Choosing One Leica Lens

strolee

Simple: 35mm summicron asph.

In this day and age of high ISO, you don't need 1.4 speed (and don't want the bulk) and the 35/2 has long been a Leica benchmark and bestseller, for good reason.

If you're steeped in the 50-as-normal tradition then go with that, but definitely not my choice for street. 28 is lovely in the streets if you know what you're doing and don't mind getting up in grills, but it's a bit fussy to compose if you really are only going to use it as your only option.

28+50 a common and extremely versatile two lens kit but I suspect 90% of responses here will be a 35/2 if you're looking for just one Leica lens that covers every use case and in my opinion embodies the essence of M rangefinder photography. Any version will do.

• Like 1

Depends on your style- are you more of a detached observer? In that case 50 - or possibly 35 would be your focal length. If you are more of a getting-in-close type of  person a 28 would be better.

Unless you are into shallow DOF type of photography, there is no need to pay extra for high speed given  the ISO performance of the M10.

@Ian: I make it a rule to repond to this question twice a year. This is the first time in 2017... :lol:

• Like 11

I think Jaapv has provided the answer to help you in your choice. Another thought or two from me: it's somewhat counter intuitive, but the closer you get to your prey, the easier it is to take pictures of strangers. I guess it's something to do with our evolution and being hunted ourselves, ie only friendly individuals are allowed to come close to us. I use a 35mm/f2 and I'm more than happy with the FOV and the relative distance to people on the street.

As a personal thing I do street photography (and a great deal of it in various parts of the developing world) only after eye contact and, usually, pointing to the camera confirms a willingness to be photographed.  At that point, I can compose at will and usually like the perspective of a 50mm and often open up a Summilux to get the depth of focus I want.

It is so personal. You have to look at your street pictures and decide it to your self.

HCB did it with 50mm predominantly and this focal length dictates a lot and keep you in the frame a lot.

GW stared with 50 and it is is visible in his earlier pictures, took 28 as main focal length and it lasts for decades with him. 28 mm is very tough focus distance, you need to be very close to have good shots and you need to watch a lot in the corners if you are taking streetscapes photos. I chickened out from 28 mm, find 50 to be too tele and settled with 35mm as many other known or hobby photogs did.

With M10 high ISO capabilities no wide aperture is required. Summarit-M 35 2.4 will do nicely. I have previous version of it and it is the only one lens I actually need. I have one film, one digital M and want to add another digital M, but the only lens I need is 35mm.  Summarit-M 35 build and ergonomics are perfect for fast and intuitive focusing. I'm not using RF for street often, not the scale focusing either, but zone focusing with the focus tab.   

• Like 1

A 35 Summicron.

I've always preferred a 35 when shooting color and a 50 when shooting B&W. The 35 is a very safe, all purpose lens. It conveys the scene fully while retaining its essential size relationships without distortion. The 50, on the other hand, concentrates your vision on the action taking place in front of you. Both are essential tools but the 35 is a safer first choice... especially on a Leica.

All of the Leica 35s are good lenses. I use a 35 Summicron type IV partly because I like the size and the way it draws but mostly because it is a dependable old friend.

• Like 3

Would love some input from the group here. If you were able to only buy one Leica lens to use with your new M10, for primarily street photography, which lens would it be? And any of your thoughts on the reasoning would be greatly appreciated.

I would buy a Leica Q. There is no need for an interchangable lens camera platform when you buy only one lens. If budget wise you are now limited to one lens, even then the Q is not "inferior" to an M with say a 35 to start with. Buy the Q now and upgrade later when budget allows.

Like others said 35 is natural on an M. But please also conscider old Leica lenses and pick two of them for the price of one new. Then come back here to start the debate "Choosing only two Leica lenses" :-)

• Like 2

here's something I struggle with all the time. I like the handling of the 35mm Summicron ASPH and like the slightly tighter FOV of the 50mm Summilux pre-asph. They're almost the same weight and size (if you leave the hood on the 35mm. But the tab on the 35 is so convenient. I did buy the TAAB for my 50mm, but it's an ugly mound that ruins the beauty of the 50 lux pre-asph ~ yes, I do admire my jewelry. 

