St Mary's Hill, Stamford, Lincs. UK

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Earlier this week I acquired a s/h Canon FD Tilt & Shift lens to replace one regrettably sold 20 years ago. Yesterday I tried the lens with the Leica SL for the first time, handheld, on a very 'contrasty lighting' day. Using the 'shift' with camera handheld is possible - but using the 'tilt' handheld is more difficult. Tripod use on narrow Stamford pavements is not possible during 'shopping hours'. Mastering this lens' ergonomics with the SL, and handheld, requires a couple more trips and some 'deep breathing' whilst composing the image … it's a heavy combination and the shift mechanism is 'screw driven' … unlike the Olympus OM 35 shift lens which has a simple 'push to shift' mechanism. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

'YOU' Shop, 30 St Marys Street Street Stamford   … dating from c.1605

' … corner site with L-shaped plan resembling class 3, timber-framed, is late medieval; an early 19th-century room fills the angle. It has a first-floor jetty on the N. and most of the W.; a room at the S. end has a lower roof and no jetty and is probably later. The N.W. room, incorporating a chamfered dragon beam, was originally of two bays with intersecting ceiling beams; it has been extended to the S. to include a third bay, perhaps a passage. A much rebuilt chimney stack on the S. has a brick quatrefoil on the W. face. Scratched in the plaster on the W. gable is the date 1605'

Jaeger Shop, 40 St Marys Street Stamford … Verticals could be better but need to include the chimney; contre jour lighting made composition difficult. 

"… two storeys, attics and cellar, timber-framed walls, class 2, is probably 16th-century. A rear wing may be 17th-century. The street front has a first-floor jetty but the ground stage is entirely modern; the upper stage with recently exposed and heavily restored close-studding has modern windows … A late medieval green-glazed ridge tile was discovered in the roof space in 1974; it has a housing for a finial. Later fittings include an 18th-century stair with splat balusters of shaped profile.' 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

Quite a challenge hand held with your new tilt and shift lens, especially dealing with slanted streets and out-of-plumb buildings. Nicely done! Thanks for your architectural descriptions, they are valuable to those of us interested in these details of these most interesting buildings. Look forward to your posts, they add a lot of class to this neglected thread.  Have you tried out this lens on any interiors that you describe?

• Like 1

Quite a challenge hand held with your new tilt and shift lens, especially dealing with slanted streets and out-of-plumb buildings. Nicely done! Thanks for your architectural descriptions, they are valuable to those of us interested in these details of these most interesting buildings. Look forward to your posts, they add a lot of class to this neglected thread.  Have you tried out this lens on any interiors that you describe?

No interior experiments yet but some Peterborough Cathedral interior photography is planned where there are e.g. interesting ceilings, stained glass and tapestries. I'm not sure if can obtain permission to photograph the Stamford buildings' interiors but Stamford church interiors should be possible. 

dunk 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice series. I've never been to Stamford (never even heard of it to be honest) but it looks great, very 'middle England.'

I like the King's Head with the corner of a Cemetery just squished up against the pub, classic. You should sneak in a half of cellar pumped Adnams, only natural fizz and not much at that!

I far prefer the shifted lens corrected verticals. Personally I find software corrected verticals can be a bit jarring, especially at very wide angles such as the Church rear right in the first shot - but then I also share everyone else's keen eye for keystoning.

Great shots and contextual info, keep them coming!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Composite panoramic, Red Lion Square Stamford, Lincs.  All Saints Church on LHS and St John's Church on RHS. 

16 overlapping vertical 'slices' stitched together using PS Elements 'Panorama' facility … handheld Sony A7S & Leica 19mm Elmarit R Mk II … the only lens with me at the time and not the best tool for the job. 

The RHS was featured in previous B&W image http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268953-st-marys-hill-stamford-lincs-uk/?p=3203231

Best wishes

dunk 

Stamford Meadows panoramic featuring All Saints Church, St John's Church and St Mary's Church

4/3 format Olympus E5 DSLR with PanaLeica 14-150mm f3.5-5.6 … on a very bright day.  Original composite has 16 components but was cropped to exclude RHS which had no architecture.

Note lady walking on pathway across the meadows appears twice … an anomaly which can happen when photographing the panoramic's components. 

Best wishes

dunk 

Also photographed the churches' towers from Stamford Meadows using an ancient Leitz 560/6.8 Telyt R lens … an achromatic (two element) 'telescope' lens with 'trombone' push-pull focusing. Objective was to obtain close up detail of the church towers/steeples and also ascertain if practical to use the lens with Leitz APO 2x and 1.4 extenders … thus extending the lens focal length to 784mm f9.52 and 1120mm f13.6. Lens was adapted to Sony A7S camera via a Novoflex Leica R to NEX adapter; to aid stability a Manfrotto long lens support with a Novoflex fork mount was clamped to the Gitzo tripod . Focusing with the extenders was very difficult partly due to the very small DOF but mainly because of high winds … the lens acted like a sail and was vibrating. To further aid stability the ISO was increased to 10000 (well within the low light A7S camera's capability)  thus enabling faster shutter speeds. Unfortunately I lost most of the images when loading to Photoshop but the few saved demonstrate the lens' capability … it's a 50 plus year old lens and I'm happy with it. Focusing was further assisted buy using the A7S' viewfinder image two step magnification; the high wind made focusing very difficult. 

Apparatus photographed with Leica C compact:  Gitzo tripod, Jobu gimbal, Sony A7S with Novoflex Leica R to NEX adapter, Leitz Teyt-R 560/6.8 and Manfrotto long lens support with Novoflex fork mount.

All Saints Church is 303 metres distant from the camera position … measured via Google map facility. 

First photo of All Saints Church Tower using 560mm lens without extenders 

​The church dates from the 13th C https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Saints%27_Church,_Stamford

cont'd …   

• Like 1

Second photo All Saints Church Tower using 560mm lens with 1.4x APO extender

Third photo of All Saints Church Tower using 560mm lens with  2x APO extender 

Stacked extenders were also tried i.e. 2.8x = 1568mm … which worked but the wind made focusing impossible … so will try again on another day 

5 years ago Peterborough Photographic Society arranged for a group of members to visit All Saints Church when we climbed the tower and witnessed the wonderful view from the castellated parapet … and of course also took photos … but I did not use a Leica camera for the trip.  I used a Contarex Bulls Eye with 21mm lens.  The parapet is very tight … hardly room for two people to squeeze past each other … but a colleague managed to haul up his LF camera and tripod and somehow set it up in a corner position where the legs could be splayed out. 

Best wishes

dunk 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Couple more featuring All Saints Church Stamford but take from just over 2 miles distant at Church of All Saints, Easton on the Hill using Leica SL and c.1972 800mm f6.3 Telyt 

Leica SL with 800mm 

cont'd … 

Closer view of All Saints Church Stamford … also taken from Easton on the Hill approx 2 miles distant but with TL2 and 800mm Telyt plus Leitz 1.4x APO extender 

dunk 

• Like 2