Permanent fix for AF problem on S-lenses

erlingmm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whatever it is, this eventual 008, we can be sure some will still complain it doesn't have something they want. And then we will hear compliants for years until someone thinks a 009 is coming and again and again.... In the meantime, I enjoy seeing the wonderful photos posted in the image thread here and enjoy occasionally strolling with my S and snapping away. For me it can do nearly everything, from razor thin DOF when wanted to incredible landscape shots with resolution from edge to edge and from near to far. Even some handheld lower light shots. Whatever the eventual 008 is, I'm sure I will be interested but it wont change how awesome my 007 is or how awesome my 006 was. 

Sure, I would love even higher ISO ability, lighter weight but not sure I would give up the perfectly ergonomic body and amazing OVF of the 007 for mirrorless with EVF and its inability to work with polarized sunglasses. It would be tough to balance those lenses on a smaller and thinner body, I think. More MP? Sure, I wouldn't kick them out of bed but don't really care if its more or the same. What I care about is the results of the system. 

One thing is for sure, life is short, enjoy it while you can. 

And even before any eventual 008, one can purchase a new 007 system at dealer cost....  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269020-so-a-new-s-is-coming/?p=3205308

I'll wait until Leica gets its act together on S repairs/service/communication...hopefully soon. Meanwhile I'm happy to make beautiful prints with my M system and, if no S announcement is imminent, to continue to test some alternatives for complementary needs, such as the SL or GFX.  The S OVF is fabulous (I demo-ed the 006 for a week)....and a reduced price 007 would be even better.....but not until it's a more reliable and service/communications oriented system.

There's no lack of wonderful gear around....or any excuse not to be out taking pictures and making prints....and that's been true for quite a while.

Jeff

Leica has been reluctant to increase resolution across all platforms, the lenses are not limiting, they almost beg for more resolution.  I would love to see what an S lens could do with 50-70mp, or an M lens with 36-50mp.  Of course quantity is not the only measure and it makes me wonder if Leica is unable to achieve higher resolution without loss of sensor quality.    

According to my main contact at Wetzlar, the solution has gone through severe stress-testing, including temperature extremes. While many have been concerned and upset about the amount of time it has taken, the time and testing indicate that Leica seems to have taken this problem seriously.

Jesse

• Like 3

According to my main contact at Wetzlar, the solution has gone through severe stress-testing, including temperature extremes. While many have been concerned and upset about the amount of time it has taken, the time and testing indicate that Leica seems to have taken this problem seriously.

Jesse

They better be. Anyway, if they fix it, S will still be quite attractive.

From a non-S user, but potentially S-user: Will all existing S-lenses have to be updated, or is the AF problem related to a limited number of lenses? Does Leica cover the cost of upgrading lenses, irrespective of the age of the lens (similar to the M9 sensor corrosion problem?)

• Like 1

I do not have inside information, but my understanding is that there will not be a full call back of all lenses - despite all the noise, a low single-digit percentage are affected.

I assume they will continue repairing lenses that fail at no cost, which is already public policy, like what is done with sensor corrosion on some early M models.

Whether there will be an option to send in a non-faulty lens for upgrade, probably at a cost, remains to be seen.

Edited by erlingmm
  • Like 2

From a non-S user, but potentially S-user: Will all existing S-lenses have to be updated, or is the AF problem related to a limited number of lenses? Does Leica cover the cost of upgrading lenses, irrespective of the age of the lens (similar to the M9 sensor corrosion problem?)

There are various threads on this for more detail.and points of view. Leica has only written that they will service failed AF motors for free, in or out of warranty. Unless practice has recently changed, they will not preemptively service working lenses. There has been no other formal communication on the nature of the problem, the fix(es), the steps being taken, the timing, or the extent of the problem.

As I wrote earlier, I'll decide on S system ownership by how they address each of these issues, especially the ability to purchase new or used lenses with the comfort of knowing that it has been repaired...without additional charge.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I have had one broken one repaired with permanent fix last month and have sent in my other five lenses for permanent fix prophylactically...

Obviously, there was NO charge!

Better to be safe than sorry..

Albert :D:D:D

Others who tried this approach were rejected (earlier threads). It would be nice if this has changed...for anyone, not just some. And even better if Leica formalizes a process, one that expedites repair and return.

Jeff

• Like 2

Interesting...

I would suggest that you call your dealer and have them send back the lenses...

That is what I did..

Albert :):):)

I don't own the system, but how Leica handles the situation...for everyone...will dictate whether I do. I did test it for a week.

Jeff

Just got my 120mm back from Germany

Dale received it from me Jan 5th.

I am not sure when Dale sent it to Germany.

Dale is grouping lenses for shipment, which probably gets better tracking from Germany and ease though customs.

I received it from Dale Feb. 18.

In the intervening five weeks, it was sent to Germany, fixed, returned to Dale, and shipped to me.

1. That's fast enough for me, as I also have a 30-90 zoom, so I could live without the 120 for that time. Had I needed the lens during that time, it still focused, just not with AF. Then I would have held back until I had a month for the fix. If I had a real time issue I guess I could have asked Dale for a loaner.

2. Dale would have the best idea of how many lenses have had the problem. Not sure they are allowed to comment. I am not worried since Leica is solving the problem.

3. I have a 24, 35, 30-90, and 120. I have only had a failure with the 120 so far, so I'm dong OK. I have been in the system almost seven years and I suspect have much less hassle than had I been with another system.

4. There was no charge even though the lens is almost six years old. That is pretty amazing service on a lens out of warrantee. 

5. I have no plans or desire for sending in a lens before it fails. In part, because their fixes may improve over time. I want the latest fix. I don't anticipate them allowing me to do that anyway, as I suspect that if only 10% of lenses are failing, why fix 100%.

6. I have had an S2, a 006, and now a 007 without issues ( other than the fading top display on the S2 which was fixed at no cost.).

I Love the system, love Dale.

Net, Leica is handling the problem very well, and one should always buy from a great dealer.

• Like 2