The Leica Forum uses cookies. Read the privacy statement for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    OK, understood.

Photo
- - - - -

Permanent fix for AF problem on S-lenses

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 erlingmm

erlingmm

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 590 posts
  • City / Ort:Oslo

Posted 03 February 2017 - 15:24

Advertisement (Gone after free registration)

Users report that they have been notified by Leica that lenses currently will get a permanent fix based on new parts, se some postings in the Fuji thread, too.

I got the same notification for my 24mm, but they are waiting for parts.

Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

I have also heard that an official statement is close.

• peterv, ynp, Deliberate1 and 2 others said thank you
- ErlingMM
Edelknipser

#2 YellowBelly

YellowBelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 15:44

Could that be news of a new body 008 80mp or am I dreaming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 rickgrainger

rickgrainger

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 February 2017 - 17:36

This is fantastic news. I have been so concerned that Leica will just ditch the entire S line completely. There is so much potential for this format if Leica will just push it and keep us informed.

#4 darylgo

darylgo

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 21:28

Does anyone know if this is for malfunctioning lenses or will Leica recall all lenses?

Daryl

#5 erlingmm

erlingmm

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 21:41

Does anyone know if this is for malfunctioning lenses or will Leica recall all lenses?

I don't expect a recall. Despite alle the noise, the problems have been with single-digit percentage of the lenses.

Edited by erlingmm, 03 February 2017 - 21:43.

- ErlingMM
Edelknipser

#6 Paul J

Paul J

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 01:34

From leicarumors

Oliver Kaltner: I said yesterday that the Leica M is our backbone, and it is, in our portfolio. But we have to enrich our portfolio all the last three years with introduction of Leica Q, SL, and the forthcoming S actually

Edited by Paul J, 04 February 2017 - 01:35.

• ynp, rsmphoto, rickgrainger and 1 other said thank you
Perception. Not perfection

#7 xiaubauu2009

xiaubauu2009

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:39

From leicarumors

Oliver Kaltner: I said yesterday that the Leica M is our backbone, and it is, in our portfolio. But we have to enrich our portfolio all the last three years with introduction of Leica Q, SL, and the forthcoming S actually

Great. Forthcoming S. let's hope it's not a Fuji GFX oem ala Leica Sofort.

#8 tom0511

tom0511

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 13:16

Great. Forthcoming S. let's hope it's not a Fuji GFX oem ala Leica Sofort.

lets hope the fuji gfx has a nicer form factor than the fuji instax.

#9 xiaubauu2009

xiaubauu2009

Neuer Benutzer

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 14:20

lets hope the fuji gfx has a nicer form factor than the fuji instax.

Unless you think Leica SL is as good as instax. Then I will say it is better from my short time with the GFX. It is a true mirrorless and quite versatile. A much more evolve camera than the Leica S. Fast too. The EVF is still not as good as OVF or the SL in my opinion. But it's quite nice package.

#10 erlingmm

erlingmm

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 14:50

I don't care about Fuji, if you want one, buy one. I just want a perfect, working S system, possibly with a sensor upgrade.

• peterv, stephan_w, FlashGordonPhotography and 1 other said thank you
- ErlingMM
Edelknipser

#11 relms

relms

Neuer Benutzer

• Premium Member
  • 107 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • City / Ort:Santa Rosa Beach

Posted 04 February 2017 - 16:10

Please, Leica, don't keep us waiting.  Confirm that I and others have made the right choice in staying loyal to the Leica brand in the midst of all the noise around us.

• rickgrainger said thank you to this

#12 leicapages

leicapages

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • City / Ort:Belgium

Posted 04 February 2017 - 16:34

Saw that. But judging by the lousy English in that whole interview, I would not be surprised if it is a language translation inaccuracy. After all, this sentence is referring to produchts in "the last three years"...

Edited by leicapages, 04 February 2017 - 16:34.

#13 Jeff S

Jeff S

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 17:51

The key for me, assuming a 'permanent fix', is whether Leica will proactively (preventively) service, on a timely basis, any lens sent in for 'upgrade'.  The current process of waiting for a lens to fail, perhaps in the midst of an important trip or assignment, will prevent me from buying into the system....unless dealers will begin selling new/mint lenses that have been certified as repaired or redesigned.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S, 04 February 2017 - 17:52.

#14 rsmphoto

rsmphoto

Benutzer

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • City / Ort:Boston

Posted 04 February 2017 - 18:28

Given this statement of support for a permanent fix, I think used S lenses are a relative bargain at the current depressed prices you see on eBay and elsewhere. If they in fact, introduce a competitive new form of S, then I suspect prices will increase on used lenses as demand resurfaces. If you're committed to the S system, this may well be a time to buy that mint used lens that many seem to be dumping. With the caveat that you may have to ship that lens to Germany for an R&R vacation. 

Edited by rsmphoto, 04 February 2017 - 18:32.

#15 Paul J

Paul J

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 19:03

I will wait and see what comes out and what issues are resolved properly before I get excited. It better not be the same sensor in an EVF body.

Edited by Paul J, 04 February 2017 - 19:33.

#16 darylgo

darylgo

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 00:00

With the renewed interest in digital medium format Leica could steal some thunder from Hasselblad and Fuji with a few leaks of new S bodies and lenses.  Assuming (this one is easy) the lenses will outperform anything from Hasselblad and Fuji, Leica only needs to make a few changed to update the already excellent bodies.  A permanent repair to the lens AF issue would also go a long way to removing concerns by owners and potential buyers.  I am hoping Leica will allow current S lens owners to send those lenses in for permanent AF repair whether working or not.  

Daryl

#17 Joshua Lowe

Joshua Lowe

Enemy of the people

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • City / Ort:Los Angeles

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:49

Seems shocking to me that they would obsolete the 007 in such a short time. But they do need to up the resolution of the S so the next SL, Q and M can move forward into the 36+MP zone.

I would be equally shocked if the next S is mirrorless because that seems to be redundant to the SL, which has definitely been positioned as a field camera for S owners.

#18 erlingmm

erlingmm

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 13:19

Seems shocking to me that they would obsolete the 007 in such a short time. But they do need to up the resolution of the S so the next SL, Q and M can move forward into the 36+MP zone.

Well, Hasselblad and Phase1 have backs with different resolutions, Leica could also have different S models, for example make the current 007 an "SE" at at lower price point, if there is a new model with higher resolution.

- ErlingMM
Edelknipser

#19 Paul J

Paul J

Erfahrener Benutzer

• Members
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 14:13

I would be equally shocked if the next S is mirrorless because that seems to be redundant to the SL, which has definitely been positioned as a field camera for S owners.

I don't think they have many options at this point. The S is in a rough state and I can't imagine it's selling, the competition is mounting considerably. They need to wipe the slate clean and do something in a reasonably timely fashion I would think.

#20 jip

jip

Leica Guru

• Members
  • 2,113 posts
  • LocationRotterdam, Netherlands
  • City / Ort:Rotterdam

Posted 06 February 2017 - 17:10

The 007 will be come the S-E model for a little price competing with the competitors and the new 008 might be a higher resolution version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic