A few months in, how is the M-D ?

colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M8,2 and a Q, I prefer the images from the Leica lenses I have on the M8,2 but in use the Q is a totally different camera.

Having the Q has me wanting to go full frame that has started me to look at the M-D or M10.

When I asked about image quality I am thinking more of sensor problems such as banding, colour artifacts, ect., the Q is not perfect in this aspect. 

I am still using a Nikon F3, the developing and printing is tedious but I prefer taking  pictures with this camera.

If the M-D had a frame counter and battery indicator like the M8 plus a exposure compensator dial it would be almost the same as using the F3.

I don't see any banding with the M-D unless I go to ISO 3200 or above and underexpose by 4 to 6 stops. Pretty much the same as for any digital camera.

I haven't seen any color artifacts except with lenses that don't have a good match to the sensor. For instance, my Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 is a old-fashioned style symmetrical lens formula and causes some color shading across the frame. It's best to use six-bit coded Leica lenses, particularly with short focal lengths, because lens corrections for them are automatically enabled that help eliminate such artifacts ... my Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 shows virtually no artifacts at all.

• Like 1

I have an M8,2 and a Q, I prefer the images from the Leica lenses I have on the M8,2 but in use the Q is a totally different camera.

Having the Q has me wanting to go full frame that has started me to look at the M-D or M10.

When I asked about image quality I am thinking more of sensor problems such as banding, colour artifacts, ect., the Q is not perfect in this aspect. 

I am still using a Nikon F3, the developing and printing is tedious but I prefer taking  pictures with this camera.

If the M-D had a frame counter and battery indicator like the M8 plus a exposure compensator dial it would be almost the same as using the F3.

I just  bought a M-D few days ago - so take my comments with grain of salt.

Of course, I saw plenty of M10 files and even handled one.

As per other comments, they are correct : M10 is stellar on higher ISO's, on lower ISO's you will be hard to press the difference on 262 and even 240 cameras.

M10 will be lighter ( quite noticable ) and smaller ( not so, but you do when you compare them next to each other ). Files, up to 1600 I barely see any difference when shooting them side by side - even the color pallete on skin tones, to be honest.

M-D however, more than the files and the VF ( also noticable the increased size on the M10 ) , is the "state of mind" that differentiate them.

you have no live view. you have no options ( apart from ISO ), you have no LCD whatsoever. So its a camera with a complete different mindset.

Myself, I went for the M-D for a that specific reason and because that sparkles me something which the M10 doesnt - and I have perfect knowladge that the M10 is a superior camera. But the M-D has that "zing". 

So you are comparing a Ferrari and a Range Rover - both brilliant, albeit both with 4 tyres, very diiferent approaches to do the same thing.

Think again what YOU really want :)

• Like 4

Actually it has all three ... LED gives exposures left battery percentage left and the thumb wheel works to dial in exposure comp.

Traded my Q for the M-D and would not go back. Q is fabulous but a bit too automated ... M-D is fast intuitive and allows you to

get closer to the flow ... much less worry about what happened as to what is available now.

Bob

Again, I'm using the MD for a few days only now. But ( vs a M9, dont know the Q ) the ISO is greatly improved.

I just took a indoor ISO 1600 and its clean. I'm impressed.

Banding, in my experience, shows when you push a underexposed file. The M9 is notorious for that - that much that I usually shoot with a +3/4 EV - its easier to get back than pushing up. The M8 was a bit on the terrible side for this lol.

I got at least a couple underexposed MD shoots and pushing them, I didnt say banding at all - but again, I'm still early on my MD experience :)

Regarding your questions : MD does have a frame counter ( push the silver button once, will show on the OVF ) and a battery indicator ( push the silver button twice, will show on the OVF ) and even a EV compensation ( push silver button and turn wheel ). However, all this and setting the date ( plus selecting the ISO ) its pretty much ALL the features of the MD ehhehehe.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I realize the use of the viewfinder for info and date setting, would still prefer the M8 type frame counter/battery capacity and exposure compensation dial on the body.

I'm really liking the simplicity of the MD, but I must check the M10 viewfinder before I decide. 

• 1 month later...

I enjoy using my M-D and would not consider trading it for M10.

A week or two ago, I had the good fortune of being at my favorite camera shop when the local Leica representative walked in to demo the M10 and SL. During my conversation with him I commented that I had purchased M-D and, although I loved the size reduction of M10, I would not be interested in trading M-D for M10. He then, unprovoked by anything I said, commmented that it was "possible an M-D type camera, but based on M10, may be in future." ......As you can imagine, that statement was the most memorable of my visit to the store.

I enjoy using my M-D and would not consider trading it for M10.

A week or two ago, I had the good fortune of being at my favorite camera shop when the local Leica representative walked in to demo the M10 and SL. During my conversation with him I commented that I had purchased M-D and, although I loved the size reduction of M10, I would not be interested in trading M-D for M10. He then, unprovoked by anything I said, commmented that it was "possible an M-D type camera, but based on M10, may be in future." ......As you can imagine, that statement was the most memorable of my visit to the store.

