing on 7 lenses and without getting into the details of my methodology, I am confident in my results, which correlate directly with my experience in using the lenses.  The ones that I identified as presenting issues all went to DAG who confirmed my findings in each case.   In the case of my 35mm lux asph., there is present very slight back focus on 2.0 snd 2.8, but so small as to be insignificant; otherwise it is dead on.  (In fact, my relatively little used 50mm current production summilux demonstrates significantly greater focus issues (albeit its not really a shift but rather back focus across the range) and will need to go out to DAG one of these days... )

In use the improved corner sharpness of the FLE didn't mean too much to me, as the subject in my photos is rarely in the extreme corner of the frame.

I did marginally prefer the feel of the pre FLE in my hands.  The FLE feels somewhat fatter around the middle, and the aperture ring detentes in the one I handled weren't very firm.

Exactly as you say.

I meant that I saw better corner sharpness in the FLE until f/2.8, after which there was no discernable difference.

Well, I have a Pre-FLE - (in Chrome - some people believe the chrome versions have less focus shift).

I have tested a FLE vs my earlier version ASPH, and while the corner resolution is better on the FLE, i did not like the OOF image produced by the newer design.

The ASPH has a classic Leica 35 rendering, and coupled with a modern optical design - IMHO,  gives a wonderful "LOOK"  to images.....mine's going nowhere.

Note: The Pre-FLE was designed by Leica during the film era, and when people started using it with digital cameras, they noticed some focus shift.

Leica later revisited their lens alignment system for earlier lens designs for use with digital bodies.

My 35 Lux ASPH went to Leica for coding and in doing that they can optimise optical alignment for back focus......probably some back focus still, but better distributed between 1.4 and 2.8.

My Pre-ASPH is excellent.......and it's also "chrome"   :)   YMMV

Edited by 4X5B&W
  • Like 2

I happen to have an example of the pre-FLE version of this lens that exhibits no noticeable focus shift.  So, strictly putting that issue aside, I am wondering whether the new (FLE) version would deliver meaningful improved performance or not.  I'm particularly interested in perceived sharpness at closer focusing distances.  I realize there have been many reviews of the newish FLE lens, but I haven't seen the comparison discussed extensively from this perspective and would appreciate any thoughts.  Thank You.

How did you focus? Rangefinder or EVF?

TY for that:

Page 2 is really interesting. GP does a bunch of bokeh shots with both Luxes, and the ZM35/1.4

Great he did so many, as the first had me thinking: wow the pre-FLE really is nicer.

But after looking at all the sets, my original feeling seems confirmed. I see alot of FLE shots. I always thought the "not great bokeh" rap put on it by some did not ring true in what I was seeing. I don't own the lens, so not defending my property ;)

The ZM35/1.4 is meant by some to be better in Bokeh. I never notice this. In fact I admire the FLE alot, though I hear you have to watch the mid-frame focus carefully at speed.

Bokeh as most know is wildly variable by background and as GP shows just slight exposure differences also effect it. Of course we have some very edgy customers out there, which can be distracting, and some are 35s.

Anyway I'd love to see any more samples which anybody feels makes the case on the Bokeh front for either version. The M10 is certainly shooting the FLE really well, to my eye. I'd love a copy. Of both ;)

Prices are down alot also, so I may even afford one at some point. I was interested in the part about Leica updating the ASPH....to fix focus shift for digital? Jeez it's a worse issue by far if you are just shooting film. At least you can quickly learn the focus shift and compensate with a digital M.

I have to wonder, after the hullabalo from Lloyd about the 28 cron v2, when copy variation is playing a factor in comparing some of these copies.

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 2

To my eyes and taste, the asph is superior to the FLE. I love the asph, I kind of dislike the FLE.  Its not just the bokeh, its the feel and rendering- its just has an icy feel that always seems to keep me from enjoying the photo. I have seen some wonderful images taken with the FLE so I guess its not all bad. Some seem to manage the lens well, the tendency seems to be towards this overly "digital" feel while the asph seems to be forgiving and even a bit of rose tinted glasses effect which I love. 

BTW- never noticed any problems with focus shift, it may be there but its way overblown on the internet. 

• Like 3

• 5 years later...

My pre Fle been adjusted in Wetter. I have tested it against FLE , all aperture and distances 0.7/1.5/3/7/infinity....The FLE is not sharper, it shows more contrast and I like the pre Fle better for softer bokeh.

An example (Monochrome CCD), straight out of camera (DNG file)

PRE FLE | f5.6

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

FLE | f5.6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

100% view crops, left PRE FLE, right FLE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Pre Fle at 0,7m 1.4

2. FLE at 0,7m 1.4

Leica Monochrom (CCD) straight out the Camera DNG, no adjustments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same order, f2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2