Interview Oliver Kaltner

Guest VVJ

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From the interview with Oliver Kaltner (CEO Leica):  "And if i would put a personal bet on the most important future line that our current have in our portfolio, we have and definitely will remain in our portfolio is the Leica TL. It is the upcoming shining star. Because we are developing further and further into that, it will turn into a mobile device."

http://leicarumors.com/2017/02/03/interview-with-leica-ceo-oliver-kaltner.aspx/

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

I agree.  In a way it is also a little bit like a soccer team saying that they have total confidence in their trainer... 

Unfortunately IMO a few very obvious questions were not asked...

Edited by JorisV

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think quite possibly Oliver may be correct. 

The T and TL are interesting for a couple of reasons:

1) They introduced Leica into a manufacturing process where it could maintain high quality of a precision instrument at low production volume and still make money. This is the path to the future. More and more things will be CNC machined or 3D printed.

2) The UI provides enough that you don't always need to wrap your head around the technical aspects of photography but it mostly gets out of your way and allows you to take good pictures. Homing in on the right balance between simplicity and capability is quite a challenge and it is something that gets refined over time. Remember the first iPhone before there were Apps?

The die hard photographers will grab their M's

The video guys and more modern guys who grew up with SLRs will go for the SL.

A few studio artists and people doing commercial work will go for the S.

If they graduate from their smartphone's camera a few people will buy T like cameras.

• Like 1

The Indonesian translation into English of Kaltner's interview has been withdrawn pending a better translation. If Bencoyote's interpretation is correct, then it is probable that the TL will be with us for a while as a lower production offering. I certainly enjoy my T. It is no replacement for either my M9P or my Olympus Pen F, but it is a fine camera/lens combination capable of very high quality images enabling both manual and point and shoot through use of the sophisticated menu and User customized pre sets. In that regards it is great for grab shots as well as more studied shooting.  I frankly don't know what the attraction is to the Leica Q except that it looks like a more conventional Leica without the added convenience of interchangeable lenses that we have on the unconventional Leica T and TL. It's true that the Q has a FF sensor and better low light response, but for most shooting situations, I think the TL for less money including the wonderful Visoflex (020) EVF and the superb 23mm f2 Summicron is the better bet.

Edited by jevidon

I frankly don't know what the attraction is to the Leica Q except that it looks like a more conventional Leica without the added convenience of interchangeable lenses that we have on the unconventional Leica T and TL. It's true that the Q has a FF sensor and better low light response, but for most shooting situations, I think the TL for less money including the wonderful Visoflex (020) EVF and the superb 23mm f2 Summicron is the better bet.

Surely, you must not have used a Q to make that statement.

Money aside, the Q is head and shoulders a much 'better' instrument than the T with 23mm!  From viewfinder, to no shutter lag, to low light performance, to full frame, to lightning fast AF.  One can even make a good attempt to take action photos with the Q. 

Don't misunderstand, having owned the T I was very fond of it. Its versatility was terrific, and its image quality was excellent. But, I think it very misleading to call it comparable to a Q.  Perhaps you have a more nuanced thought to what you mean by "better bet" than I have given you credit for, and, if so, I apologize.

Rob

Edited by ropo54

Surely, you must not have used a Q to make that statement.

Money aside, the Q is head and shoulders a much 'better' instrument than the T with 23mm!  From viewfinder, to no shutter lag, to low light performance, to full frame, to lightning fast AF.  One can even make a good attempt to take action photos with the Q. 

Don't misunderstand, having owned the T I was very fond of it. Its versatility was terrific, and its image quality was excellent. But, I think it very misleading to call it comparable to a Q.  Perhaps you have a more nuanced thought to what you mean by "better bet" than I have given you credit for, and, if so, I apologize.

Rob

+1.  The Leica Q is in many ways a much better camera than the Leica T: excellent EVF (second only to the Leica SL), much more responsive, better high ISO, very fast AF, an easily accessible and intuitive macro mode, etc.

The Leica T has a/o its stylish design going for it, the innovative touch screen menu, a larger LCD and obviously its versatility compared to a fixed lens camera.

It is as ropo54 points out also an excellent camera with excellent image quality but saying that the T + 23mm is the better bet compared to a Leica Q, not so sure about that...

• Like 1