Permanent fix for AF problem on S-lenses

erlingmm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The folks at Dale (Leica Store Miami) are amazing. They always take care of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. The advantage of a solid working relationship with a top drawer dealer can make all the difference in the ownership experience. My dealings with Dale (Leica Miami) have been first rate.

I'm in the USA and purchase a used 006 from Dale in Florida, yes an excellent dealer. I am still waiting a call back on what I should do with my 4 S lenses, I have a 35,70, 120Cs and the 180. I also purchased them all used for about 50%'off of retail. I love my S and when the S007 drops in price I will upgrade, yet to this day the price on used S007 have not really come down like the S006 which can be had for under $5k.

I am nervous like some of us are in regards to failing S AF motor issues. I would hate to go on a trip where ch I have been saving for years just to get there and have my S lenses all of the sudden just fail.

I hope at some point Dale will take all my lenses and send them into Leica for this "upgrade" people have been talking about.

Kuau,

If you are planing on taking the trip of a lifetime, remember the S lens will not fail to focus manually. You can still use the lenses on manual focus on such a trip. 

My analogy would be if an escalator stops running, you can still use the device as stairs, you are not stuck as you would be in an elevator.

The old joke is a sign on a non-moving escalator, "For your convenience the escalator is now stairs"

As I previously commented, I do not plan to send my other lenses back preemptively.

Josh at Dale told me that the turn around time in Germany for repairing my 120 lens was a mere 22 days from when Dale shipped, to when Dale got the lens back repaired. That including customs and shipping on both ends. I think that is fast.  Leica is certainly standing behind their product. I remain curious as to what the solution for AF was, and I look forward to someone in Leica PR being able to explain what went wrong.

Kuau,

If you are planing on taking the trip of a lifetime, remember the S lens will not fail to focus manually. You can still use the lenses on manual focus on such a trip.

Not so for some who have reported here....unable to use at all...others were more fortunate.

Jeff

I just had my 70 Summarit-S fail yesterday :-(

I bought this one brand new but did not use it heavily (less than 3000 shots with this lens over 3 years).

It always worked great and failed without any warning signs.

I turned on the camera, at first the lens was not recognized (the aperture value in the top display would not show).

I then did the usual Leica S hard resets we are so accustomed to (power cycle via power button - no luck - power cycle + lens off and on - no luck - power cycle , lens and battery removal) - at last the lens would be recognized but on powering up the lens AF motor would spin endlessly until the AF motor will stop,

At this point the lens is usable as a manual focus lens only (but the AF motor will spin freely after the camera goes to stand by and wakes up again every time).

!@#$% !!!

Now I am waiting for the day my 35mm will fail as well.

I am so happy that most of my lenses are good old tough as nails Carl Zeiss Contax 645 lenses - no nasty surprises there.

FWIW, some recent comments from David Farkas (Leica Store Miami) on the S and the AF failures:

"Leica is absolutely not abandoning the S System. Please see my interview with the head of Professional Photo, Stephan Schulz from Photokina this past fall. We talk about this very topic. The S007 is still top dog in the Leica line-up with regards to image quality (15+ stops of DR, amazing color, great glass, larger sensor, etc). The S lens motor issues have been resolved with new assemblies, which are making their way into repairs and new lenses alike. And just because they aren’t rolling out new lenses isn’t because the system is dead. Rather, the system has reached maturity."

• Like 1

I just had my 70 Summarit-S fail yesterday :-(

!@#$% !!!

Now I am waiting for the day my 35mm will fail as well.

I am so happy that most of my lenses are good old tough as nails Carl Zeiss Contax 645 lenses - no nasty surprises there.

Dirk,

Sorry to hear about the failure.

Indeed, the Contax 645 adapter is "the permanent solution" for a lot of people. I keep the adapter and my 55mm and 120mm lenses on the bottom of my S-Backpack.

Yevgeny

• Like 2

FWIW, some recent comments from David Farkas (Leica Store Miami) on the S and the AF failures:

"Leica is absolutely not abandoning the S System. Please see my interview with the head of Professional Photo, Stephan Schulz from Photokina this past fall. We talk about this very topic. The S007 is still top dog in the Leica line-up with regards to image quality (15+ stops of DR, amazing color, great glass, larger sensor, etc). The S lens motor issues have been resolved with new assemblies, which are making their way into repairs and new lenses alike. And just because they aren’t rolling out new lenses isn’t because the system is dead. Rather, the system has reached maturity."

As good a guy David Farkas is, people who quote him and people who read the tea leaves in those quotes must always be aware that he is part of the dealership system and may have a conflict of interest in providing information.

You will never hear from him insider news about upcoming gear when he is stocked with current gear at retail.

Anyway - apart from the (oftentimes poisoned) info on the web (just read the latest b(l)urb on the diggloyd site) about the Leica S system - it still remains to be the most usable, most compact complete medium format digital system there is with optics second to none and a range of lenses to use as complete as it gets.

It's great gear and I have never had any bad experience in the several cases where my S gear needed attention in Wetzlar - on the contrary, I was always positively surprised, on one occasion shocked even at how diligent, professional and fast Leica CS has dealt with the issues.

Sure that 70 summarit and the ticking time bomb my 35 Summarit is now is a PITA but I am fully convinced that Leica will make it right - no doubts there.

I have currently zero interest in a higher pixel count body whatsoever - I am sure there are a lot of people who have actual professional use for those more pixels.

It sounds like having a two or even three body S system choice would be a good thing - Leica SM - hint, hint ;-)

More pixels don't interest me - higher dynamic range and a further extended clean ISO range for hand held low light shooting and ESPECIALLY a true monochrome Leica S body and much improved AF performance are much, much higher on my list.

I would not buy a new body though as of the little use I have had out of my S2 gear. It's nice to have, does a few things exceptionally better than the 35mm gear of film gear I use and that's it - great value for money at current second hand prices it is.

• Like 2

As good a guy David Farkas is, people who quote him and people who read the tea leaves in those quotes must always be aware that he is part of the dealership system and may have a conflict of interest in providing information.

You will never hear from him insider news about upcoming gear when he is stocked with current gear at retail.

Hence the FWIW... I am perfectly aware that David Farkas (as much as he contributes to the Leica community) is a sales person and business owner first...