That would be amazing! Although I have bought my M-D and still will not buy the MD10 but it will be great for others looking to join in on this experience. PS. I still love my M-D. 

That would be amazing! Although I have bought my M-D and still will not buy the MD10 but it will be great for others looking to join in on this experience. PS. I still love my M-D.

The advances in modern digital cameras is pretty much lost on me. My evaluation of M10 was pretty much limited to focusing, snapping, and starring, slack-jawed, at the mesmerizing images that appeared on LCD. the one thing that did strike me was the size and weight of M10. I had my M7 in car, so I was able to do a side-by-side. To feel and hoist M10 is a lot more convincing than just looking at side-by-side illustrations or reading specs. They are getting really close to M7 size. In fact, I would say that it is so close that, unless you frequently shifted from M7 to M10....and just started shooting m10 full time, you would cease to notice any difference. If they do come out with an MD10, I will order one. Speculative value related to small number of M-D cameras notwithstanding.

But, to get back to original post, I would not give up my M-D for any other, currently available Leica M. In fact, the M-D is just another example of something I re-learn with every Leica I purchase: Leica seems to know what I want better than I know what I want. :)

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

As a former M240/M-P240/M246 owner I did notice and appreciate the quieter shutter.

I still have not had the M-D very long, but it got a full day's use in Paris earlier this month. There were one or two occasions where I would have liked either live view to get my framing just right, or two check the histogram, but by and large I really enjoyed shooting without chimping.

As we know from all other M cameras, when you approach a scene and are anticipating taking a photo, full manual control allows us to select aperture, shutter speed and scale focus just by touch, without having to look at the camera. The M-D adds the possibility to adjust ISO the same way (e.g. step indoors / into deep shadow, and 'find' ISO with two thumbs, while focusing eyes on the subject). 

Because of the reviews of Steve Huff and Thorsden Von Overgaard, I have owned an M-D since the new year and I can categorically say I absolutely LOVE IT. I longed for this type of camera since the early days of digital when I retired my Minolta SRT 101 for an Olympus C8080. I had a few canon SLRs. When Fuji came out with the X100, I fell in love with the concept and snapped one of the first ones up. Unfortunately it reminded me of driving my wife’s poor old 1999 Hyundai Accent, the controls always felt like they were connected by an elastic band or wool. There was that nagging delay between making an input and the camera reacting. I now have a selection of great Fuji Xs, which I must say I am very happy with plus some beautiful and fast glass but I still longed for something that put me 100% in instant control with no digital distractions. I dug out my old Minolta from college and threw in a roll of slide. It felt great. Unfortunately the film was returned to me in the prepaid envelop untouched. I guess the lab is no longer in business. I was very disappointed, especially after the feeling I got from composing those 36 carefully selected shots. The M-D is just what I was looking for. The 240 and now M10 don't interest me. The M-D is now the only camera I take out with me when not on a paid shoot although I did take it as a backup and got some nice shots for the client. A stranger offered to take a shot of us at the beach last week. I narrowed the aperture and prefocussed the camera for her and when I handed it over she just looked at the back and said what do I press? It's amusing seeing people so baffled by something so simple. It is the essence of photography for the 21st century, no regrets.

Edited by MGC
  • Like 2

I just  bought a M-D few days ago - so take my comments with grain of salt.

M10 will be lighter ( quite noticable ) and smaller ( not so, but you do when you compare them next to each other ). Files, up to 1600 I barely see any difference when shooting them side by side - even the color pallete on skin tones, to be honest.

)

Lighter then what ?

For all practical usage the M10 is the same weight as the M240 and its variants (except the pure 262)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick tip, I've been told by reliable source that the M-D will be out of production (or is already?) and it's not even mentioned in the new Leica M catalog that got published just a few weeks ago. This is a side note from our conversation... 

"buy it now while there is a few left...very few was produced, actually less than the M60 edition, and this will make the prices skyrocket in the near future."

I really hope this is not right, because way more people deserves to get this wonderful camera.

I can't believe that there is not a marked for such a camera...people have asked for this camera for years and years on various forums, polls etc... very strange, but most likely, they will mainly focus on the M10 platform, and of course a M10D will not be released before the end of the line for that model...as they always do

I met a few Leica users here locally and they claimed the same... in my opinion, its a great concept. I would personally not buy it coz i sometimes need to verify what i did. For e.g.: took a trip to Arctic Circle wit my M-D. Clicking photos of some nice scenery, just to go home and realize.. should have exposed it by a few stops or under exposed it by a few stop. Damn it i can't go back there again. Such moments occur in most people's lives if there is not screen. Now if there was a way to have the viewfinder work on it like other bodies, i would consider it. All i need to see is the histogram. The camera is beautiful, a bit more sturdy in my opinion and much more fun. Will i buy it? May be, only if i had all the lenses and bodies i need, i would have.. 

The M-D is now the only camera I take out with me when not on a paid shoot although I did take it as a backup and got some nice shots for the client. 

You made a very important distinction here.. My thoughts ditto. I would buy it when the image is not going to impact my wallet directly. to me this is like should i buy a harley davidson or Honda Accord. .. i don't like accord but just saying.