Informal Survey--Monochrom Sensor Corrosion

fotografr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got both the M9 and the MM1 shortly after each was released, and have never had any sensor corrosion with either of them. I live in Salt Lake City, which is very dry, extremely low humidity. I travel with them to moist climates, but never for more than a few weeks at a time. I suspect it's my dry climate that has kept them fresh.

- David

Edited by davidbaddley

Well, it turns out the camera I bought did have the corrosion issue. I didn't see it at first but as soon as I did a complete test it showed up very clearly. So today I shipped it to New Jersey for sensor replacement. I'm actually kind of glad to be getting this out of the way so I won't have to worry about it anymore. I have a feeling that the person who sold it to the company I bought from knew the sensor was bad and didn't want to deal with it. That's fine with me because once I get it back it's going to be like having a brand new M Monochrom.

Edited by fotografr

Well, it turns out the camera I bought did have the corrosion issue. I didn't see it at first but as soon as I did a complete test it showed up very clearly. So today I shipped it to New Jersey for sensor replacement. I'm actually kind of glad to be getting this out of the way so I won't have to worry about it anymore. I have a feeling that the person who sold it to the company I bought from knew the sensor was bad and didn't want to deal with it. That's fine with me because once I get it back it's going to be like having a brand new M Monochrom.

I'd say bummer, but agree it's a good thing. A little separation anxiety, no doubt, but time flies and it will be back before you know it. Just like new.

John

• 5 weeks later...

Do I understand correctly normally you will not see it but only at smaller than F/11?

What is that complete test?

When I did sensor cleaning test (F/22, grey desktop) I saw many black dust spot, but also a few with light edges. I assumed these were artifacts from the processing (sharpening) but now I am not so sure anymore.

albert

My beloved Monochrom, which I purchased used, began to show signs of corrosion within 6 months of my ownership. The previous owner lived in Florida and I live in Puerto Rico. It was clean and had a recent CLA when I purchased it. I struggled along until the corrosion was too profound to ignore... this was sometime in the early fall 2015. Off it went to Leica NJ for going on four months until a new batch of sensors arrived. It was shipped back to me in January 2016. Sadly signs of corrosion returned about 10 months later. I held on until a week ago and sent it up to Leica NJ. Leica NJ tells me that it will be between 10 to 12 weeks to replace the sensor.

I think the climate here (hot and humid) contributes to the rapid corrosion. I understand that the new sensor replacements will not corrode... I hope that is the case. I'm thinking that I should consider another type of camera... perhaps a used S2 Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I live in Florida, both my MM1 and M9-P have their original sensors and, knock wood, haven't had corrosion issues yet!

Of course I took my MM1 out this weekend and see what looks like corrosion in this picture.  Give me your opinion.  Upper right hand corner and near the subjects glasses.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

attachicon.gifLHOCHMAN_2017042204208.jpg

Of course I took my MM1 out this weekend and see what looks like corrosion in this picture.  Give me your opinion.  Upper right hand corner and near the subjects glasses.

attachicon.gifLHOCHMAN_2017042204208.jpg

You are posting an eye test challenge for Leica population, I can see irregularities in the sky in the area you indicated on my average work (not media optimised) screen.

Can you post a crop of the affected area?

• Like 1

From earlier examples, I think I have at least one spot, that stays even though cleaning. It is invisible upo to F5.6, and I only go beyond with wide-angles. 

This is a 100% crop of the left top image area; the spot I placed in the middel.

I disables sharpening and noise reduction (the latter should be disabled anyway for 320 A on the MM1 in C1).

It looks like it is like the other example in this thread with small pox: the edges, the shape, the light borders. "Standard" dust is hard, and moves from time to time. this is stationary. 

So my body should be made ready for a trip, what do you think? 

albert

Edited by Alberti

From earlier examples, I think I have at least one spot, that stays even though cleaning. It is invisible upo to F5.6, and I only go beyond with wide-angles. 

This is a 100% crop of the left top image area; the spot I placed in the middel.

I disables sharpening and noise reduction (the latter should be disabled anyway for 320 A on the MM1 in C1).

attachicon.gifL1373724 2.jpg

It looks like it is like the other example in this thread with small pox: the edges, the shape, the light borders. "Standard" dust is hard, and moves from time to time. this is stationary. 

albert

It looks like the Pox to me... but if this is the only spot... perhaps you can live with it... just clone it out in post. Also it does not show up when shooting 5.6 and wider... so there is that.

I understand that the corrosion grows over time... so keep an eye open if you decide not to send it in.

attachicon.gifL1373724 2.jpg

albert

That sure looks familiar. Mine had quite a few of those and the sensor was replaced. I cloned them out for a while but it soon became too much. I waited until winter, when I shoot less, so the wait wasn't so bad. . 

John 

• 2 weeks later...

Drive to Jersey and have them taken a look. Real nice folks and they have parking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Leica should set up a simple system where the body is sent in a week or so befoe the actual repair, the work is done within a few days, and the body is sent back.

It's ridiculous that a body sits for weeks or months at Leica collecting dust while waiting to be serviced.

This is Management 101.

Leica NJ says 10 weeks for replacement.  Fortunately my M9 isn't showing the problem.

You should actually hope for the problem to occur in your M9 before the cutoff date of August 15.

What are you being told at this time about when to expect your MM back?

Edited by fotografr

I purchased an MM1 in 2013.  There is no sign of corrosion, even when examined at f16 against a bright sky. I live in NY.  About 2 years ago, I was caught in a forest rain storm during a shoot with the MM1.  I kept it covered in a plastic bag and occasionally took it out partially for a shot or two.  I thought for sure that would start the corrosion problem.  Not so.   Tom

Be warned. I was given inside info that all these CCDs will eventually suffer corrosion. Not IF ... WHEN.

My M Monochrome was one of the first shipped to the USA ... it was fine until I noticed the corrosion in some shots taken in Jan of 2017 the extent of which surprised me ... I went back and reviewed images taken in fall and winter of 2016 and it was already starting to corrode. It only took a few months to spread over the whole sensor.

Mine has been fixed and the camera is as new.

If you see any sign, be it just starting, send it in immediately ... do not live with it because it WILL spread. If you wait you will end up paying for a repair that you should never have to.  

- Marc