Best wide angle for M10

For classic cars I wouldn't go wider than 28. I did not try my Summicron 28 latest yet on the M10, but I must say that my good old Elmarit 24 seems to shine more on the M10 than on the M9

I would vote for 28mm. I would not go shorter. On the other hand: If 28 is still too short you can easily crop a bit on your PC. But with Cropping the angle of view does noch change of course. This has to be considered.

You clearly asked for wide angles. So I do not comment on other focal lengths.

• Like 1

Which wide-angle for Classic car photography and street would people recommend, 21, 24, 28 or 35mm? Currently on SL I have 21 Super Elmar-M.

Having seen some of your car photos, I think a 28 would be good.

But which one?

You might like this, but not perhaps as your only lens: https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/M-Lenses/Summaron-M-28-mm-f-5.6

Ideally though, wouldn't you want something to get you in closer for detail or when you perhaps can't get as physically near to the subject as you'd like.

A nice 75 is a great partner for a 28!

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 1

very good question. is the new Summicron 28 so much better then the older one? Is the Summilux 28mm really so "magical"? Is the Elmarit 28 really just only technically good?

Elmarit 28 vs Summaron 28 is the choice I am looking at.

It just depends how you want the edges and corners at faster speeds

Cron v2 will be strongest

Lux would be sweetest, and if you don't might the weight and have the money I'd get that. Most flexibility.

Then...

Cron v2

Elmarit ASPH (nice and small, but better on film)

Elmarit v4

M-rokkor 28/2.8 (surprisingly good)

It just depends how you want the edges and corners at faster speeds

Cron v2 will be strongest

Lux would be sweetest, and if you don't might the weight and have the money I'd get that. Most flexibility.

Then...

Cron v2

Elmarit ASPH (nice and small, but better on film)

Elmarit v4

M-rokkor 28/2.8 (surprisingly good)

Lux is out on both weight and dosh. Elmarit 2.8 is a good compromise. Cron 2 maybe from your choices.

Edited by Guest

I generally prefer to shoot cars with a portrait telephoto lens, but for "normal" shots of cars I wouldn't go wider than 35mm. Distortion is too great at the shorter distances required.

For extreme shots, well, I use the WATE (set to 21mm most of the time) very happily. :-)

• Like 1

Most of the car pictures I take are where the cars are parked in the street and as there usually many cars at the events closely parked. A 21mm can be useful to get a wider look. A 50mm is too much unless I have room to stand back. a 28mm I think from experence of those events would be about right.

This with the Summicron 28 latest.  More than enough distortion for me...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!