I will say I have episodes where I'll shoot with just the 50 or just the 35 for a few weeks at a time. I consider it to be stretching my FOV muscles.

• Like 1

Easy, A 35mm Summicron, v4. Do you like the convex or concave focus tab? Oh wait, it's February already, therefore the 35mm Summilux Aspherical is the one to get. Or why not the new 28mm Summaron, but then just get the original and be super retro cool rather than modern wanna be retro not-so-cool. But then HCB used a 50mm, so it's got to be the 50mm Summicron. Do you like a focus tab? I heard Rene Burri used a 90mm a lot, so the 90mm Summicron has to be the best, but it's a bit clinical, so you should go for the pre-asph version. But then the tele-Elmarit is so small, but don't forget the hood! Now that we're taking small, how about the 50mm Elmar-M, it's collapsible. But again I suppose you should get the original, but then why not the collapsible Summicron? The extra speed will be useful. Oh extra speed, a 50mm Summilux, latest version, but then why not a Noctilux? Something wider? The 21mm Summilux is the best. But it's a little big, and do you really need the speed with all this high ISO of modern cameras? The 21mm super Elmar is unmatched.

I'll stop now :D

• Like 3

A 35 Summicron.

I've always preferred a 35 when shooting color and a 50 when shooting B&W. The 35 is a very safe, all purpose lens. It conveys the scene fully while retaining its essential size relationships without distortion. The 50, on the other hand, concentrates your vision on the action taking place in front of you. Both are essential tools but the 35 is a safer first choice... especially on a Leica.

All of the Leica 35s are good lenses. I use a 35 Summicron type IV partly because I like the size and the way it draws but mostly because it is a dependable old friend.

Interesting take on this topic. I've got an ME and MM and also have a 35mm Nokton and 50mm Summicron. After much switching back and forth, I too have settled on the 35 for color and the 50 for BW, tho I haven't decided why I decided this way. Your explanation is plausible.

• Like 1

I'd go on flickr and do a search to compare:

35 Cron ASPH, 35 FLE.

The FLE is spectacular, if at times demanding, as Allen shows so well. The cron handling will not be beat, but it's a VERY modern lens. FLE is sweeter I think.

Ashwin is killing it with the FLE on M10:

https://flic.kr/p/QrfTbD

and you will not do this with any cron:

https://flic.kr/p/Rmu6HG

However, if speed is really not an issue since M10 can do high ISO, then you might consider the most loved 35 at the moment: ZM 35/2.8 Biogon-C. Its also small, very strong, with fantastic street flavor.

In purely technical terms the ZM 35/1.4 is maybe the best, but a bit big. Not that heavy though. The older 35 crons each have a particular look. Most coveted is the 8-element. A clean one is worth more the ASPH.

If you can take it wider, and have money and biceps, 28 Lux would be rich. At 50 I'm not sure we know how the LUX asph is looking yet. You could make a gang member cry with that lens on M9. It's following is less fervent on 240. CV 50/1.5 M is going to be great, APO fantastic:

https://flic.kr/p/Rbv21D

(I'll still take the FLE, but that guy is a tad over the top on contrast, so I suspect its nicer than that.)

v4 cron even likes Sonys and is the most underrated of the greats, and the best deal for what you get....maybe ;)

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 1

Simple: 35mm summicron asph.

In this day and age of high ISO, you don't need 1.4 speed (and don't want the bulk)

Anyone else find this kinda short sighted and odd?

I mean, I see rad light in the alleyways at night, especially on a rainy night and I am either longing for a tripod or bracing against a pole or trash dumpster at 1/4 of a second at 1.4 at ISO 3,200.

If you gave me usable ISO 100,000 and a 1.4 lens, I sure as heck would find a use for it.

• Like 4