Choosing One Leica Lens

strolee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Depends on your style- are you more of a detached observer? In that case 50 - or possibly 35 would be your focal length. If you are more of a getting-in-close type of  person a 28 would be better.

Unless you are into shallow DOF type of photography, there is no need to pay extra for high speed given  the ISO performance of the M10.

To paraphrase what someone else once said on the forum: with a 50, you are effectively taking a step toward the scene; with a 35, you are taking a step back; with a 28 (or wider), you are part of the scene.

• Like 2

If I had to choose only one lens for street shooting, the 35 lux FLE would be. Very versatile, very sharp even wide open, perfectly balanced on my MM....I have the 50 and 90 APO, both terrific lenses, but for street I´d choose the 35.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For the best ever argument written about the Summicron vs the Summilux read this: The legend of Lux-do

Even with the high ISO capabilities of the M10, you may find yourself in a situation where it gets very very dark.

I shot a march/protest back in the day when the cap was 1600 ISO, using two lenses: 35mm Summilux pre-asph, gradually stopping down as the light started fading. When it got pitch black, I pulled out the f/1Noctilux and kept using it until the tear-gas came out.

As for the focal length, everyone has his/her own preference. If you don't know what yours is, I'd suggest renting or borrowing a few lenses to see which is right for you before buying.

ETA: Check out Leica M Lenses in this forum.

Edited by coup de foudre
  • Like 2

For the best ever argument written about the Summicron vs the Summilux read this: The legend of Lux-do

Even with the high ISO capabilities of the M10, you may find yourself in a situation where it gets very very dark.

I shot a march/protest back in the day when the cap was 1600 ISO, using two lenses: 35mm Summilux pre-asph, gradually stopping down as the light started fading. When it got pitch black, I pulled out the f/1Noctilux and kept using it until the tear-gas came out.

As for the focal length, everyone has his/her own preference. If you don't know what yours is, I'd suggest renting or borrowing a few lenses to see which is right for you before buying.

ETA: Check out Leica M Lenses in this forum.

It is interesting reading, but almost incomprehensible. Probably too much from analog times.

But why discuss so much about the difference of one stop.  Buy the lens you like. And if the results are great, then perfect. And if they are not, you lost some money - not so bad. You probably have lost money, before. Not the first time you made a mistake, at least you had some fun.

But I muss confess that this is not making progress, these discussions are the same since ...  decades. Different lenses have been used before, but investing time in different photographic topics is often much more rewarding.

Take a new camera like the X1D, only very few lenses, no choice at all. Still people find it inspiring, because they plan to use it for new topics, or at least for a new approach to the "old" topics.

It is interesting reading, but almost incomprehensible. Probably too much from analog times.

But why discuss so much about the difference of one stop.  Buy the lens you like. And if the results are great, then perfect. And if they are not, you lost some money - not so bad. You probably have lost money, before. Not the first time you made a mistake, at least you had some fun.

But I muss confess that this is not making progress, these discussions are the same since ...  decades. Different lenses have been used before, but investing time in different photographic topics is often much more rewarding.

Take a new camera like the X1D, only very few lenses, no choice at all. Still people find it inspiring, because they plan to use it for new topics, or at least for a new approach to the "old" topics.

Wow! Excuse me for daring to bring up something that is too analogue for you  :rolleyes:  Just because a lot of the more luscious M lenses come from back in the analogue era doesn't mean it's relevant, eh?

IMO, one stop can make or break a shot, if you're planning on shooting the unknown. I was lucky enough to have been given that advice on my first Leica lens and was just passing it on. I honestly had no idea why at the time but, when I was shooting in dark metros and the like, I was very grateful for the advice.

No matter, OP hasn't come back, so we can just hope he/she is out there happily shooting on the new M10.

I've always been a 50'ies guy and my main Leica M lens is the 50'lux ASPH (love that lens) which is great for all around shooting with an emphasis of documenting my family. However, if I only could have ONE lens and my focus was street/travel, I would pick up the 35'lux ASPH FLE and be there. 

BTW, I wish there was a .85 VF M10 for us 50'ies shooters. 

• Like 1

35mm then 50mm then 24/25mm then 90mm ........

f1.2/1.4 for 35mm and 50mm

Recommended 35mm

1) Leica 35mm f1.4 FLE (the lightest f1.4, sharp but dreamy)

2) Zeiss 35mm f1.4 ZM (heavier, the sharpest 35mm f1.4, contrast to die for, not as moody as Leica)

3) Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 II VM (etherial but heavy. Boy this has character)

4) Voigtlander 35mm f1.7 VM (sharp and light. Cheap but class leading)

f2 and above ? I recommend Leica 35mm f2.4 or 2.5 - knockout

50mm

1) Leica 50mm f1.4 ASPH (the benchmark for light vs lite, super sharp, etherial at f1.4)

2) Leica 50mm f0.95 (if you are crazy like a fool and are man enough to handle f0.95)

f2 and above ? Zeiss 50mm f2 ZM or Leica 50mm f2.4 or 2.5

best of luck

most of us own(ed) more then one lens at the same focal length, its all character ...

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

Thanks so much everyone for all of the great comments and recommendations in response to my post. Still waiting for my M10 to arrive, but in the meantime, I think that I am definitely leaning towards a 35 lens. Now just have to decide which one.

TBH, I must confess to having great fun discovering the Summilux 15 asph on my GX8 right  now.. Sorry for the diversion, just to show we should not get hung up on clichés.

How dare you Jaap!

Leica has been selling us cliches for decades, the least we can do is drink to kool-aid! 

Therefore, it must be either a 28, 35 or 50 summicron or summilux or your M10 will refuse to take world-changing street photos.

:D