Suggestions for a lens longer than 135 (200)mm

gdmiv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I'm interested in a longer telephoto than the 55-135 mm

for my T. Perhaps 300-400mm in 35mm terms.

I am not committed to a manufacturer, but the Leica SL lens

is out of my price range. Could someone please recommend an adapter

and lens that would go well with the T, i.e. not too big. It is for

Daylight outdoor use so it doesn't need to be fast.

Thanks for your input

Doug

Hi

I'm interested in a longer telephoto than the 55-135 mm

for my T. Perhaps 300-400mm in 35mm terms.

I am not committed to a manufacturer, but the Leica SL lens

is out of my price range. Could someone please recommend an adapter

and lens that would go well with the T, i.e. not too big. It is for

Daylight outdoor use so it doesn't need to be fast.

Thanks for your input

Doug

Some people have had success using the Novaflex adapter for Canon lenses. Check B&H's site as they have a list of optional Canon lenses that work with the adapter.

Check reviews of the Canon FD 300/4 L lens … but make sure it's the 'L' version … there's a non-L model which is OK but the 'L' has ED glass and is a superb optic. 300mm = 450mm FF equivalent on the T's APS-C format and being f4 it's not a huge lens.  There's a high quality adapter available from Poland http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/262925-canon-fd-to-sl-adapter-from-poland/?hl=adapter 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Has anyone actually compared the performance of the f2.8 180mm Elmarit R lens with the f3.4 180mm Apo-Telyt? There is a big price difference between the two and I understand that the Apo-Telyt, at least on paper is a superior lens and is smaller. But in actual use, is there really much difference in the resultant image?

Has anyone actually compared the performance of the f2.8 180mm Elmarit R lens with the f3.4 180mm Apo-Telyt? ..

I own both and actually like the Elmarit (non Apo) better. At least when stopped down to f4, it is very sharp. Good contrast and colors, too. Make sure it is the last version before the Apo-Elmarit, as there is also an older version (which is a lot heavier, too).

Andy

I own both and actually like the Elmarit (non Apo) better. At least when stopped down to f4, it is very sharp. Good contrast and colors, too. Make sure it is the last version before the Apo-Elmarit, as there is also an older version (which is a lot heavier, too).

Andy

Thanks Wizard,

You just saved me money because the Apo-Telyt is a lot more money.

Edited by jevidon

• 1 month later...

I ended up buying a Nikon 180mm ED IF. It's weight is in the same neighborhood as the 2.8 Elmarit R. It is mated to the Novoflex NIK-SL adapter. It is very sharp and well built. I'll be taking lots of images with it and if any are worth showing, I'll share.BTW, if set in Aperture preferred, the magnified view come right up when I manual focus. No magnified view if the camera is set on M, however. Since I shoot mostly using mode A, the set-up is fine.

For the M/SL systems, I ended up with two quite light-weight, relatively small, medium tele lenses: Voigtlander 180mm f4 APO Lanthar, and Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR; the latter works well with tele converters as well. I can bring with me one of these on hiking etc. without too much hassle.