ELDIA

Pecole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Rummaging further in my drawers, I found new remains of my former Fontenelle collection : three ELDIA and original boxes of successive vintage. This device for making contact prints from Leica negatives was first produced (following Laney) in 1927, and lasted until 1967.

The first I found is black crackle finish, but with nickel plated metallic parts, and knobs inverted, the winding one being at left. The two other ones are identical, also black crackle and with chrome plated metallic parts.

The evolution of the boxes is interesting : the older one, dark red and with old-style golden Leitz logo, the middle "normal" one in lighter red and more modern script, and the 1960-type one totally different, grey cardboard, horizontal frame with sliding-in, fitted container.

ELDIA old (lower) and new model :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ELDIA old model  with nickel plated and inverted knobs, and old-style red box :

"Normal" ELDIA with current red box :

The 1960-style gray box :

And finally a comparision of the three successive boxes :

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this post on the ELDIA.  I would like to share my knowledge and perhaps it will contribute. It is not the most exciting collectible but is interesting to some of us. Production stopped 50 years ago. This photo shows my assortment of ELDIA's!  They just seemed to accumulate over the years.

The photo below shows 3 major variations, there were many minor variations in logo and finish. The item on the left is interesting; it is mentioned in some very early literature but seldom found.  Lager suggests that this is the NEPRI or forerunner of the ELDIA. It is lower in height and has a different method to hold the film to the glass.  I have only seen one other one, it was at a Westlitch auction in 2003, they referred to it as the "flat" Eldia.

The middle item is the early ELDIA with the spring loaded fingers to hold the plate.  The plate is easily removable and the first photo shows the 18 x 24 plate that can be inserted.

The item on the right is the later model ELDIA with hinged swinging plate. The plate can still be removed by pulling the hinge pins and installing plates of other sizes.

The last photo shows the final version, with modern Leitz script rather than the standard condenser logo.  I believe the red box with white circle is the last style of box used.

The finish on the knobs varied from nickle to bright chrome to satin chrome on the very final units.

If anyone has further information on the NEPRI version, it would be appreciated.  Regards.

• Like 2

My modest contribution :

• Like 2

My modest contribution :

Jean-Claude,

What a collection! Is the black paint model the famous NEPRI, predecessor of the ELDIA? I also note that the side of the winding knob varies manifestly without relation to the age of the models.

Leica: ELDIA (NEPRI) mask for 18x24mm
  • Like 1

Thanks for starting this post on the ELDIA.  I would like to share my knowledge and perhaps it will contribute. It is not the most exciting collectible but is interesting to some of us. Production stopped 50 years ago. This photo shows my assortment of ELDIA's!  They just seemed to accumulate over the years.

attachicon.gifIMG_0169.JPG

The photo below shows 3 major variations, there were many minor variations in logo and finish. The item on the left is interesting; it is mentioned in some very early literature but seldom found.  Lager suggests that this is the NEPRI or forerunner of the ELDIA. It is lower in height and has a different method to hold the film to the glass.  I have only seen one other one, it was at a Westlitch auction in 2003, they referred to it as the "flat" Eldia.

The middle item is the early ELDIA with the spring loaded fingers to hold the plate.  The plate is easily removable and the first photo shows the 18 x 24 plate that can be inserted.

The item on the right is the later model ELDIA with hinged swinging plate. The plate can still be removed by pulling the hinge pins and installing plates of other sizes.

attachicon.gifIMG_0170.JPG

The last photo shows the final version, with modern Leitz script rather than the standard condenser logo.  I believe the red box with white circle is the last style of box used.

The finish on the knobs varied from nickle to bright chrome to satin chrome on the very final units.

If anyone has further information on the NEPRI version, it would be appreciated.  Regards.

attachicon.gifIMG_0171.JPG

Marvel, Alan! And your explanations are as precious as the images. I had never seen a photo of the NEPRI, and I agree it is really seldom.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for sharing pictures and information about this little-used but interesting accessory.

I hope that other experts will share similar pictures and information about other Leica accessories such as the FARUX panorama RING, FIBLA/DOOLA level, FIAVI bracket, RASAL and ROSOL viewfinders, and others.