Permanent fix for AF problem on S-lenses

erlingmm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Users report that they have been notified by Leica that lenses currently will get a permanent fix based on new parts, se some postings in the Fuji thread, too.

I got the same notification for my 24mm, but they are waiting for parts.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

I have also heard that an official statement is close.

• Like 5

Does anyone know if this is for malfunctioning lenses or will Leica recall all lenses?

I don't expect a recall. Despite alle the noise, the problems have been with single-digit percentage of the lenses.

Edited by erlingmm

From leicarumors

Oliver Kaltner: I said yesterday that the Leica M is our backbone, and it is, in our portfolio. But we have to enrich our portfolio all the last three years with introduction of Leica Q, SL, and the forthcoming S actually

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

From leicarumors

Oliver Kaltner: I said yesterday that the Leica M is our backbone, and it is, in our portfolio. But we have to enrich our portfolio all the last three years with introduction of Leica Q, SL, and the forthcoming S actually

Great. Forthcoming S. let's hope it's not a Fuji GFX oem ala Leica Sofort.

lets hope the fuji gfx has a nicer form factor than the fuji instax.

Unless you think Leica SL is as good as instax. Then I will say it is better from my short time with the GFX. It is a true mirrorless and quite versatile. A much more evolve camera than the Leica S. Fast too. The EVF is still not as good as OVF or the SL in my opinion. But it's quite nice package.

Saw that. But judging by the lousy English in that whole interview, I would not be surprised if it is a language translation inaccuracy. After all, this sentence is referring to produchts in "the last three years"...

Edited by leicapages

Does anyone know if this is for malfunctioning lenses or will Leica recall all lenses?

The key for me, assuming a 'permanent fix', is whether Leica will proactively (preventively) service, on a timely basis, any lens sent in for 'upgrade'.  The current process of waiting for a lens to fail, perhaps in the midst of an important trip or assignment, will prevent me from buying into the system....unless dealers will begin selling new/mint lenses that have been certified as repaired or redesigned.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Given this statement of support for a permanent fix, I think used S lenses are a relative bargain at the current depressed prices you see on eBay and elsewhere. If they in fact, introduce a competitive new form of S, then I suspect prices will increase on used lenses as demand resurfaces. If you're committed to the S system, this may well be a time to buy that mint used lens that many seem to be dumping. With the caveat that you may have to ship that lens to Germany for an R&R vacation. 

Edited by rsmphoto

With the renewed interest in digital medium format Leica could steal some thunder from Hasselblad and Fuji with a few leaks of new S bodies and lenses.  Assuming (this one is easy) the lenses will outperform anything from Hasselblad and Fuji, Leica only needs to make a few changed to update the already excellent bodies.  A permanent repair to the lens AF issue would also go a long way to removing concerns by owners and potential buyers.  I am hoping Leica will allow current S lens owners to send those lenses in for permanent AF repair whether working or not.  

Seems shocking to me that they would obsolete the 007 in such a short time. But they do need to up the resolution of the S so the next SL, Q and M can move forward into the 36+MP zone.

I would be equally shocked if the next S is mirrorless because that seems to be redundant to the SL, which has definitely been positioned as a field camera for S owners.

Seems shocking to me that they would obsolete the 007 in such a short time. But they do need to up the resolution of the S so the next SL, Q and M can move forward into the 36+MP zone.

Well, Hasselblad and Phase1 have backs with different resolutions, Leica could also have different S models, for example make the current 007 an "SE" at at lower price point, if there is a new model with higher resolution.

I would be equally shocked if the next S is mirrorless because that seems to be redundant to the SL, which has definitely been positioned as a field camera for S owners.

I don't think they have many options at this point. The S is in a rough state and I can't imagine it's selling, the competition is mounting considerably. They need to wipe the slate clean and do something in a reasonably timely fashion I would think.